- Text Size +
Chapter 13




AJ and Katie were out of the house by 5:30 the next morning. They had an hour drive to Orlando, so they headed out early. Most of the ride was in silence, with small talk here and there.


AJ finally asked what ad been plaguing his mind all morning. He asked, “ Katie, do you trust me?”


She looked at him and asked, “ What?”


“ You heard what I said. Do you trust me?” he asked steeling a glance at her.


“ Umm. I guess, why?”


“ Tell me the truth. Can you honestly say that you trust me?”


“ Yes, AJ. I can honestly say that I trust you. Why?”


“ Good. I’m glad you feel that way.”


“ Me too. Now, why did you ask?”


“ Man, the traffic is bad today isn’t it?” he asked as he looked at the backed up cars all around him.


“ AJ, stop ignoring my question. You had a reason why you asked the question, and I want to know why. Why won’t you tell me?”


“ I was just curious, that’s all.”


“ Bullshit.”


“ Just drop it, okay?” he said not taking his eyes off the road.


She was silent and said, “ I’m scared.”


“ Scared?” he asked looking at her.


She merely nodded like a child.


“ Scared of what?”


“ It’s a lot of things, I guess.”


“ It’s not about dancing is it?”


“ I don’t know. Maybe it is. It’s just… my life is changing so fast. I don’t know if I’ll be able to handle it.”


“ Don’t worry. We wouldn’t have picked you if you didn’t have what it takes.”


“ You didn’t pick me because I’m beautiful?”


“ Well, it couldn’t be only based on that. We had to have a real reason to give to management.”


“ Well, why did you pick me?”


“ Why did I pick you, or why did the group as a whole pick you?” he asked.


“ Why did you pick me, Mr. McLean?”


“ It was for a number of reasons. When you walked through the door, you seemed so confident. After the interview, I was intrigued to say the least. Then, when you danced, I could have sworn there was an angel in the room. There isn’t even words to describe what I thought of you when I first saw you. All I knew is that I had to convince the guys to hire you., so I could dance with you. And, maybe go out on a date or two somewhere in there.”


“ AJ.” She said as she hit his shoulder.


“ Hey, a man can dream, can’t he?”


“ Not about me, he can’t.” she said a matter of factly.


“ Why not? You’re just as fair game as every other single woman out there. You just happen to work for me and dance like an angel.”


“ I’m not like every other woman out there. I have morals.” She said puffing her chest out with pride.


AJ laughed and said, “ If you call making out on a studio floor having morals, I can’t wait to see what happens when you don’t have any.”


“ I guess you’ll never know.”


“ Why not?” he whined.


“ Because you’re not cute enough.”


“ But you said I was great, and hot, and sexy. Doesn’t that count?” he said giving her his puppy dog face.


“ So. I never said you were cute. That’s all that matters.”


“Oh, so you’re saying that Josh is cuter than me, AJ McLean?”


“ Sorry to say, yes.” She said.


“ Ooh. You’re going to get it.”


“ You’re driving. You can’t take your hand off the wheel.”


“ Oh, yeah?” he said as he took both of his hands off the wheel.


She shrieked and started steering.


“ Just kidding.” He said as he took control of the wheel again.


“ Not funny.” She said laughing her head off.


“ But seriously. I think you’ll be great at your job.” He said looking at her.


“ How are you so sure?”


“ I have a feeling.”


“ Oh, no. AJ has a feeling. Watch out.”


“ I’ve seen many dancers succeed with us, and you, my dear, are going to be one of them.” He said ignoring her comment.


“ Are you just saying that so I’ll kiss you again?” she asked.


“ No, I have other ways of making that happen. Trust me. By the time I’m done with you, you’ll be wanting more than a kiss from me.” He said in a sexy voice.


“ Don’t do that. You’re turning me on.”


“ That was intended.”


“ I swear, AJ. All you think about is woman and sex.”


“ No, all I think about is you and sex.” He said giving her a sly grin.


“ Okay, if this is payback, I admit that I deserve it.”


“ I’m not anywhere near your payback.”


“ What is it then?”


“ You’ll just have to wait and see.”


“ Can you give me a hint?”


“ It will involve my house and a hot tub.”


“ Anything else? Are bathing suits required?”


He looked at her with a shocked expression and said, “ Of course bathing suits are required. It just makes it more fun to take things off.”


“ Was it your intent to turn me on like this?”


“ No, but you asked for it, so I gave it to you.”


“ Can I have some more?”


“Maybe later. We’re here.”


“ Joy.”


“ Katie, it’s time to dazzle the world.” AJ said as he opened her door for her.


“ I’d hardly say that Fatima and you guys are hardly the world.” She laughed.


He shrugged and said, “ So I exaggerated.”


“ Let’s just get this over with before I change my mind and catch the next plane to New York.” She said as they neared the door.


He looked at her shocked and said, “ You’d leave me?”


“ In an instant.” She said.


“ Ooh. You better run, cause when I catch you, there’ll be nothing left.” He said giving her a threatening look.


She shrieked and ran inside the building and into the studio.