- Text Size +
~*~*~*~*~

Kyung spotted Brian in the hall, leaning against the wall next to Nick's room, his head bowed. He appeared to be visibly shaken, his face ashen.

"Brian, what's wrong?" Kyung asked as she placed her hand on his shoulder.

Brian stood there for the longest time, not speaking, just slowly shaking his head back and forth. Finally after several minutes had passed, he looked at her, his eyes bloodshot and tired.

"I've always been able to fix things for Nick, always. This time I can't. I don't understand it," Brian mumbled.

"Fix what? What's wrong?" Kyung asked, searching his face for some type of clue. "He's still not having seizures, is he?"

"They think the last seizure he had before they put him under caused some problems," Brian began. His eyes were tearing up and he stopped speaking because his voice was failing him.

Kyung waited for Brian to regain his composure.

"They're saying he had a stroke---"

"Oh god," Kyung gasped, putting her hand to her mouth.

"Lizz? How is she doing?" Brian asked, worried about her welfare.

"She is starting dialysis right now. Naturally, she's scared to death," Kyung replied.

Overwhelmed with everything that was happening with Nick and Lizz, Brian's legs started to buckle. Kyung was able to catch him before he fell down to the floor.

~*~*~*~*~

I never got nervous about anything, but I sure as hell was now. Several people in scrubs had just let themselves into my room and were hooking up what I guessed was the dialysis machine. I wished more than anything that someone was in here with me. The techs, or whatever they were called, were very efficient. They wasted no time in setting everything up and getting this started. I wanted to find a way to stall them. I thought about saying I had to go to the bathroom, but my nurse made sure I went before the crew got here. She also had me weighed. That had something to do with the dialysis. Making sure that they exchanged the right amount of blood or something. I wasn’t too clear on all this yet.

“Okay Elizabeth, we are going to have to put the catheter in now.” One of the ladies told me. She took the needle out of the package and I could feel the color drain from my face.

“Oh my god.” I whispered. It was huge! I had never had a needle that big get put into me and I had had a lot of needles stuck in my in my life. And it was going in my neck? I wanted to throw up. Instead I started coughing uncontrollably. I do that when I get nervous, upset, or anxious. Now it was all of the above.

“Are you alright?” Another asked me watched me carefully.

I nodded and after a few minutes, the coughing subsided. “I’m ready.” I said hoarsely. Actually I wasn’t, but I didn’t have much choice.

“Wait, can’t I have some lidocaine or something?” My voice hit a frantic note as she moved towards me.

“I‘m sorry honey. With your compromised health, it would be dangerous to numb your neck that much.” The first one said apologetically. I saw that her name was Lenora.

“What about versed to knock me out?” I pleaded. I did not want to feel that thing.

“That would have to be ordered from the pharmacy and we have to get this started. We do have a spray though. It will be able to take some of the sting out.” She suggested.

“Okay.” That was a relief. She had me lay back and relax. Riiiight, relax...The other techs were fiddling with the machine. Man, I wanted someone here with me. She sprayed the stuff on my neck and waited. It was cold and almost immediately I started to go numb. She waited for about three minutes.

“Ready?” Lenora asked gently. I nodded and she counted to three. I didn’t feel the needle actually go in, but then once it was in, I felt her threading it. I sucked in my breath sharply and felt tears come to my eyes. It hurt.

“Hold still okay?” Lenora told me.

I clenched the sheets tightly in my hands and prayed that it would be over soon. After another minute she was done and began to secure it with tape. I let out a shaky breath and shut my eyes. “That was not cool.” I whispered.

“You did great though, honey.” I could hear a smile in her voice. “At the other end of the catheter are two tubes. One is for the outflow and the other is for the inflow. This will take about 4-6 hours and you might experience some side-effects. Especially considering your lung condition and your, um...overdose. Call your nurse if you feel anything.” She informed me.

“‘K” I whispered. She patted my knee and everyone left. I didn’t want to move so I just layed there as still as possible.

“We’ll be back in a little bit to check on you.” And then I was alone.

~*~*~*~*~

Terri rushed up to Monica. “I have been looking for you all day!”

Monica nodded absently. She wasn’t very please with Terri right now. She had found out about Terri calling the National Enquirer several days ago and was livid. How could Terri do that?! For all the years of being best friends, Monica had never seen this side of Monica.

“Have you seen the mob outside?! It’s huge!” Exclaimed Terri, excitedly.

“Yeah, I saw them.” Monica mumbled. She started to move past her to grab a few charts that needed tending.

“I just gave a couple interviews. It’ll be on tonight’s news. Think of the exposure this is giving me!” Terri was grinning gleefully.

Monica stared at her in disbelief. “Haven’t you thought that maybe they might want a little privacy here? When people start getting wind of what you did you could get fired!”

“No I wouldn’t. Freedom of speech. Besides Brian, or whatever his name is, shouldn’t have gone off on me like that. I mean geez! You should have heard the way he was talking to me!”

Monica exploded. “Dammit Terri, do you blame him? Honestly? You are telling the whole world that his best friend is suicidal! Come on!”

“The people have a right to know.” Terri said hotly.

“No they don’t! That is their personal business. Not ours or anyone else’s! What has gotten into you?” Monica glared at her.

“Please, Mon, don’t tell me that this doesn’t excite you just a little bit. It doesn’t get any juicier than this. Nick Carter tried to kill himself and in the process took some other girl down with him. He, more than anyone should have the perfect life, and yet he does this? Why? And who is this other chick? How does she play into it? Why would she do such an insane thing?” Her eyes were glowing.

Monica felt like she was going to be ill. “You must think this is some sort of game. Do you realize that these are people’s lives? Neither one of them are looking too good at the moment. How can you be so sick?! It’s like I don’t even know you!”

“Oh relax, sheesh.” Terri waved her hand as if dismissing Monica’s anger.

“Look...” Monica started icily. But she was cut of by a doctor that was running by.

“Monica, I need you. A young male just collapsed.” He called.