- Text Size +
CHAPTER 11


If I could reach up and hold a star for every time you’ve made me smile, the entire night sky would be in the palm of my hand.




They didn’t have to practice until the next day, so AJ took Katie to his house and got her set up with a room. She unpacked that afternoon, because she knew that she was moving to Florida. AJ took Katie out for pizza after they were all done. They went back to his house for the rest of the night. They were in the living room when AJ suggested that they go in the hot tub for a while. AJ and Katie went upstairs to get ready. AJ was done before she was, so he jumped into the hot tub and waited for her. When she came down, she took his breath away. She had on a string bikini. It was baby blue, almost the color of her eyes. Her hair was spread out across her back and shoulders. To him, she looked liked a goddess standing in front of him.


“ Well, are you just gonna stand there, or are you gonna say something?” she asked with a smile on her face.


“ Ummm. You look awesome. If I didn’t already try it, I’d say screw the hot tub.” He said.


“ Well, thanks. I’m glad you think so, but the answer is still no.” she said getting in the hot tub.


“ I have to keep trying. I’d be crazy to let you get away without a fight.” He said as he made room for her next to him.


“ Thanks, I think.” She said sitting next to him.


“ No problem.” He said.


They fell into a comfortable silence until he asked, “ Were you serious about what you said on the plane?”


“ What did I say? About the music?” she asked.


“ No, about dating Josh. Are you serious?” he asked her.


“ Oh, that. I’d like to see where it would lead me. It wouldn’t hurt. He seems like a nice guy.” She said shrugging.


“ So, you’re afraid to be with me, but you’re going to go out with him ASSUMING that he’s ‘nice.’”


“ It’s not like you think it is.”


“ It’s not?”


“ No. I mean. I don’t know.”


“ So, you lied to me.”


“ Lied to you when?”


“ When you told me that you didn’t want to jump into a relationship yet.”


“ I did not lie. I told you exactly why I don’t want to date you.”


“ Yes, but it doesn’t make sense. You want to go out with someone you don’t know, but you won’t even think about going out with someone you are going to be living with? It doesn’t make sense.” He said trying to figure it out.


“ It’s not that at all, AJ. You’re missing the point.”


“ So, what’s the point?”


“ I don’t want to fight with you.”


“ I don’t want to fight either. I’m just confused. I want to know the truth.”


“ Okay. You want the truth?” she said getting frustrated.


“ The truth would be nice once in a while.”


“ I don’t want to go out with you for several reasons.”


“ Please, enlighten me.”


“ I would if I could get a chance to.”


“ Sorry. Continue.” He said.


“ Okay. I’ve heard things from people about dating pop stars. I’ve heard it’s very hard. It’s a lot of stress. I just don’t think that I can handle traveling the world and having a new relationship with you. It’s nothing against you, believe me. If I wasn’t working for you, I would be all over you in a second.”


“ Nice to know.” He said.


“ But, seriously, I have nothing against you, except the fact that Josh seems good for me right now. I don’t want to jump into anything too fast.”


“ Okay, let me get this straight. Basically you won’t even think about dating me because I’m a pop star, and I’ve had a reputation for being, let’s say, unfaithful. I get it. Makes perfect sense.” He said sarcastically.


“It’s not like that.”


“ You’re right. It’s not like that at all. You wanna know why? Because everything you have just said, you based on rumors. RUMORS, Katie. I know I may have screwed up once or twice, but guess what? I’m not perfect. I make mistakes too. It’s just that my mistakes make the evening news, and yours don’t.”


“ I’m sorry. I didn’t know.” She said.


“ You’re right. You don’t know. You don’t know anything about my life. About how lonely I am, or how hard it is to actually keep a girlfriend for more than a month. Do you know how it feels to finally fall in love with someone and turn around to find out that all the crap they said was a lie? Do you?”


“ Yes.” She said.