- Text Size +
AJ stared at his younger friend, confusion painting his features vividly. He was starting to think Nick was a bit too out of it to have any more visitors. Holding back a sigh, he figured he might as well try one more time. "I'm sorry, you're gonna have to explain that one. Come again?"
"Bri," Nick mumbled, "He showed me th-the way back." Cocking his head to the side, he frowned, trying to understand what in the world Nick was refering to. "How in the world did Brian..." AJ trailed off, muttering mostly to himself, with a shake of his head, removing the hat he was wearing and placing it back on his head with a large intake in breath."L-light...he said he'd fi-fight...we'd..." Nick coughed a bit and the older man bit his lip, curbing his confusion. Now really wasn't the time.

"Okay. Okay, that's fine Nicky." He reached forward and gently patted the younger man's arm, forcing a smile onto his face. "Look, um, why don't I go call Rok and the others. Give me a sec and I'll be right back." AJ got to his feet slowly, moving away from the bed. "I'll be right back, don't go no where, yeah?"
"Funny, asshole." Nick allowed a weakened, half smile to slip onto his face, rolling his eyes. A grin worked it's way onto AJ's face at the familiar banter and he nodded. "I try to be." His hand fell to the doorknob, slowly jerking the door open. "Jay?" The rebel stopped at the address, inclining his head back in the direction of his younger band mate. "Hmm?"
"What happened at your house?"
AJ turned fully at the question, letting the door fall shut with a gentle click as he walked back over to the bed, holding back his sigh.
"I-I mean, I remember talking to you but nothing else."
"Not much more to remember after that Kaos." The older man shrugged, taking a seat again. "You went down, woke up, and then passed out again."

Nick limply shook his head, letting out a small breath and fogging up the oxygen mask in the process. "I bet Brian freaked."
"Uh, he probably would have, yeah," AJ nodded, leaning forward in his seat.
"If he had been there."
"He wasn't there?"
"Everyone took off while we were outside talking buddy. I didn't even know they had gone until I called for help and no one came."
"Th-they did?"
"Yeah man. I guess, they were pissed....I mean, they...ahh, shit." This wasn't how AJ had wanted to approach the matter, in fact, he would have preferred to skip the discussion completely. His eyes darted to his younger friend, trying desperately to gauge his reaction.
"They had every right to be mad at me." Nick said softly, closing his eyes has he sunk back into the pillow. "I was horrible."
"It doesn't even matter anymore Nick." AJ pressed, boxing Nick's knee lightly and trying to cheer him up. "All that matters is that you're okay. The fellas know you didn't mean what you said. We all know you're frus-"

"Were you scared?" The older man's eyes snapped to Nick's own blue, surprise written all over his face. "What?"
"I mean," Nick's gaze drifted downwards, his hands fidiling absently with the blankets covering his form. "When I...did you think...I know you said....but, I mean..." The youth let out a muted sigh as he let the sentence trail off into silence. "You, um, you should call Brian." He finally said, his eyes still on his bedding. AJ simply nodded, quietly getting to his feet, his hands buried deep in his pocket. Reaching the door, he pulled it open, stepping halfway out of the room before stopping. "For the record Nick," He sighed, looking down at his feet before glancing at his youngest friend, who had looked up at the address. "I've never been so scared in my entire life." He didn't give Nick a chance to respond, fully exiting the room at that point as he pulled the door shut behind him. Falling back against it, the rebel let out a large breath, closing his eyes for a moment as his emotions threatened to get the best of him. "Goddamnit," AJ breathed, "Goddamnit."

~~~~

Brian pulled into the parking lot no more than 20 minutes after AJ had called him, shutting of his car and scrambling to get out. He couldn't wait to see Nick. Couldn't wait to scoop him into a hug and tell him how glad he was that he was okay. Jumping out of his car, he headed into the hospital, already knowing the fastest way to Nick's room. He stopped short outside of it, peering in through the window on the door, his hand falling onto the doorknob as he froze. AJ sat relaxed in the chair next to Nick's bed, the younger man smiling at whatever AJ was saying. Brian could hear the two laughing softly, a pang in his heart suddenly hitting him as he backed away from the room.

"Why wasn't I the first to know?" He mumbled to himself, leaning back against the wall and sliding down into a sitting position. "I'm his best friend." A frown worked it's way on Brian's handsome features and he sighed, thinking things over slowly. AJ had specifically told him on the phone that none of the other fellas had known Nick had woken up, which meant AJ had been the first to recieve the news. Brian was surprised at how much it bothered him, now that he had a chance to think things over. He didn't understand why Nick wouldn't want to see him first. "He always wants to see me." Brian whispered, rubbing a hand over his face. He jerked in surprise as the hospital room door opened, scrambling to get to his feet.

"Rok?" AJ smiled, frowning gently. "Why are you on the floor? And how long have you been there? I was just about to call-"
"Why did Nick ask to see you first?" Brian demanded, cutting the younger man off. "Why were you the first one told he had woken up?" He had moved forward so he was almost completely in AJ's face, his voice rising an octave with every word he spoke.
"Whoa, whoa!" AJ put his hand up in a defeated mode, shaking his head quickly. "Calm it down Brian."
"I'm his best friend! Why didn't he want me to know?!"
"Because he thinks you're upset with him!" AJ snapped, giving Brian a small shove back.
"Jesus christ Brian, it doesn't even matter! What the fuck is wrong with you?!"
"I want to know-"
"It doesn't MATTER!" The younger man hissed. "Would you take your head out of your ass for one minute to listen to me?"
Brian closed his mouth, crossing his arms over his chest as he waited. "Look, from the second I got here, to the moment I left just now, all Nick has been talking about is YOU. "
"What?"
"Yeah. That's right. You." AJ shook his head. "Though, what the fuck he's talking about I have no clue. He keeps rambling on about how you lit the way for him to come back, I don't know." Brian's eyes went wide at the comment, a short gasp tumbling away from him. "I need to talk to him!" He pulled AJ into a quick hug before moving around him and entering the room. "Frick!" The blonde exclaimed softly, his eyes fluttering open as he watched Brian enter the room. A grin appeared on Brian's face and he walked quickly over to the bed, pulling Nick into a gentle hug.

"Hey Frack." He breathed, rubbing the younger man's back. "How you feelin?"
The older man perched himself on the edge of the bed, a smile etched onto his face.
"Okay." Nick shrugged. "I don't like this thing though." He pulled at the oxygen mask, only to have his hand slapped gently away by Brian. "Leave it be." Nick rolled his eyes at the comment, a smile playing in his face. "I'm so glad you came back to us Nicky. I was so worried I'd lost you forever." Nick grew somber at the comment, his eyes meeting Brian's.

"I heard you Bri." The youth murmured, taking a deep breath before explaining himself. "I-I was in this bad place, like this foggy tunnel and I started going to the warm light but it was the wrong way, so th-then I went the other way and it was so dark. I couldn't see anything and it hurt! Oh god, Bri, it hurt so bad, I didn't want to keep going. I didn't want to hurt anymore." Brian grabbed Nick's hand at the explanation, squeezing it softly in an effort to offer the younger man a sense of security. "Then what happened buddy?"
"I couldn't keep going. I tried Brian, I really did but it just hurt so much! I remember calling for you to help me because I was so close to giving up. I-I didn't want to Bri...I really didn't! You have to believe me! But it all hurt so bad...it hurt so bad..."
"Nicky..."
"But then I heard you Bri," Nick continued, "I heard you saying we'd fight together. And then it wasn't so bad anymore. And then I saw this softer light, and it felt so right that I went towards it as fast as I could and then, all of the sudden I was here."

Brian was staring at his best friend, his mouth wide, his eyes round and large. "My god," The Kentuckian whispered. "Y-you came so close..."
"Close to what?"
"Nicky, you know what the bright light was, don't you? The light you almost went into?"
Nick nodded slowly, "I think so."
"I came that close too, when I was younger and had the problems with my heart. I....Jesus...."
"Did you actually say what I heard you say?"
"I...yeah, I was in the chapel and I was lighting a candle for you." Brian drawled out, shaking his head. "It kept going out but then it finally lit and I was sayin' that stuff the whole time and prayin' that you'd make it through."
"Wow." The youngest breathed.
"You can say that again."
"Wow." Brian smiled at the retort, hitting Nick's legs softly. "Dork." He chuckled.
"Nicky, lemme ask you something."
"Sure."
"Why did you want AJ here first?"
Nick went silent at the question, letting out a small sigh. "Frack?"
"I," The youth started, "I was nervous. Scared I guess that you and the others would hate me."
"We could never hate you Nick." Brian said with exasperation. "You know that."
"I said some awful stuff Brian. Especially to Kevin and Howie." He paused, his voice soft and muffled by the mask. "I didn't mean it."
"They know you didn't mean it Nicky."
"I'm sorry for what I said Frick. I don't blame you guys....I mean, it's just getting hard you know? And I don't want to put you all through all this pain."
"You have to stop worrying about us Nick. I'd go through this 10 times and back again as long as you come out okay in the end."
"But what if I don't?" Brian's smile faltered at the question and he shook his head again, patting Nick on the knee. "You will."
"Bri-"
"You will Nick." The older man repeated ademently, his blue eyes hard.
"If it was my faith that got us over the last hurdle, I'll be damned if I let it fade away now. It's gonna get us through this Nicky."
"You sure about that Frick?"
"Positive." Brian nodded, pulling Nick into another hug. "We fight together Frack. Don't forget, we fight together." Nick said nothing in response, simply closing his eyes as he hugged his best friend back, hoping with everything he could that Brian was right.