- Text Size +
CHAPTER 12




“ What?” he asked.


“ I said I know how you feel. I’ve been there too. I’ve had people judge me by my past, by my father’s reputation. By what has happened to my family. I’ve had my heart broken countless times. Once they find out about my past they leave town. Someone once left in the middle of the night, and he never came back. It was right after we made love. I told him about my father, everything I told you. He said that he would show me how love was suppose to feel like. I believed him, and we slept together. I woke up the next morning and he was gone. We had been going out for a year, and he left me with no not. No nothing. I haven’t heard from him since.”


“ I’m sorry. I didn’t know.”


“ No shit. No one knew. That’s the way I’d like to keep it. I’ve lost so m any people because of my past. I don’t want to lose anymore.” She said.


“ I have a question. You don’t have to answer it or anything, but I just have a theory.”


“ Okay, shoot.”


“ Are you afraid that if you get too close to me, that you’ll lose me. Like your brother?” he asked looking her in the eye.


She was silent for a while. He said, “ Katie?”


“ Don’t talk about my brother.”


“ But…”


“ Just don’t, okay?” she yelled. She got out of the tub and ran inside the house.


AJ sat there for a couple minutes and decided to follow her. He went into her room to find her crying on the bed. He asked, “ Katie?”


“ Go away.”


“ Can I come in?”


“ Don’t you take no for an answer?”


“ Does this have anything to do with me being right?”


“ I don’t want to talk about it, okay? Why can’t you get it through your head?”


“ Because I think it’s something you’re running from, and you need to talk about.”


“ What do you know?”


“ I know what it feels like to love and lose.”


“ So.”


“ I know what it feels like to be lonely.”


“ So.”


“ I know what it feels like to be used.”


“ So.”


“ I know what it feels like to lose a father.”


“ So.”


“ I also know what it feels like to lose someone you love.” He said as he looked at the back of her head.


She was silent for a long time. AJ went over and sat next to her on the bed. He said, “ I’m sorry that you had to live through some of the most painful things in the world. I can’t help that, and neither can you. My father always used to say, ‘ you can’t change the past, but you can change the future.’ I’ve lived by those words. Someday you are going to realize that you have someone very special caring for you, and you won’t want to lose them. One day I’m going to tell you ‘I love you’ and then let you decide. You will only have one chance. I don’t want my heart broken again, but I’ll do what I have to do. But, I’m here to help you. I know what it’s like to lose someone that you love. I know how hard it is to get over them, but Katie, you have to do it. You can’t dwell on the ‘What if’s,’ or the ‘why’s,’ because if you do, you’ll never find the answers. You’ll only blame yourself more and more until you’re convinced that you caused it. It will make you sick, and I don’t want to see that. I’m afraid for you. I really am. I only want the best for you, but I can only help as much as you let me. There is only so much I can help you with. The rest, you have to do by yourself. So, having a relationship with a guy you hardly know will help you get over him, then go for it. I’m only gonna say one thing. Be careful, please. I don’t want to lose you. Now, good night. We have to get up early. Sweet dreams.” He said.


He kissed her forehead and left her room turning the light off on the way out. She went to bed thinking about what was said, and he went to bed wondering whether or not he did the right thing.