- Text Size +
CHAPTER 1

‘Happiness is a journey, not a destination.’


Katie Smith walked down a crowded street going to yet another audition. She just had to find an opportunity somewhere. People always told her how much talent she had. Well, if she had so much talent, then why couldn’t she find a job?


She walked into yet another dance studio to audition for some artist’s upcoming tour. She signed in and sat down to wait for her turn. She looked at everyone else that was there. The women were all very beautiful and Katie felt like she had no chance against them.


‘ Katie Smith?’ asked a woman coming out of the audition rooms.


‘That’s me.’ Said Katie.


She smiled warmly and said, ‘ Okay, then. Follow me.’


Katie followed the woman into the room. Katie thought the room would be empty, but it wasn’t. There were five guys in the room sitting in chairs talking about her portfolio.


The lady said, ‘ Okay, Katie, These are the Backstreet Boys. Nick, Kevin, Brian, Howie, and A.J’


‘ Nice to meet you.’ Said Katie.


There were pictures of her spread out on the table and she grew very self-conscious.


Kevin noticed her looking at the pictures and said, ‘ We were just looking through your portfolio. It is nice. Would you mind if we asked you a couple of questions?’


‘ No, that would be fine, I guess.’ Said Katie as she took the seat that was offered to her.


‘ Okay, How many years have you been dancing?’ asked Kevin.


‘ Oh, wow. Um… ever since I can remember. I guess it has been about 18 years. To tell you the truth, I can’t remember when I started. I can remember dancing when I was three.’


‘ Wow. So you are a pro at this.’ Said Nick in amazement.


‘ Yeah, I guess you could say that. I don’t think about it that way. I just do what I love to do. I love to dance.’


‘ How would you feel about being on tour for eight months on end?’ asked Howie.


‘ Um, I don’t think I would have a problem with that. I wouldn’t experience homesickness or anything like that.’


‘ Why, may I ask?’ asked Brian.


‘ It gets kind of complicated. My family and I don’t quite get along. They disowned me when I decided to pursue dancing as a career.’


‘ Oh, I’m sorry.’ Said Brian.


‘ No problem. I’m rather fine with it, actually.’


‘ Okay, it’s time for the next part of the audition. Would you like to dance for us?’ asked Kevin.


‘ Sure, just let me get ready.’ She said as she got up and got her bag.


‘ What do you want me to dance to?’ she asked them.


‘ It doesn’t matter. Whatever you feel most comfortable with. It’s fine by us.’ Said Kevin.


She got out a contemporary mix and took off her clothes to reveal her dancing outfit. It also showed off her figure nicely. She put the tape in and danced her heart out. She forgot the guys were even there. She danced her heart out knowing that this was her golden opportunity. She got done and slowly looked at the guys to see their reactions.


‘ Wow, that was.. you were… I mean…’ said Nick.


Brain cut him off and said, ‘ What he really meant to say was you were absolutely fantastic. You were beautiful.’


‘ I totally agree with them. By the way, do you work out?’ said A.J.


‘ Don’t mind him. You were excellent. Give us a moment to decide on an answer, please.’ Said Kevin smiling.


By now, Katie was blushing. She had never been complimented like that before. She stepped over to the side of the room and started to dance freely. There was always a time to impress them even more.


‘ Kev, how can you even have to think about it. She’s perfect, man. Not to mention that she’s one fine lady.’ Said A.J. his eyes never leaving her.


‘ I like her too. She’s definitely a keeper.’ Said Howie.


‘ What about her family situation, though. She would need some kind of support on tour’ Said Brian.


‘ Let her worry about that. All we’re looking at is her dancing. What about you Nick?’ said Kevin.


‘ I love her. I say we at least have her paired up with each of us to see if she dances well with a partner. We could do that tomorrow.’ Said Nick.


‘ Wow, Nicky actually has a good idea. Let’s do that.’ Said Kevin.


‘ Miss Smith, we have reached a decision’ Said Brian.


Katie walked over to them and asked, ‘ What did you decide?’


‘ I have one thing to tell you. A.J. why don’t you tell her.’ Said Kevin.


‘Not me. Howie, you do it.’ Said A.J.


‘ I’m not gonna do it. Nick, you do it.’ Said Howie.


‘ I don’t think so man. Brian you do it’ Said Nick.


Brian said, ‘ Fine, I’ll do it. Katie we have decided…’