- Text Size +
Chapter 9




“ Anna, it’s me, Alex.” AJ said getting worried.


“ I’m sorry. I don’t know you.” She said looking confused.


“ God, Ann. Please remember me. I’m your best friend.” AJ said in desperation.


“ I can’t remember anything. I’m so sorry. I must have been important to you.” She said.


If you only knew, Ann Thought AJ as he looked around for any clues as to what her injuries were.


“ I’ll be back.” He said before running out of the room.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


AJ found his way down the hall to Kevin’s room. He literally ran all the way down the hallway. He ran into a nurse and tripped a couple of times before he made it inside the room. He burst through the door to find the guys watching TV and eating breakfast.


Brian noticed him first and said, “ Hey. Why did you come busting through the door like you just saw a ghost?”


“ It’s worse than that. Anna… Anna…” he said as he tried to catch his breath.


Kevin said, “ AJ. Catch your breath and then tell us what happened, okay?”


AJ caught his breath and continued, “ Anna woke up.”


“ Well, that’s great.” Said Kevin.


“ Wait. That’s not all. I asked her how she was feeling and she looked at me funny.”


“ She always looks at you funny.” Said Howie.


“ You don’t understand. Let me finish. She doesn’t remember me. She asked me who I was.” AJ said.


“ He was right.” Said Howie.


“ I had a feeling this would happen.” Said Brian.


“ He is a doctor after all. Why wouldn’t he be right?” said Nick.


“ What the hell is going on here? What do you guys know that I don’t?” screamed AJ.


“ AJ, calm down.” Said Kevin.


“ Why should I calm down? I just found out that the person I’m falling in love with doesn’t remember me.” Said AJ as he sank to the floor.


Howie smiled and said, “ I knew it. I told you didn’t I, Aje? I told you it would happen.”
“ Yeah, Yeah. Thanks for the insight. It helps a lot. It really does.” AJ grumbled in his hands.


“ Okay, you and I will talk about that later. Now, I’ll tell you why she doesn’t remember you and why we’re lucky that that’s all she can’t do.” Said Kevin.


“ I’m listening.” Said AJ.


“ She’s lucky that she’s still alive. She could have died AJ. Did you know that?” asked Howie.


“ Yeah. You told me last night on my cell phone. Oh, by the way, thanks for freaking me out last night. Let’s just say that I don’t drive well when I’m scared shitless.” Said AJ.


“ I had to tell you.” Howie said defending himself.


“ Not like that you didn’t. You could have waited until I was at the hospital before you break the news that my best friend and my brother could have died.” Said AJ getting up to face Howie.


“ You consider me your brother?” asked Kevin.


AJ turned to look at Kevin and said, “ Yeah. I always have.”


“ Come here.” Kevin said.


AJ walked over to the side of the bed and gave him a hug.


“ I was so worried last night. I was afraid that I’d never see you guys again.” He said into Kevin’s shoulder.


“ AJ, it will all be okay. I’m fine, and Anna will be fine.” Kevin said.


AJ pulled away a little embarrassed that he just hugged Kevin so long. AJ said to the guys, “ This never leaves this room. You hear me? No one will know what just went on with Kev and I, got it? Nick. Howie. Brian.”


“ Got it.” They said at once.


“ Now, back to Anna.” Said Kevin.


“ We’re going to go see Anna, okay? We’ll leave you guys alone for a little while.” Said Howie pushing Brian and Nick out the door.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“ Sit down make yourself comfortable. We need to talk.” Said Kevin.


AJ pulled a chair up next to the bed and sat in it backwards. AJ said, “ Uh, oh.”


“ Hey. She doesn’t have a dad, so you get me. Got any problems?” said Kevin getting serious.


“ No. I would like to know what’s wrong with her. I saw a cast on her arm.”


“ Yeah, she broke her arm. She has a few broken ribs. The doctor said that she had suffered some brain damage. He wasn’t sure if she would ever wake up, so this is good. She’s awake. The doctor didn’t know if she would have amnesia. Now, I don’t know if she just doesn’t remember you because of your fight yesterday. She might have blocked you out of her mind subconsciously. The doctor also said that they would do tests on her whenever she woke up to see if the amnesia would be permanent or not. Let’s just hope it’s not. I don’t want to break it to her again that her parents are dead, because she’s bound to ask for her mother or father. I don’t want to be the one to tell her that I’m all she has left in the way of immediate family.”


“ Yeah. That would suck.”


“ Watch your language. You’re in public.”


“ Sorry.”


“ It’s okay. I feel the same way you do. So now all we can do is hope, and help her get her memory back.”


“ How do we do that?”


“ We pretend that everything is normal. We don’t want to baby her, but we don’t want to lie to her. If she asks if you guys had a fight yesterday, you tell her every detail. I’m guessing that she will be having nightmares about the accident. I know I had nightmares last night. I don’t want to imagine how they will affect her. She will probably need someone there for her to calm her down. I can’t do everything. I have a broken leg, so I’ll need some help around the house. Are you up to it?”


“ Yes. I’ll try my best, but I would love that. I plan on putting my feelings on hold for a while. At least a couple of months. I don’t want to freak her out, yet. Plus, I don’t really want to tell her yet. If she’s the same as before, I don’t know how she’s gonna act. She’s as unpredictable as I am.”


“ Tell me about it. I’ve had to put up with the two of you.” Said Kevin.


“ So, I guess I’ll go see her.”


“ Ask the doctor if I could come too. I really want to see her.”


“ No problem. I’ll be right back.” Said AJ.


He came back with a wheelchair and he helped Kevin sit in it. They were soon on their way down the hall to visit Anna whether she remembered them or not.