- Text Size +
Chapter 19




“ What happened in there, Kate?”


“ Just a minor argument, that’s all.” She shrugged and continued looking down at the ground.


“ I don’t think that was a minor argument.” He said trying to look her in the eyes.


She shrugged again, “ He’ll get over it.”


“ What happened in NY?”


“ Nothing much.”


“ Something happened in NY, and that’s what you two were fighting about. Now look at me and tell me the truth.” He was getting very mad at her stubbornness.


“ Ok. Something did happen in NY. I realized that I can’t get involved with AJ.”


“ Why not? He’s everything you’ve been looking for, or so you told me.”


“ Because he doesn’t understand. No one understands.”


“ I’m trying to understand. But, you’re not helping anything. Now, look at me and tell me.”


She looked him straight in the eyes and said, “ Do you know anything about my past?”


He looked away and said, “ Yes.” It was barely above a whisper.


“ Who the hell told you?” she was getting angry now.


“ AJ told all of us at one of our meetings.” Howie continued to look away and speak softly.


“ How dare he. So, management knows, too?”


“ No, just us. He swore us to secrecy.”


“ That bastard. He’s going to pay for this. That was my past, Howie. My business. He had no fucking right to say anything.” She was fuming right about now.


“ He has reasons for everything. He told us because he cared about you, and he wanted to make sure you were happy.”


“ Yeah, right. That;s the biggest bunch of bull I’ve heard in a long time. Take me home. I need to have a few words with AJ.” She said getting up.


Howie pulled her back down and said, “ Whoa. Hold on. It was partly our fault too. We asked him and he told us. So, don’t go getting all mad at him. Let’s sit here and talk about why you and him fought. Then, you can tlak to AJ.”


“ That was personal, Howie. He had no right. I have the right to tell you what I want when I want to. Not him.”


“ I know. And we shouldn’t have asked.”


“ Damn straight.” There was silence while the two of them were lost in their own thoughts.


“ Howie, I..I slept with him.”


“ You what?” his eyes got big.


“ We were packing, and one thing led to another…” she trailed off.


“ So that’s what the fight was about.” He creased his brows. “ Why were you two fighting about that? I would have expected a make out session or something. But not fighting.”


“ I made a date with Josh, and Aje flipped out on me.”


“ Ah. You made a date with another guy. Let alone a guy you met at the bar while you were with him and Nick. That might cause some problems.” He nodded.


“ Wait a second. You know about Josh too?”


He knodded. “ Ooh, I’m going to kill him.”


“ You can do that later. Now, why don’t you want to go out with Aje?”


“ I’m afraid.”


“ If you’re afraid to date, then why are you going out with Josh?”


“ No, it’s not that. I’m not afraid to date. It’s just that if something happens with Josh, I’ll never have to see him again. But, if something happens with AJ, I have to work with him. Hell, I have to dance with him every day. The last thing I need is us fighting. I don’t want to get into a deep relationship right now either. My whole life Is changing, and I don’t’ want to have everything change on me too quickly. And I definalty think dating AJ will change it very quickly. AJ wants a deep meaniful relationship. With, Josh, I don’t know what he wants. I don’t know what we’re going to end up as. I wanted to see. Kind of explore all of my options.”


“ So, the only reason you are going out with Josh is basically because he isn’t a celebrity, he isn’t in it for the long run, and he doesn’t know you.”


She nodded.


“ Ok. It doesn’t really make much sense to me, but if that’s what you want, then go for it girl. Just don’t go hurting people who don’t deserved to be hurt, okay?”


“ Yeah. I really do like AJ. It’s just, I don’t’ know. I can’t really explain it.”


“ You don’t have to. I hear ya. But, just be careful. Especially because you don’t know Josh. You don’t know what he could turn out to be. He could just want you for in bed. Who knows. So, just eb careful.”


“ Yes dad. Whatever you say dad.” She smiled.


“ Hey I got you to smile. My job is accomplished. So, come on. Let’s go inside and dance.”


“ I don’t really feel like dancing, so, I’ll come in and watch you dance. How about that?”


He smiled, “ Sure.”


They got inside to find everyone laughing and goofing around. Katie went over to Kevin and said, “ Hey, Kev?”


“ Hmm.”


“ I want to say that I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have taken my anger out on you.”


“ It’s okay.” He pulled her in for a hug. “ Everything okay now?”


“ I guess. For the time being.” She said as she let go.


“ You going to dance?”


“ No, I think I’ll watch. I’m not really in the mood for dancing anymore.”


“ Okay, if you need anything. Let us know, ok?”


She smiled. “ I will Kev, thanks.”


Kevin smiled back before getting back to work. She leaned her head against the wal, ands he closed her eyes. Before she knew it, she was woken up by someone.


She opened her eyes to find Howie staring at her. “ You ready to go home?”


“ I guess so.”


Howie dropped her off at AJ’s house. She walked in hoping she didn’t run into Aj. She figured if she did, she’d blow up in his face. That would not be good to piss him off more than he was already. She went upstairs and into her room. She got into her Pj’s and went to bed.