- Text Size +
AJ’s POV

I got in my car and left. I couldn’t stay there anymore. I knew that if I did, I would end up doing something that I would later regret. Something just got to me. I don’t know what it was. Maybe it was the fact that she was right in some of the things she said. Hell, she was right in most of the things she said. It was the fact that she knew him like the back of her hand. She knew the right buttons to push to send him over the edge. It really does bother me that she’s interested in Nick. I don’t want her to get hurt. If Nick takes her down with him, I don’t know what I would do.



Back At Howie’s House

Anna stared at the road where AJ left. She felt a hand on her shoulder and she figured it was Kevin’s. She turned around to face the group. Kevin was standing right next to her. He said, “ What happened?”

“ You saw what happened.” She said looking him in the eye.

“ What happened before I came out?” asked Kevin.

“ I don’t want to talk about it.” Said Anna as she sagged against Kevin’s chest.

He sighed and said, “ Hey guys, why don’t you go inside. We’ll be in a little while.”

The guys left and Kevin led Anna to the porch. She hugged him as he said, “ Why do you always do this to him?”

“ It was actually his fault this time. He deserved it.”

“ But, Ann. You know how he is.”

“ Yeah and he knows how I am. What does that have to do with anything?”

“ It has to do with everything. Both of you are very stubborn people and when you fight, you fight like hell. Do you really think that what you said here was true?”

“ I think the whole thing caught me off guard.”

They sat down and Kevin asked, “ What caught you off guard? Nick, or AJ?”

“ Both. I wasn’t expecting Nick to kiss me, or Alex to get pissed at me. I wasn’t expecting us to fight like that. I wasn’t expecting any of it.”

“ Yeah, but it happened. I think there were words shared today that could have destroyed a friendship. You will both later regret saying what you said today.”

“ I think that that stuff has been buried for the past few moths and we finally got it out in the open. I’m afraid, Kev. I’m so afraid.”

“ I know you are. I’ll talk to him. How about that?”

“ Okay. Just don’t yell at him please. He doesn’t need that.”

“ Okay. I won’t.’ said Kevin as he took his cell phone out of his pocket. He dialed AJ’s number and waited for him to answer.

“Hello?”

“ AJ?”

“ Kevin. What the hell are you calling me for?” asked AJ sounding surprised.

“ I wanted to make sure you didn’t do anything stupid. I know how you two are.”

“ Kev, I’m fine. I just had to get away before I did something that I would’ve regretted.”

“ Good idea.”

“ By the way, there is only one of me. There is no longer ‘two of us.’”

“ What?”

“ She pissed me off so much that I don’t think I can stand to be around her anymore. I just can’t handle it.”

“ You have to be kidding me. You’ve not serious. You guys will work this out. You always do.”

“ Not this time, Kev. She hit some buttons that pushed me over the edge. I think we were both waiting for someone to say something. It was inevitable. We couldn’t help what we said.”

“ But why now?”

“ I don’t know. All I know is that she said some crap that I can’t get out of my head. It keeps replaying in my mind like a horror movie. It made me realize that she hates me. It’s almost like she resents having this relationship.”

“ That’s not true Aje. She loves you like a brother.”

“ Well, once upon a time she might have. Things have changed Kev. People have grown up, and some have grown away. I got to thinking earlier and she had reason to say the things she said. They were all true. She shouldn’t be around me. I’m no good for her.”

“What are you talking about. You’re not making any sense.”

“ I told her that I didn’t want her to get sucked into Nick’s world. She told me that she’s been living in his world for 10 years, and that I lived in the exact same world he does.”

“ So.”

“ So, that means that if I’m telling her that Nick is no good, then I’m also telling her that I’m no good either. She reminded me of it.”

“ What do you mean?”

He sighed and said, “ she reminded me about my drinking problem before and that I was a player.”

“ God, why do you tear each other apart. What good is it for? It gets you nowhere.”

“ Believe me Kev, I know.”

“ Then why do you do it?”

“ I don’t know. Just tell her that I’ll be at the beach for awhile, and that I will be seeing her around.” Said AJ.

“ Fine. You don’t know what you’re doing. You are throwing a great friendship down the tubes.” Said Kevin sighing in defeat.

“ It was meant to be Kevin.” Said AJ as he hung up.