- Text Size +
Swollen Issues II - Chapter Twelve

" Hello pugs, Iīm home!" Nick called as he opened the door to his house. Instantly there were lots of barking and two dark muffs came running towards him in high speed.

" Aww man," Nick laughed as he sat down his suitcase, bending down just to be licked in his face by their rough toungue. " Hello boys," Nick chuckled as they attacked their master, happy to see that he had come home to them again.

" Ah Mr Carter, Welcome home," A womans voice said in broken english. It was his cleaning lady, an hispanic woman in her mid fifties, and Nick smiled gently to her. " Hello Julia."

" Did you have a good trip with your family, Mr Carter?"

" Yes," Nick said, lying trough his teeth. It had been an disaster, but that was not something that he would reveal to anyone and certainly not his cleaning lady. It was not that he didnīt trust her, NO, Julia was the best of cleaning ladies that he ever had. It was just that past all the years he had several times been let down by people who said that they were his friends and then went over to the tabloids magazines revealing private stuff as well as lies.

" Very well Mr Carter, Iīll take it that you will be going out tonight. Since it is New Years Eve!" Julia continued, looking at Nick with searching eyes.

Nick shook his head. " As a matter of fact No," with that he stood up, lifting his dogs away from his legs. " Calm down boys, I will let you out in a sec."

The cleaning lady frowned as Nick said lightly, " I think I will stay at home tonight. Order some take outs, just relaxing." This had Julia even more concerned, " Mr Carter, your friend Mike has called you several times. I think that he wants you to go to some party tonight. Also your band brothers have called you several times. Especially that nice man Mr Littrell."

" Ok," Nick said as he walked over to his sofa, picking up the controller in his hand he turned on the stereo. Music were blasting all over the room. Then he lay down, covering his hand over his eyes.

This action had Julia concerned and she walked over to the young man, " Mr Carter, Youīre not feeling well?"

" I have an headache, Julia," he responded weakly, then he continued, " Can you please shut the blinds?"

The cleaning lady did as her boss said, but she couldnīt help wondering what was the matter with him. This was not like him to be so pale and also not wanting any company.

" Mr Carter, do you want me to cook you something?" she asked, not wanting to leave the sick man alone. She had a bad feeling and being the mother of five she could tell that there were something bothering the young pop star. Something more than just an plain headache.

" No thank you, Julia. You can go now," Nick mumbled as he rolled on his stomach, face down on the pillow. He was battering a bad headache and his stomach had been acting up again. This had probably to do with the all but calm flight. There had been lots of turbulence and Nick had been airsick all the time. Yet he could be grateful that he had nothing in his stomach to throw up, since he had taken care of that business earlier in the morning.

It was almost like he was suffering from morning sickness.

" Mr Carter, if you need something you can call me. I will be home since I am talking care of my small grandchildren."

Nick smiled. Julia was the best.

She had been there for him many more times then his own mom had been at his side. He knew that she was as concerned over him like he was her own child. But he wanted to keep it on an professional level and was very distinct in not letting her into his private life. Besides Julia was keeping an distance too, not wanting to name him Nick, even if he wanted her too. She had been at his household for almost 2 years old now and she was one of the few persons that he could trust.

" Thankīs, but I will be just fine."

" Good Mr Carter, then I let the dogs out. Ok?"

" Fine," Nick groaned as his stomach churned and he clutched it with his hands.

This had Julia frowning, " Maybe you should see an doctor Mr Carter. Youīve been often sick lately."

" Itīs nothing. Aaron gave me some flu bug. He was sick all the time too."

" Ah..young Mr Carter," Julia said with a smile, then she turned seriously, " I hope he isnīt working as hard as you are Mr Carter."

Nick chuckled, " Donīt worry, heīll be just fine."

" That is good to hear. Very well then Mr Carter, I am on my way then. Happy New Year."

" Yeah same to you too," Nick mumbled as another cramp took hold on his intestines.

As soon as Julia was out of his sight he flew up, running towards his bathroom, hand covering his mouth. Luckely he made it just in time as the dry heaves started. When he more than ten minutes later was finally done, he sank down on the tiled bathroom floor, too tired to do anything else than to just lay there, panting.

He most have dozed off as an loud shrill was heard in the room. A bit disoriented Nick thought that he had died and come to heaven and that it was the angels coming to pick him up. Then as he was starting to come more into focus he noticed that he was laying on the bathroom floor in his own house and that it was his phone that were making these loud noise.

Groaning he sat up, rubbing his sore stomach. As he steadied himself againts the wash basin, he stood up, on shaky legs and then walked with slow steps towards the phone in the living room. The stereo were at full blast and he winced at the sound. It was hurting his head.

" 'ello," he mumbled, trying to steady his voice with an cough.

" Nick?" It was AJ that was calling him and Nick just wanted to growl out loud.

" Yeah?"

" Nick, man, Are you ok?" AJ asked.

" Aha, just an headache." He murmured, laying down on the sofa, too weak to sit.

" You sound like shit!"

" Thanks for that one,Bone" Nick said a bit annoyed. He was not up to talking with anyone.

" You're sober?" AJ continued and those word had Nick even more upset. So Jay was calling him. Just to spy on him. Just peachy.

" Yeah"

" Ok, just checking." Nick could hear that AJ felt a bit bad for asking, but he also knew that AJ had suspected that he was the drinking binge. They had an long conversation after he had returned back to Japan and Nick had told AJ that there were no need for concern. He was a good boy.

" So what are you up to man? For tonight?"

" Nothing."

" Nothing? Nick itīs New Years Eve!" There were a mix of concern and suprise in his brothers voice.

" Yup, just chillin'"

" You have an chick there you stud muffin'?" AJ chuckled.

" No."

" What? Youīre there all alone, Kaos?"

" Yes."

" Really?" AJ sounded worried.

" Yup, you heard me. Itīs just me and my manhood." Nick stated a bit sourly, wanting the conversation to end. It hurt his head too much to talk.

There were a bit of silence before AJ said, " Youīre all right , man?"

" Yes," Nick was fed up with Aj spying on him and he said, " Iīll better get going. Iīm taking the pugs for a walk. Bye" Before Aj had an chance to ineterfer he hung up. Abruptly.

Sighing Nick thought what an asshole he was acting. He was telling everybody off and he had no idea why he did it. Was this the first sign of going insane? Or was there something else?

As the times passed on Nick felt more and more lonley. Never in his 21 year old life had he felt more alone. Celebrating New Years eve without his family and friends was something that sucked. Deeply. After flipping through his channels several times he decided that he needed something to cheer him up. He needed something to eat.

Walking out in the kitchen he opened the regrigerator. There were not much to say hurray for and he rulanctantly shut it again. Turning over to the cupboard he opened up, eyeing it for some candy. No such luck their either and Nick sighed. The mission not completed. As he was about to give up his quest he saw an unopen bottle of Jack Daniels starting back at him, and with some hesitation he took it down. After all it was New Years Eve. The holdiay when youīre suppose to celebrate, not sitting at home alone staring at some old black and white movies.

He poured up an glas and then took a swig. The alcohol burned down his throat and he coughed from the strong taste. Maybe this was not such an great idea, was his thought as he could feel his stomach ache from the strong liquid. Oh well, life was shitty enough as it was and a few drinks wouldnīt hurt. Grabbing the bottle he walked back to the sofa and sat down.

The evening passed along and soon Nick was punch drunk. He had devoured the whole bottle and it was coming close to twelve o clock and even if the phone had been ringing constantly he hadnīt answered it. Ever since the last phone call with AJ he was sure that they were just checking up on him and he already had one mother. He didnīt need another one. Thank you.

Not that his mother had called him. Not anyone in his family for that matter. He knew that Aaron was suppose to be on some promotion concert and he felt sorry for his little brother. Aaron was just a shell from what he used to be. He was always pale and looked totally unhealthy. Nick strongly suspected that he was running a too hard of a life. Probably directed by the firm as well as his mother. As an new year resolution he decided to try to spend more time with his brother. Aaron needed him and he needed Aaron.

Looking at his watch he saw that it was soon midnight. Another year 2002 was soon coming along. Pouring down the last drop of his Jack Daniels into an glass, Nick raised is hand in an cheer, " Happy New Year to you Nick Carter," he said as he drowned his last drops.

After that he passed out.