- Text Size +
Chapter 5




Kevin came out of the house to check on Anna. He knelt down beside her and put a hand on her back. She shrugged it off.


He sighed and said, “ Anna. I’m sorry. I don’t mean to act like your father. It’s just ever since dad died, I’ve had this need to protect you. I realize that it’s not fair to you, and I’ll try my best to stop. I’m sorry.”


“ Let’s go home, Kevin.” She said.


“ Okay. I’ll tell the guys that we’re leaving and then we’ll go.” He said as he went inside.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


They were soon on their way to their house, which was a half-hour away.


They stopped at an intersection and Kevin said, “ What are you thinking about? It’s not about what I said is it?”


“ No, I was thinking about Alex.”


“ Oh. Why?”


“ Because I miss him, and I feel like I hurt him.”


“ You didn’t hurt him. He hurt himself.”


The light turned green and Kevin accelerated through it. He was halfway through it when Anna saw a tractor trailer come speeding toward her side of the car. Before she knew what happened, the car was rolling down an embankment. She didn’t even realize she had screamed, “ Kevin!!!”


She could hear sirens in the distance before she heard Kevin asking her if she was okay.


She looked up at him and said, “ I love you Kevin.”


She felt herself sliding into a black abyss while the firefighters worked on getting her out of the car.