- Text Size +
After dinner, the five men were still sitting at the table, four of them wanted to know the whole story, but none of them dared to ask, not wanting to ruin the evening. After a long silence, Nick cleared his throat, knowing he had to tell them eventually. “I-I found out through one of our medical check-ups..”
That caused all four men to look at him, puzzled. “But how? They usually are nothing more than a quick exam..” Kevin eventually asked.
Nick nodded and continued his story.
“He used the.. the..damn, what is it called?”
“Stethoscope?” Brian tried to help his best friend.
“Yeah that.. and everything was fine at first. But then he probably noticed something and asked me a couple of questions. Like if I often feel short on breath, am exhausted more than I should be, and so on.” A.J. didn’t quite understand. “And he got all that from listening through that thing?”
“Stethoscope.”
“Yeah Rok, whatever.” He replied as he rolled his eyes.
“No Jay, he made an appointment for me at the hospital and they did some tests, a scan, tissue sample, and blood screen.”
“But.. when..”
“I scheduled them between rehearsals, Rok. I didn’t want to tell you just yet. Didn’t want you to worry or be a burden.”

“Nick, please don’t shut us out anymore. You’re not a burden to us, we just want to help you in any possible way and be there for you.” Kevin said as he got up and stood behind him, his hands on the youg one’s shoulders, squeezing them gently. Nick turned his head to look at the older man and nodded, after which he turned his head again and fixed his gaze on his hands. “And when the results got back, they tried to call me a dozen times, but I was scared to answer it. I was afraid they’d tell me something I didn’t want to know.. So eventually they sent me a letter, completely against hospital policy.”

"What did it say exactly?" Howie asked him as he put his hand on Nick's arm, feeling he needed the comfort. Nick shrugged, his eyes on the table before him as he absently played with the tablecloth. "Nicky? What did it say bud?"
"Just some bullshit." The youth muttered, shaking his head.
"Nick," Kevin took his seat again, boxing Nick lightly on the knee to get his attention. "Hey...would you look at me for a second?" He waited until he had the younger man's eyes on him before continuing. "Thank you. Now listen to me because I don't want to say this again." Brian, Howie and AJ all glanced at one another in apprehension, wondering what was going to come next.
"Do you uh, do you want us to leave?" Brian asked hesitantly, slowing beginning to rise to his feet. "No." Kevin answered, not even bothering to look at his cousin. "Nick, you've got to cut this out, okay?"
"Cut what out?" The younger man huffed, rolling his eyes.
"That, you smart ass." AJ grinned, cuffing Nick lightly on the back of the head. Nick frowned and batted his hand away, cursing when AJ ruffled his hair. "AJ you asshole I swear I-"
"AJ stop it." The eldest interjected. "Baby listen to me, yes, you need to stop being a smart ass." Aj opened his mouth to say something and Kevin whipped around to galre at him. "Don't you dare Alex."
"Okay, okay!" The rebel sighed, putting his hands up in an 'I surrender' gesture. "Yeesh, touchy." Howie rolled his eyes at his younger friend, giving him a quick elbow in the ribs. "OW! What the fuck-" "Shut it AJ!" Brian snapped. "God, would you just keep your mouth shut and let Kevin talk?"
AJ's eyes went wide and he let out a low whistle, nodding slowly. "Alright. Continue on Mighty Kev."

Ignoring the comment, Kevin let out a small sigh, raking a hand through his hair.
"Nicky,look, what I'm trying to say is that you've got to let us help you. Like I said earlier tonight,we want to be there for you in every way,
shape and form but you've GOT to let us in."
"I-"
"No, no, no. Let me finish." The older man said as he waved his hand to silence Nick. "I know you're scared...terrified even. And I know you don't want to put us through any more shit but you make it worse by not letting us help you." Kevin paused for a moment, lowering his head and when he raised it again, Nick could see his eyes watering.
"Kev-"
"No! Dammit Nick, I was powerless when my Dad was fighting his battle with cancer. I couldn't do a damn thing to help him. So I'll be goddamned if you think I'm just going to sit on the sidelines with this one. I refuse," Kevin choked out, "I REFUSE to be put in that situation again. And I'm going to help you kick this thing in the ass, whether you like or not. Whether you ask for my help or not. But I'm telling you baby, asking you, please don't shove us away. You don't have to do this on your own."
Brian had burried his hands in his head by the time Kevin had finished, crying softly. Howie's eyes were on the ground, his foot pushing the carpet back and forth as he tried to think of anything but what was going on before him. And AJ simply stared, his mouth wide open as he watched a few tears slip from Kevin's eyes.

"I-I'm sorry." Nick breathed, saying the only thing he could think of. "Don't apologize baby," Kevin half-laughed, pulling Nick into a hug.
"Just stop being so damn stubborn."
"I'll give it a shot." Nick sighed, his voice muffled by Kevin's shirt as he hugged his older friend back. "But no promises."
"That's all I ask." Kevin slowly pulled away, wiping his eyes as he sighed deeply.
"Now, that letter?"
"It said I had a cancerous tumor above my left lung." The blonde mumbled after a moment of silence. "It said it was treatable but life threatening."
"Okay," AJ nodded. "Okay, so what? What do we do now?"
"First thing in the morning, we go to the doctors." Brian said, raising his head to look at his best friend. "Okay Frack?"
"Yeah."

"Alright." The eldest man agreed. "As for now, it's late. And it's been an...emotional day. Why don't we all just crash?"
"Did I say you all could sleep at my place tonight?" Nick asked, feigning shock and anger and jumping at the chance to lighten the mood again.
"No." The rebel shrugged, getting to his feet. "But tough shit. We're staying anyways. I call the master bedroom!"
"EXCUSE me?" Nick gaped, "That's MY room!"
"Not for long Nicky boy." AJ cackled, running to the base of the stairs. "Cuz I know you won't wanna sleep in the bed once I get naked in it."
Nick's eyes went wide and he sprang to his feet. "Oh HELL NO!" He yelled, chasing after AJ as the older man scrambled up the stairs. The three remaining men sat quietly at the dining room table, listening to Nick yell at his older friend. "AJ! Don't you DARE! Put your shirt back on! Don't take that off! But it's MINE!! Eeeew! You fucking....KEVIN!!" Nick was screaming from the bedroom.

"Well, I guess Nick's sleeping in one of the guest rooms tonight." Howie chuckled, rolling his eyes. "KEVIN! Make AJ get OUT!" Nick was whining as he stomped halfway down the stairs. "Brian! Howie! C'mon guys!! He's in my beeeeeed!!!" The blonde had his arms crossed, his lower lip sticking out in full pout as he gazed at his three friends. "Guuuuuuuys!"
"Alright, alright Fracky." Brian laughed, pushing himself to his feet as he followed Nick up the stairs.
It was quiet for a moment and then, "Oh that's DISGUSTING AJ!" Brian shouted. "Nick, dude, you're on your own!"
'WHAT?! Brian! Oh c'mon...he's doing that in MY bed!! KEVIN!!!"
"Some things will never change around here." Kevin sighed, "Let's go see what we can do."
"I'd never want them to." The Latino smiled, running up the stairs along with Kevin.
"Me neither D. Me neither."