- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A short message from my co-writer > ooookay. so this is gonna come in waves. lol. it's long cuz it's the end but here's update one:

hope you like it.

Kevin was dreaming; the images set before his emerald gaze surreal. His body sat stiff in the pew, hands clasped tightly in his lap. Lips pursed into a thin line, he stared, his face void of emotion, his mind seemingly blank. Brian sat immediately to his left, A.J. beside him and Howie directly on his right. All four men sat in silence, an occasional eruption of raw emotion falling away from Brian every so often, prompting A.J. to mindlessly reach over and rub his older friend’s back, the rebel’s expression hard. The older man saw everything in extravagant detail; the flowers decorating the church, the baskets overflowing with fan letters, each one proclaiming their own despair and regrets coupled with their love and support. His eyes drank in the people surrounding him; he heard the muffled chants outside, cries of devotion and loss mixing in with the priest’s gently spoken words.

No more than a few rows up, Kevin could see his shattered heart, strewn around a long mahogany casket, laying open for the world to see. From where he sat, the eldest could make out the faint profile of his youngest brother. Blue eyes forever closed, Nick’s face was peaceful and serene, almost two years of fighting erased, his lips closed in what looked to be a small smile. Short, blonde hair that had begun to grow back had been lovingly spiked and tousled, a glittering ‘BsB’ necklace strung around his neck, mini rainbows hitting the walls of the church as the sun shown through the painted windows. Off to the side, the minister continued to speak, his words swirling around the room, drawing weak smiles and murmured bouts of laughter as memories were lovingly recalled and mingled upon.

Kevin marveled at the likeliness of the dream, feeling as though he were watching in third person, and slightly in awe of how realistic it seemed to be. A feeling of raw emotion tugged faintly on his heart, a gnawing in the pit of his stomach but he brushed both feelings off, knowing the moment he awoke, everything would be fine again. The older man wasn’t a stranger to these dreams, having had them many times over the course of Nick’s battle with cancer. With Nick being treated, the dreams had begun to appear less frequently, but every so often, they snuck into his sub-conscious, the fear of what could have been haunting him. A small smile crossed his face as he heard the priest begin to speak about Nick being treated, knowing full well he would awaken soon enough. Closing his eyes within his dream, he allowed himself to reminisce,

~Flashback~

“Alright Nick, we’re done.” Dr. Peterson nodded, throwing away a used needle before washing his hands. Wiping them quickly, he turned around to face the younger man, a smile on his face. “Congratulations, 4 ½ months down and you seem to be almost in complete remission. Feel good?”
“Hell yeah..” Nick grinned, jumping off the examine table and reaching for his shirt. Pulling it on over his head, he ran a hand through his hair, an even bigger smile surfacing on his face at the thought of how he could run his fingers through his hair again. “It’s great to be completely healthy again.”
“Now, you’re not completely healthy,” Dr. Peterson warned, wagging his finger at the blonde, who laughed softly. “I’m serious Nick, you’re immune system is still very weak. You’ve got to make sure you take it easy in the first year or so of remission. You need to make sure you build your immunity back up.”
“I know, I know.” Nick muttered, rolling his eyes as he jerked his finger backwards. “They never let me hear the end of it.” Dr. Peterson directed his gaze towards the other side of the room, a small smile gracing his features at the four men who were watching the exchange with loose smiles on their faces. “Especially Kev.” Kevin simply shrugged loosely as he rose to his feat, a small laugh tumbling out of him as he moved forward, looping an arm around his youngest friend. “Won’t even let me go to the mall. I’m in like a damn bubble with Kev around all the time.”

“You didn’t even go to the mall before you got sick Frack.” Brian sighed, rolling his eyes at his best friend. “You hate shopping.”
“Not to mention we can’t really go more than like, 2 stores, without being mobbed.” A.J. muttered, pulling his hat back onto his head as Howie nodded in agreement.
“My point,” Nick stressed, rolling his own blue eyes again, “Is that I can’t do shit because no one will like, let me leave the house.”
“Language, Carter.” The eldest reprimanded, prodding Nick gently in the ribs. “We just want you to be okay, you know.”
“Still,” Came the grumble as Nick ducked out of the embrace to put his shoes on. “It’d be nice to leave my plastic bubble every so often. I feel like I’m under house arrest or something.”
“Awww, poor Nicky.” Howie laughed, patting his younger friend on the back. “You can always jump houses.”
“Oh yeah, that’s much more fun. I can be under house arrest at you place instead of A.J.’s! Whoopee.” The youngest muttered dryly, tugging his jacket on as he shot Howie a glare.

“Someone’s got an attitude,” The rebel cooed, prompting Nick to flip him off as he laughed. “Testy testy.”
“I’ll show you attitude…” Nick threatened, walking towards A.J. who ducked behind Brian, chuckling. The Kentuckian simply laughed, putting his hands on Nick’s shoulders and pushing him away slowly.“Don’t kill him Nick, he’s the one living with you. He may try to poison your food or something.”
“He won’t be able to if he’s in a body cast.” The younger man hissed through clenched teeth, reaching around Brian’s grip and smacking A.J. in the head. “Hey!” A.J. yelped, ducking down as Nick tried to hit him again. Reaching over, he smacked Nick in the side, prompting a low grunt from his youngest friend. “Back off dude.”

“Nick! A.J.! Will you two knock it off?” Came the order as Kevin moved over to the trio, gently pulling Nick back. “For heaven’s sake guys. We’re in a hospital…can’t you act your ages?”
“Well I figured I was acting mature.” Nick shrugged, giving A.J. a look before relenting and walking back over to where Dr. Peterson was chuckling.
“And how’s that?” The older man sighed, his expression exasperated.
“If I hurt him, we were already in the hospital. So Dr. P could stitch him right up.” Kevin simply gaped at him, Brian and Howie laughing in the background and A.J. muttering incomprehensively as he glared, a small smirk turning up the corners of his mouth. “I would have saved you the trip.” Shaking his head slowly, Kevin allowed a small smile to glide onto his features, ruffling Nick’s short hair. “You’re insane, baby. Insane.”
“You know you love me.”

“We do not.” The rebel mumbled, throwing his sunglasses on his face. “So what’s the deal, we all done here?”
“Pretty much.” Dr. Peterson nodded, glancing over his folder before closing it and setting it down. “Just remember to take it easy.”
“I knooooooow. I knooooooow.” The youngest moaned. “Jeeze.”
“One year Nick, that’s all I ask; that you take it easy and keep it low key for one year. It’s not the end of the world.”
“Hmmfh.” The youth snorted, “At least I can play video games again.”
“Well there you go then,” Dr. Peterson laughed, “You gotta take some for the team.” He flipped his folder back open, skimming the contents before looking back at his patient. “So I’ll see you next month?”
“Yup. You’ll see me next month, in top shape.” Nick puffed out his chest as he grinned, causing everyone in the room to chuckle.

“You wanna stay in top shape? Then you gotta stay healthy, so put on your gloves…and your scarf.” Kevin directed, handing the younger man the items as they all walked out of the room. “And the hat.”
“You see? You see what I have to deal with? We’re not even OUT of the hospital yet!” Nick sighed with exasperation as he gestured at the older man before shooting Dr. Peterson a glare and then Kevin. “You say I’m insane...you’re insane!”
“I’d rather be insane than short one brother, no matter how much of a pain in the ass he is,” Kevin paused for a moment and heaved a breath as he snatched the hat and scarf out of the blonde’s hands, throwing the scarf around the younger man’s neck and mashing the hat onto his head. “Put the gloves on.”

“Asshole.” The youngest muttered through the wool scarf, tugging his gloves on with a roll of his eyes. “They’re on. Can we go now? I’m hungry.”
“When are you not?” Brian teased, thumping Nick on the back as they started to walk down the hall.
“Hey, hey, I went like a year eating shit to nothing. I’m making up for it now.”
“Alright, alright.” Turning around, Kevin shook the doctor’s hand before following Nick down the hallway. “Thanks again.”
“Thank Dr. P! See ya next month!” Nick hollered over his shoulder, prompting a small smack on the back of the head from Howie. “Hey! What was that for?”
“Hospital? Keep your voice down Nick,” The Latino lectured, rubbing the younger man’s back as he tugged his cell phone out of his pocket, glancing over it. Kevin simply nodded, punching the button once they reached the elevators.

“What do you want to eat Nickers?” A.J. sighed as they all loaded into the elevator, watching as Kevin gestured to the ‘parking lot e’ button, before hitting it.
“I dunno.” Nick’s voice was soft and low and all four men noticed it, turning to look at their youngest friend who was leaning against the elevator walls, eyes shut.
“Frack?” Brian called softly, turning full around to look at his best friend, concern radiating from his sapphire gaze. Reaching out a hand, he placed it gently on Nick’s shoulder, rubbing it slowly. “You okay buddy?”
Nick nodded, blinking his eyes open as he half smiled, “I’m good.”
“You sure?” Kevin pressed, his eyes moving to the doors as they slid open. “We can go back to Dr. Peterson if you’re not feeling well.”
“I’m fine Kev.” The youth sighed, pushing off the wall and walking out of the elevator, his four friends following. “Really.”
“You tired?”
“A bit.” Nick answered with a small shrug as he glanced at Howie, who had asked the question. “Nothing to be worried about.”

A cough fell away from him and A.J. raised an eyebrow, shooting a look at his other friends.
“Nicky, I think we should have Dr. P. take another look at you.” The rebel suggested, coming to a halt as they reached the car.
“Guys, I’m fine, okay? He just checked me out…if there was something wrong, he would have caught it. One cough does not mean I’m going to keel over on the spot, okay?” He was met with silence and four concerned faces and fought not to roll his eyes.
“Alright Nick.” Kevin relented after glancing up and down at his friend before unlocking the car and ushering everyone in. The five men were quiet as the car pulled out of the garage, all of them wrapped up in their own thoughts.
“Guys,” Nick began, turning from his spot in the passenger side to shoot a small look at each of his friends before continuing, “I’m not going anywhere.”
“We know bud,” Brian smiled, “We just worry.” The corners of Nick’s mouth slightly turned up and he slowly nodded before shaking his head slowly.
“You guys don’t need to worry anymore. Everything is going to be just fine now.” The youth directed his eyes to the window, his voice growing soft again, “I promise.”

~end flashback~