- Text Size +
Chapter 18




“ Okay guys. You have a half hour break before we’ll go over the whole show. Have fun.” Fatima turned away from the guys to talk to one of the dancers.


“ What are we going to do for 30 minutes?” asked Nick as he plopped down on the floor.


“ I don’t know about you, but I’m going outside for a smoke.” AJ walked out of the door with Katie behind him.


AJ sat down on a bench and made room for Katie to sit down.


“ I want to say thank you again for helping me move. You didn’t have to do that.”


“ Yeah, but I wanted to. I had a lot of fun. I love hanging out with you.” AJ moved closer to her and kissed her softly.


Katie broke away. “ I….I need to make a phone call.”


“ Okay. I don’t mind.” He shrugged his shoulders and went back to finding his cigarettes.


Katie took her phone out and dialed a number that she thought she’d never be calling.


“ Umm. Hi, is Josh there?”


AJ’s eyes widened as he stared at her.


“ This is he. Who’s calling?”


“ Umm. It’s Katie.”


“ Oh, yeah. Hi, Kate. I was wondering when you’d call.”


“ You were waiting for me to call?”


“ Yeah, but that’s okay. You must have been busy. How’s Florida, by the way. Did you get the job?”


“ That’s kind of why I called.”


Good. AJ Thought. She’s going to tell him to hit the road.


“ I take it that it’s bad news.” Josh sighed.


“ Depends on how you take it. I got the job.”


“ Well that’s great.”


“ Maybe.”


“ What do you mean maybe?”


“ In order to keep the job, I had to move to Orlando.”


“ That’s great!!! I live 20 minutes away from Orlando.”


“ Holy shit. How come you didn’t tell me?”


“ Because you never asked. Do you want to go out sometime? Maybe coffee or something?”


“ Yeah. I’d love that. I’m leaving for the tour in two weeks, so anytime before then.”


“ Okay. How about Tomorrow at 8 o’clock?”


“ Tomorrow at 8. Sounds good to me.”


“ Okay, great. I have to go now, so see you later.”


“ Yeah, bye.” Katie hung up the phone and turned around to look at AJ. “ AJ, you’d never guess. I’m going out tomorrow with Josh. He lives in Tampa.”


“ Joy.”


“ Aren’t you happy for me?”


“ No.”


“ Why not? Aren’t you happy that I’m finally moving on?”


“ No. You should be moving on with me. Not him.”


“ Why you?”


“ Uhh. You slept with me remember?”


“ Yeah, so?”


“ I can’t believe you’re doing this. Why did you sleep with me then, huh? An easy fuck, aren’t I?”


“ It’s not like that Aje.”


“ Did I fulfill your pleasures?”


“ AJ. You’re not making any sense. I slept with you because I wanted to.”


“ Oh, so it was a one night stand. And you go accusing me of having countless one night stands.”


“ AJ, knock it off, and let me explain. I slept with you because I care about you.”


“ Then, why did you set up for a date with Josh?”


“ I already told you. I don’t want to get into a relationship with you just yet.”


“ But I figured that since you slept with me, you were ready to get into a relationship. I gave you my heart and you turn around and stab me in the back. A nice friend you are.”


“ AJ listen to me.”


AJ turned around and looked at her. “ I will not listen to another word of your crap. I thought you were ready to start a relationship with me. That’s why I slept with you. I felt something for you. I thought you did too. That’s what usually happens when you sleep with someone. I’m sad to say that I was wrong about you. You want to make everyone feel bad for you because your father raped you. But, you didn’t seem to take it too hard when we slept together. You’re just using people. You’re using me. I don’t want to talk to you again. You’re not worth my time.” He turned around and walked away.


“ But Alex.”


“ Save it, Katie. And don’t call me that again.” He walked into the studio and picked up his bag.


“ Where are you going AJ?”


“ Home. I’m not staying here with her.” He left leaving four backstreet boys to stare at Katie as she walked in the door.


“ What was that all about?” Kevin watched her as she picked up her stuff and started towards the door. She didn’t bother answering him.


“ Where do you think you’re going? You have to stay here and practice.” Kevin grabbed her arm and whirled her around so that she was facing him.


“ I’m not staying here. I’m leaving. I don’t give a fuck what you say. I’m walking out that door whether you like it or not.” She took her hand out of his grasp and walked out the door.


She got outside and stopped to look around. AJ’s car was gone. She didn’t figure that he’d stay around. She suddenly realized that she didn’t have anywhere to go. She sat on the steps and thought about the day’s events. She heard the door open and she felt someone sit down beside her.


“ Hi, Howie.”