- Text Size +
~*~*~*~*~

Brian woke up finding himself laying on a stretcher in the emergency room. He started to sit up but was immediately pushed back down by a surgical gloved hand.

“Lay back down, okay?”

Brian looked up at the voice and saw that it was Kyung. He felt a little relief, but then winced as he felt a needle plunge into a vein in his arm. He noticed also that they had an IV going.

“I don’t have time for this, I’m okay,” Brian protested.

“You collapsed in the hall way, Brian, that’s not normal,” Kyung reminded.

“Let them check you over and then decide, okay? I’m sure they will do what’s best for you,” Kyung stated. “I’ll stay with you while they take you down for the CT.”

“CT? I said I’m fine, why do they insist on doing so many things?” Brian asked, his voice sounded agitated.

“Like I said before, you collapsed, they just want to make sure everything is alright. Just humor them, okay?”

Brian was upset at the thought of being dragged through the emergency room, but deep down he knew that Kyung was right. He already made his mind up that he collapsed because of all that was happening, but he would just wait until the doctors decided that is what they would diagnose.

~*~*~*~

Lizz drew herself to the conclusion that dialysis sucked. There were no other two ways about it. The topical anesthetic that was applied to numb her neck was wearing off and she felt more aware of the needles. She mentally reprimanded herself for drinking the albuterol that pushed her kidneys to the limit. But still, she knew deep down that should would do it again if the situation was there.

She lazily surfed throught the channels looking for something to watch. Lizz stopped on Mtv. She figured music could soothe her nerves and maybe wear her down so she could rest.

They were having the top 10 countdown on TRL and, as usual, someone from n’sync was sucking up to Carson Daly. Lizz laughed when she remembered her online buddy Lisa always said that n’sync lived in a dumpster behind the studios.

The One video was shown and Lizz suddenly found herself thinking about how Nick was doing but the next thought that popped into her head was the fact that Kyung had not returned from checking back with Brian. She immediately started thinking the worst scenarios and looked for the nurse call button.

Caroline, her dialysis nurse came immediately into the room. “Something wrong, sweetie?”

“Kyung was supposed to come back and I haven’t seen her. You know her, right?” Lizz asked with a hopeful tone in her voice.

“Sorry, I don’t,” Caroline apologized.

“Dammit, I need to page her or something, this is crazy,” Lizz stated as she squirmed in her bed.

“Calm down Lizz, don’t get yourself worked up now. What’s the number?” Caroline asked.

Lizz gave Caroline the pager number. She wrote it down and promised that she would page Kyung when she got back to the nurse’s station.

~*~*~*~*~

Terri followed Monica to the ER and saw them working on Brian Littrell. She faded back into a doorway when the gurney was pushed past her. Once she knew that Monica was busy with Brian, Terri decided to wander up to Nick Carter’s room and see what was going on with him. She knew the National Enquirer could use more updated information and she definitely was going to get it. They told her if she could provide photos, it would push up the payment she would get by thousands depending on the quality of the picture.

Grabbing her cleaning cart, Terri slowly pushed it down the ICU hall way. There was no mistaking which room was Nick Carter’s. There was a security guard assigned outside the room. She nonchalantly breezed up to the door with her cart and showed the guard her identification tag.

~*~*~*~*~

I was starting to feel slightly nauseated now. I had a relatively tough stomach so I tried my best to ignore it. TRL was over so I flipped the channel. I never watched TV anymore so I didn’t know what was on. I couldn’t keep my mind on that anyway. The churning feeling in my stomach got worse only it wasn’t just nausea. It was also a clenching, twisting feeling. This was different. I started to feel agitated. What the hell? My whole body got tense like there was something wrong. It was something kin to a sixth sense. I knew something was wrong. And I knew what it was concerned with.

The machines started to make some beeping noises. It was the heart monitor. My heart was racing and I could only attribute it to what was happening so suddenly. I knew a racing heart could be a side effect to the dialysis, but this felt different somehow. It was starting to scare me.

Not five seconds are the beeps started going off, Caroline rushed in. “Sweetie, what is it?” She asked.

I was starting to shake now. “What the hell?” I whispered.

“Relax, take a deep breath.” She instructed.

“This isn’t from the dialysis. It’s different.” I gasped urgently. It was starting to sink in what was happening to me, but I couldn’t tell her. She would think I was nuts. Hell, I was beginning to question it myself.

“Lizz, you need to calm down.” She said gently, but sternly.

I shook my head. “What is going on with Nick? I need to know.” I couldn’t stop shaking. I was so tense, my muscles began to ache. My breathing became erratic almost. I needed to know.

“Sweetie, now isn’t the time.” She said carefully as she adjusted my oxygen flow.

“Where is Kyung?” I was beginning to grow desperate. There was urgency in my feelings and it was beginning to take me over.

“She, uh, is tied up with a patient.” Caroline looked uncomfortable.

I needed Kyung. I was on the verge of losing it. I had never been in such a state as this in my life. I knew what was making me do this, but I didn’t know how or why it hit so suddenly. Something was wrong. “What is happening with Nick? I know something is wrong. He is upset about something and I have to know what it is!” My eyes darted wildly.

She looked shocked. It was almost like she couldn’t fathom my behavior. All I knew was that the tension in my body was getting stronger and the desperation was spinning me out of control. I felt like I was beginning to unravel and I tried to fight the overwhelming panic. There was a battle going on inside me. But it wasn’t my battle. I was feeling Nick’s.

*~*~*~*

I was expecting to see my nurse named Allison come into the room when I heard the door opening. I wasn't surprised to see a girl from housekeeping come in with her cart. I decided I needed to try and see if I could move my right hand yet.

"Hi, how are you today?"

I couldn't answer this girl if I wanted to. Hell, I couldn't smile either. I know I must have looked like a total idiot, staring blankly at her, but there was nothing I could do, period.

"Oh my god, you can't talk, can you?"

This was exactly what I was trying to avoid. I wanted to get this girl out of my room but I knew I couldn't order her out.

As Terri pulled the camera out of her pocket, she thought she saw Nick's eyes flash with anger. She ignored it and started firing off picture after picture of Nick lying helpless in a hospital bed.

The monitors on the side of Nick's bed started beeping as his heart rate soared and his oxygen levels plummeted. Nick started hyperventilating which caused Terri to panic. She quickly shoved the camera into her pocket and started to reach for the nurse call button when Nurse Allison Harding rushed into the room.

Allison was surveying the situation when another nurse raced in. Allison barked out some type of medication that was to be given to Nick STAT and the nurse quickly turned and left the room, re-entering in a few moments with a syringe.

Terri watched off to the side of the room as the nurse quickly swabbed Nick's IV line and injected the medication into the IV. Within seconds, the heart rate evened out and the monitors stopped their repetitive beeping. Nick's whole body went limp as he drifted back off to sleep.

After Allison checked the lines going from Nick's body to the machines, she turned and faced Terri.

"Tell me, what exactly happened in here?" Allison asked, her eyes searching Terri's face for a clue.

"I don't know, all I was doing was cleaning and all of a sudden his machines started going crazy," Terri lied to the nurse.

Back at the nurse's station, Allison pulled Nick's chart and opened it to the nurse's note page. In it she described what went on with Nick and then next to it wrote the words "panic attack."