- Text Size +
Two months. Two months. AJ was staring at the calender in his office as he sat, sprawled in his recliner, his pencil tapping absently on the journal resting haphazardly on his chest. He was suppose to be concentrating on his song but his thoughts kept drifting, like they usually did.
"How time flies." The rebel muttered, rolling his eyes as he looked around the room. Normally, the passing days didn't bother him but ever since Nick had returned from the hospital, AJ found himself wishing he could grab time and freeze it. Every passing day to him meant one less day he might have left with Nick. The idea of losing Nick scared him more than he let on, but he refused to coddle the younger man, forcing himself instead, to keep a playful and familiar banter with Nick whenever he was with him. But it was AJ that saw him at his weakest moments, and AJ that sat up listening to Nick cry and beg God to let him live. He was the one that saw it all but he was the one that for all intense and purposes, still treated Nick the same. And he knew, on many levels, Nick was thankful for it. Directing his gaze downwards, he frowned at the lyrics written on the page, crossing a line out after a moment of thinking and scribbiling in something new.

A knock on the door made him look up, a smile darting onto his face as he spotted Nick. "Hey Kaos."
"Can I come in?"
"But of course." AJ gestured for the younger man to enter, watching as he plopped gently down on the sofa, holding tightly onto a blanket wrapped around his body. "Cold?"
"Naw." Nick shrugged, pointing to the journal. "Writing?"
"No dumbass, I'm playing a video game."
"I miss playing video games." The blonde pouted, causing AJ to chuckle at the remark and earning a glare from Nick. "Screw you dude, I do!"
"So then go play a video game."
"It makes me sick to my stomach."
"Laaaaaaaame." The older man whistled, shaking his head. "Really Nicky, that sucks."
"No shit." Nick snapped, rolling his eyes. "Where's Brian? Shouldn't he be here by now?"
"Getting bored of me?" AJ asked playfully, raising an eyebrow at his younger friend.
"Yeah." The youth answered faltly.
"Asshole."
"Fucker."
"Baby."
"Idiot."
"Dumbass."
"Meanie."
AJ laughed out loud at the last comment, sitting up and placing his journal on the table as he looked at Nick. "That's your comeback dude? Meanie?! Oh Nicky....I thought I raised you better than that." Nick said nothing, simply sticking his tongue out at the rebel, causing AJ to laugh even harder. "Another sign of maturity. Nicky, Nicky, Nicky, when will you grow up?"
"Never." The retort was said in fun but both men fell silent, knowing the hidden implications behind it. "I'm sorry." Nick said quickly, dropping his eyes downwards. AJ forced a smile onto his face, "About what?" He shrugged, forcing a smile onto his face. "It's all gravy baby."
He got to his feet as his cell phone rang, walking over and grabbing it off the desk. "Bone's house. Hey Rok, what up?" Nick watched his older friend for a moment before he sat up a bit, his gaze now landing on the journal that AJ had left on the table, wide open. "Uh huh....nope...sure....umm," AJ glanced back at Nick for a second before turning around so his back was to the younger man. "Okay, like usual, good and bad." Nick rolled his eyes at the commentary, knowing full well they were talking about him but his attention was on the song AJ had written and he couldn't help the small gasp that tumbled forth as he read the words.

"Brian is coming up the street." AJ announced, turning back around, his smile falling away as he spotted Nick, hunched over his journal.
"What the fuck Carter?!" In two steps he was in front of Nick, snatching up the journal quickly.
Nick simply gaped at him, his eyes wide. "Would you sing it?"
"What?"
"That song you wrote." Nick sighed, "Would you sing it for me?"
The older man's frown deepened at the request and he shook his head slowly. "It's not finished."
"I don't care."
"Nick-"
"Please AJ? I just wanna hear it." All it took was one look at Nick's face for AJ's guard to break and he let out a large sigh, causing a grin to break out on Nick's face. "Fine." AJ muttered, opening up the book to the page with the lyrics Nick had been reading. "I don't really have the right tune for it yet and it's not really finished but whatever, okay?"
"Sure." Nick watched as AJ took a deep breath, humming softly to himself before launching into the song.

It may not seem
Through the roles we sometimes assume
But here we all are
Standing right beside you
It's all been good
Mixed in with the bad

But our friendships prevail
Steady, strong and true
Catching you when you fall
Never turned away
A saving grace
Seeing you through another day

Chorus:
When ever you feel lost
We'll be your guiding light
Keeping you strong
Together we'll win this fight
And help you carry on
Don't be afraid
Call on a friend
Someone to help you make it
To your destined end

Like angels from the heavens above
Wanting to take the pain away
Take our hand
And you will find
A way to make it past yesterday

Chorus-repeat

Bridge:
I know things seem
So very hard right now
But there's a light at the end of every tunnel
A hope with every prayer
Laughter with sorrow
The promise of a new tomorrow
Just remember,

Chorus-repeat x2


AJ allowed the last note to slip into silence, opening his eyes to find Nick staring open mouthed at him and Brian standing in the doorway, tears slipping down his cheeks. Biting back a sigh, he smiled softly, "Hey Bri."
"Did you write that?" Brian whispered, stepping into the room, the questions posed as a greeting. "Yeah, he did." Nick answered, still gaping at AJ. "You know," He breathed looking at Brian for a moment before turning his gaze back to the rebel. "Things like that make me think that there's still a reason to have faith in this world." Brian bit his lip to keep from sobbing at the comment and even AJ turned away, trying to keep his compose. "Nicky-"
"Thank you Jay." The youth smiled, giving AJ a small pat on the knee.
AJ opened his mouth to comment on the matter, the ringing of Brian's cell phone slicing through the air. "Littrell. Oh hey Kev......what? You did?! Oh my God...no, I'm at AJ's.... okay.... okay.... okay.....bye." Brian snapped the phone shut with such force that he almost cracked it, not even noticing as he whipped around to face AJ and Brian. "That was Kevin."
"So we heard." AJ laughed, "What-"
"He found a doctor that can help Nick!" The Kentuckian rushed out, his face shining with happiness.
"No way!" AJ exclaimed. "Shit! That's great!"
"He's on his way over with Howie but oh God Nicky, maybe this means things are finally going to turn around!" Brian pulled Nick into a huge hug, and all Nick could do was smile himself, his eyes on the window, where he could have sworn he saw, breaking through the dreary clouds, there was the smallest ray of sunshine.
_____________________________

Entire add written by A-rok Obsession, so compliments (especially for the song) go to her!!