- Text Size +
Chapter 9


Nick unbuckled the seatbelt and slid out of his truck, grabbing the stack of stuff before slamming the door and activating the alarm system. He made his way into the building and then over to the elevator, punching the button for the twentieth floor and waited. He couldn’t wait to unload all this crap, it was heavy and he was sick of looking at it. Nick couldn’t help but laugh a little, a fan was gonna get some of this and they’d be really happy and he couldn’t get rid of it fast enough. Part of him was a little excited and felt kind of bad about being so anxious to get rid of it, but it was ok, out of his hands and into someone who’d really appreciate it.

The elevator dinged and he made his way out, looking around. There was no one in sight, turning he made his way down the hall, looking into all the rooms to find all of them empty. Where the hell was everyone? Not everyone would be on lunch at the same time would they? He stopped by the mailroom, poking his head in to find that it too was empty. He started back down the hall again, looking behind him to see if anyone one was coming, turning his head again, he looked ahead to see a woman coming down the hall, her face buried in a folder, finally! The woman closed the folder and looked up, it was Diane, the woman in charge of contests and give-away’s. “Hey Diane!” Nick called. She looked up and smiled.

“Nick hi!”

“God, finding anyone here is impossible.”

“Yeah, I’m not sure where everyone went to,” Diane explained.

“No matter, I brought the stuff for you,” Nick held up the stack.

“Great! Thanks so much, would you just bring it into my office right here please?”

“Sure,” Nick followed her into the office and set the stuff down on her desk.

“Thanks so much for this Nick, the fans will really appreciate it.”

“Glad to do it, so I’ll see you later.”

“Ok, oh I almost forgot, I left something for you in the mail room, you can get it on your way out.”

“Oh, I was just in there too. Anyway thanks, see ya later Di.”

“Bye Nick!”

Nick made his way out and looked around, now if he could only remember what room was the mailroom. Frowning, he turned back the way he came and started looking in the different rooms again. He stopped at another door, looking in, found it! He made his way in and looked around, he didn’t see anything. Nick walked over to the copier and looked around, still nothing. She didn’t say where she put it; maybe she left it in her office and forgot. He turned to make his way out, when something caught his eye. Walking over to the small counter, he saw a white envelope with his name on it that must be it. Grabbing the envelope, he started out, noticing several large mailbags leaning against the wall. He never could just walk past anything, reaching out, he opened one of the bags a little, looking around to make sure no one was coming in before peeking inside.

Letters, thousands of letters, he opened the bag wider to let more light in and noticed they were all addressed to him in care of the fan club. A slow smile spread over his lips, it’d been a long time since he’d read any fan mail, it’d been too hard once the guys had gotten big, in the beginning they’d been able to write back, that was no longer an option. Maybe just this once… he looked out the door again before he reached into the bag, grabbed a letter and pulled it out, sliding it under the other envelope, closed the bag and made his way out the room.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He pulled into the driveway, cutting the engine and sliding out, making his way up to the door, ringing the doorbell. His Mom was home, he wondered why she didn’t answer the door, usually she was standing there waiting for him before he even made it up the steps. He rang the doorbell again and frowned, where was everyone? Nick turned when he heard pounding and then the locks being turned and then the door flew open, there stood Leslie, panting softly.

“Nick!”

“Hey Les!” He smiled.

Leslie made her way out, hugging him tightly, “I’m so glad you came.”

“Me too.”

“BJ’s out, it’s just Mom and me.”

“How come Mom didn’t come to the door?”

Leslie shrugged, “She’s in a mood.”

Nick sighed, “Oh, ok.”

“Come on in,” Leslie smiled, making her way back in.

Nick took a breath before making his way inside, shutting the door behind him.