- Text Size +
Swollen Issues II - Chapter 23

" What did he say? Is he coming? " Howie asked as he ran into Brian, coming out from his room, swimtrunks in hand. He was the only one left in the house since the others had gone outside to join the girls out on the deck. It was an sunny and warm Califonia day and they were about to go swimming, playing water volleyball. Relaxing together like in the old days.

Brian stopped. He was in his own thoughts and upon hearing Howie's voice he stopped. “ Who knows?” The sight of Nick standing in the room with blue ink written all over his stomach had etched itself on his cornea. He couldnīt, didnīt want to believe that his longtime friend was abusing his body in such an sick way. He knew that Nick was and had been batteling weight problem for some time, but from that to do an liposuction was too far of a step.

Was he jumping into conclusions?

Or was he right with his assumptions that Nick was having some serious problems?

And If, what could he do about it?

During the years Brian had grown used to that whenever something bothered Nick he came to him for personal advice or just a shoulder to lean on. This past year something had changed and Nick wasnīt the person that he used to be. He was more and more keeping everything to himslef and his friends back in Florida. This hurt Brian deeply, in fact more than he ever wanted to admit since he felt that Nick was more and more slipping. Slipping away from the boys. Slipping away from his life.

They were not Frick and Frack anymore. Instead they were Nick and Brian, for better for worse.

" Nick is a tough nut to crack," Brian sighed.

" And that you found out right now?" Howie chuckled, " Come on B’rok. Forget Nick for now, he will come down when he has stopped sulking.” They had been with the blonde long enough to tell that Nick could be an very moody person. It had been worse when he was an teenager, but he still had his moments when he was everything but mature. Acting like a spoiled 15 year old brat, even when he was an young man growing up.

" Okeyyy,"

Brian had an bad feeling in his stomach when he heard an door slamming to the guestroom, sounding like someone was in an awful hurry. Momentarily he looked up to the stairs. Was Nick being sick? Did he need him? He hesitated before stepping on the first step of the stair, getting caught by Howie, " Brian, Nick will come. Trust me on this. Leave him alone for now."

" Yes, youīre probably right," Brian sighed deeply as he followed the latino through the door. If Nick wanted to act like that, pulling away from everyone, he would let him do that. Even if he felt hurt. After all Nick was was not an kid anymore. It was a hard time realizing that Nick didnīt need him anymore. If he wanted to make his own descisions, even if it meant acting like an dumbass, Brian would let him do that. It was Nick's business.

Meanwhile inside the guest bathroom Nick groaned in pain. He felt so sick and there were not a damned thing that he could do about it. Nausea was making him want to lean over and vomit, but even if he tried his stomach wouldnīt give him such a respit. Instead he was stuck on the toilet, having bout after bout of an upset stomach. It sucked since he couldnīt stay that far away from the facalities since it hit him like an flash in an thunderstorm. Unpredictable. There were so many unglamorous things accompanied with this disease. So many that he didnīt bare to think about it.

Cancer was no beauty!

His stomach was so sore and he felt like his innards was about to explode at any given second. If the side effects from the treatment were this bad he would give a second thought about continuing with it. Death would be less painful, he thought darkly as his stomach cramped up again. It didnīt help anything that he had upset Brian, his best friend that he could trust in all situations. The comment that he made about Leigh's cooking had just slipped out of him. No harm meant, more like a stupid joke. In fact it was way too embarrassing to say that he had the shits. Ok, it wasnīt the first time in life he suffered from this discomfort, but he felt like somethings were private and should be that way.

" Oh noooooo," Nick moaned as he leaned forward, head in his hands. It hurt so much that he wanted some relief. NOW! With shaky hands he pulled up his cellphone, dialing the numbers to Dr. Andersen. She had said that he was to call her if there were something that were bothering him. And this was an emergency!

After several signals an woman answered in the phone " St Maryīs hospital, Oncology."

" Ma..may I sp..speak to Dr. Andersen," His voice was unsteady and he swallowed hard as it took every ounce of strength to utter the words.

" Iīm afraid Dr. Andersen is out. May I take an message," the woman answered. He noticed that the voice belonged to Lorna, and he felt like bawling when the woman said, " Is it you, Nick Carter?" She was adressing him with concern. Lorna and Nick had gotten to know each other a bit better during the last week and Nick liked this woman. She had a heart of gold and she had comforted him when he broke down one of the times after radiation. Besides feeling sick the radiation made his feelings go hay wire too. He hated it. Hated being weak.

" Ye..Yes," Nick coughed to make his voice steady. He groaned as his stomach made itself known again.

" What is it, Nick?" Lorna asked as she could probably hear that something was bothering their young patient.

" I ne..need to speak to Dr. Andersen, can you leave her a message? To call me back?" He left his cellphone number.

" Yes I will do that," the nurse answered and Nick let out a sigh of relief. If he was lucky help would soon be on his way. Help in form of medication. This nasuea was so ugly that he didnīt want to let his worst enemy feel it. After he hung up his the cell phone he decided to join the others. With that he took on his shades and went outside to Brians back porch.

" So you decided to grace us with your presence," AJ said the moment he came out to the rest.

Shielding his eyes against the bright light he looked over at his band mates who was all sunbathing on the deck. They were talking and laughing and he felt a hint of sadness. Why couldnīt he join them like he used to do? Too many things had happened recently and he felt like they were drifting further away from him. Was it his fault or theirs?

So many questions. Yet to be answered.

Nick nodded, not knowing what to say. All of the people on the sundeck were looking at him, searching for answers. Nick swayed momentarily and instantly Kevin was up, " Whooaaa there Nick," He stretched out his hand to steady the young man, but Nick shrugged it off. Ignoring him Kevin offered, " Here take my seat," he montioned towards the sunchair. With a grateful grunt Nick sat down. He didnīt want his brothers to know that if he continue standing up he would end up with his face in the sundeck, stomach down.

" Thanks," Nick mumbled as he leaned his arm over his eyes, blocking out the light. His actions didnīt go un noticed and there were murmuring before Leighanne broke the silence, " Nick, are you feeling ok?"

Nick shook his head. There were no use in lying. " I think I caught the stomach flu, I feel like shit!" Kevin looked at him in concern and instantly his hand went over to feel Nicks forehead. The blonde shrugged away, " Donīt," he warned, after all he wasnīt a kid anylonger.

" More likely Ex-lax," Brian muttered silently. This caught AJīs ears, " What?"

" Nothing," Brian sighed. He didnīt bother to tell the guys about his suspecion since they would never believe him. Nick however heard him and there was a frown on the younger man's forehead. Instantly Brian regretted what he said. But there were something in Nicks behavoir that had him scared. Scared and concerned.

What the heck, Nick thought as he heard Brian uttering those words. In contempt. Did he think that he was making himself sick on purpose? This was not like Brian to think something like that! What had he done wrong? His thoughts were interrupted by another sharp cramp in his midsection. God, when will this ever stop? " Ah shit!" That was the proper word for the situation. Bending over he groaned, getting everybody's attention. He stood up abruptly, " Excuse me," before dashing towards the house and the guestbathroom.

There were laughter coming from the rest of the gang, when they realized Nick's situation. All but Brian who shook his head slowly, as he saw his friend's desperate escape.

" Looks like Nicky's ass is on fire," AJ grinned, getting a playful slap from Sarah on his arm.

“ Ajee, donīt make fun of Nick. How would you feel if you had the stomach flu?”

“ Shitty!” AJ grinned and the rest of the crowed laughed. Sarah swapped his arm, ”Ajeee!!”

" Hey, itīs not like he is dying or anything."

" Nick has been awful sick alot lately, donīt you think?" Kevin frowned. He was thinking back at the AMA when the man had looked like utter and sheer hell. And by the look of it he wasnīt faring any better this day either. Poor kid!

" So what is new," Howie said lightly as he put sun lotion on Caroline's back, massaging it in. " We all know that whenever Nick is in for something important his nerves gets all wierd."

" Yeah or he is coming down with something." Kevin mumbled mostly to himself.

This was something they all agreed on and with laughter they started to talk about all of those times when they had been in the same situation as now. And there were many. Brian was the only one that wasnīt butting into the conversation. Instead he was thinking about all the "signs" that he saw and he debated wheather or not he should tell the rest of the guys about the ink marks. But that could be further embarrassing Nick and even if he was upset with him for withholding information Brian didnīt want his friend to suffer anything more than he did right now.

His thoughts were interupted by an loud shrill from Nick's cellphone. With an bit of hesitation Brian picked it up. " Nick Carters phone, Brian," he answered, as he hushed the rest of the crowed down. It was a Tampa area code and Brian instantly assumed that it was Nick's friend Mike on the other line. " Wassup?" he continue getting interrupted by a mature female voice, " This is Dr. Andersen. May I speak to Nick Carter?"

Brians heart jumped twice. What did an doctor want Nick? Was he right after all? That Nick was seeing someone for his eating disorder?

" Eh..uh.. Nick is an bit indesposed at the moment. Can I leave a message?" He swallowed hard.

" No, just tell him that I have called if he wants to page me pack." With that she hung up leaving Brian sitting silent, phone in hand.

" What was that about?" Kevin asked curious as he saw his cousin's strange behavoir. It was not like Brian, looking so concerned over an phone call.

" Ah nothing," He shrugged. " Just someone searching for Nick." He paused an bit before he added, " Probably from his record company." There were no use in scaring anyone, besides he only had his assumptions, no proof and this Dr. Andersen could be just anyone. Hadnīt Nick said that he was batteling the effects from some cold? Maybe this was his own physician and he was just getting a check up. Yeah that had to be it. A regular control!

p> " How are you feeling?"

" You need anything for your stomach?"

The questions were raining over Nick as he came out to the deck again. Paler than ever before. " I just wanted to tell you guys that I think Iīll pass on the dinner tonight. My stomach is completly out of control and I will go and lay down for an bit." It was taking him all the strength he could muster saying those words and there were sounds of dissapointment. "Sorry."

“ That's ok, Buddy,” Kevin said, laying an arm around his shoulder.” Take all the rest that you need.” There were some mumbles that he should take it easy.

" Hey Nick, someone called you while you were gone. Someone from your record company. Brian took the call." Howie interrupted, gesturing with his head towards the young Kentuckian.

"Oh,"

p>Nick paled even more. It was like he was sensing who had made the call and Brian noticed this instantly, " Yes someone named," he went silent for a moment, " Andersen.. Heard of that name before?"

Seeming an bit umcomfortable Nick said, " Yeah..yeah that is the guy that is into sounds and he probably wants me to call back."

p> "Yes Nick, SHE does want you to do that!" Brian said slowly, looking sternly into Nick's eyes.

"A she?" Now AJ was into the game. " Kaos buddy, why didnīt you say that you had met some chick?" He grinned. " Is she hot?"

" Ajeeee," Sarah interupted him.

" What?" he asked annoyed, " Canīt a guy ask if his little brother has met someone?"

" There are somethings that you might want to keep to yourself," Leighanne said with a smile. She was definatly referring to her and Brian's private life who she thought was way too public sometimes.

" Well, " AJ said, " Not if youīre in the Backstreet Boys! Donīt you know that everything we say and does gets in media or to the fans faster than the speed of light?" He said it with an mixture of fun and sadness.

" What did they want?" Kevin said as he sat down on the sunchair again. " You have to go in the studio? Or?"

" Why donīt we ask Nick?" Brian sneered and the rest of the guys looked at him.

Nick fidgeted nervously, " I really donīt feel well," he said, " Give me the phone Bri and I call from my room. Ok?" His pleadingly eyes looked at Brian and suddenly all of the anger that he felt for Nick hiding something important from him was gone. Replaced by an new form of concern.

As he handed Nick the phone, he said " I hope the stomach flu kicks back soon, and IF there is something bothering you, come and talk to me. Ok?"

" Sure," Nick said it too fast as he took the phone. This behavior puzzled the rest of the guys. As soon as Nick had gone back to the house Kevin turned to Brian.

" What is the matter with you? Why are you so upset with Nick?"

" Yeah man, is it something that you know that you donīt come out clean with?" AJ was always the suspecious one.

" No dude, itīs just that Nick has been acting so strange lately and Iīm concerned over him," he said with a sigh.

" Yes I think that goes for all of us," Howie nodded.

" Well, " When Kristin had been listening to the conversation long enough she cut in, " If you are so worried about him. Why donīt anyone of you ask him straight up what it is that is bothering him?"

" Honey you donīt know Nick," Kevin laughed, " Nickster make an art from keeping everything away from us these days. You should have seen how he acted in Japan when he had something as common as the mumps."

" Yeah, " AJ grinned, " You might have thought that he had cancer!" There were an chuckle and soon the worriness was all drowned away as they started to talk about the formal dinner party in Tokyo when Nick had been drunk out his ass.

All but Brian who silently thought about the phone call he just received from Dr. Andersen. There were something seriously wrong with Nick, he just knew it. And he intended to find out what.

Before it was too late.