- Text Size +
Brian and Kyung exchanged glances as Lizz moaned quietly. Kyung quickly tucked the paper under her arm. Lizz’s eyes fluttered opened and she looked around the room, finally focusing on her two visitors.

“How’s Nick?” Lizz croaked, her throat was dry and scratchy.

Kyung grabbed the glass of ice water from the bed stand and placed the straw near Lizz’s mouth.

“Sh-h-h-h, just keep still, sweetie,” Kyung soothed.

Lizz shook her head slowly. “No, I need to know!”

The heart monitor started to ring quickly, indicating that Lizz’s pulse was racing again. It stopped as fast as it started.

Brian eyed the machine warily. “Lizz, Nick is just fine, please; you have to concentrate on your own health.” Brian felt awful about lying to her, but he knew deep down that Lizz would accept anything he told her and she would quiet down.

Satisfied with Brian’s reply, Lizz smiled slightly. Her eyes burned, she was so drained of energy, she almost wanted to give up this whole fight, her body felt weak and tired but Lizz knew she had to continue on focusing in getting better for Nick, Kyung and even Brian at this point.

Lizz frowned.

“What’s wrong?” Kyung asked, the concerned look on her face mirrored Lizz’s frown.

Lizz looked directly into Brian’s blue eyes. “How come Nick is alone in his room?”

Brian met Lizz’s stare. “Because he’s sleeping.” Brian wasn’t going to add any more information but the decided to add an additional piece, “His folks are in his room with him.”

Lizz noticed the paper tucked under Kyung’s arm. “Can I see your paper?”

Kyung glanced nervously over at Brian. “Um, this is an old paper, you’ve probably already read it.”

“Oh, come on, lemme see it,” Lizz insisted, grabbing the paper out from under Kyung’s arm.

Stunned, Brian and Kyung waited for Lizz’s reaction to the headlines.

*~*~*~*~*

I have never thought my mother looked old, but at this moment she looked as if she had aged sixty years. Her eyes were bloodshot, like Brian’s and I could tell she had been crying. My dad didn’t look much better. I wanted to say something to reassure them, but I couldn’t do a damn thing no matter how much I wanted to.

I looked around the room for that girl from housekeeping.

“Nicky? Sweetheart? What’s wrong?” Jane asked as she smoothed the blankets up upon Nick’s chest.

God, I wanted to tell her what had happened with that girl, the photos she took and the things she was saying. I was growing frustrated and I started feeling the characteristic feelings of those stupid panic attacks I had been prone to having. I knew damn well that I wasn’t on the meds I needed to prevent them. The monitor next to my bed starting its steady pinging noise as I started to feel my heart beating hard against my chest.

“Nick, calm down,” Bob Carter directed towards his son.

I tried to take my thoughts away from that housekeeping girl named Terri. I had her face ingrained in my mind. I would never forget her and I planned on telling someone about her as soon as I could..... or could I tell someone now? I swallowed hard and concentrated on the girl’s name..... Terri.

“Ma.”

What the hell, that wasn’t the word I wanted. Was my brain short-circuiting or something? My mom was appreciative of the word, she was smiling, I, however, was dying inside.

Okay Nick, let’s try this again, I desperately coached myself. I coughed slightly, trying to clear my throat.

“Ma.”

“Yes honey, I’m here for you,” Jane replied with tears in her eyes.

~*~*~*~*~

I stared at the paper, not believing what I was seeing. On one side it was a picture of Nick in his bed, unconscious. It was split, with me on the other side. I could see the dialysis machines in the background. This just happened? I couldn’t even say anything. I could only stare at the cover. I felt like my heart was breaking into a million pieces. This wasn’t going to be hidden from anyone. Who had done this?! Finally I tore my eyes away and looked up at Kyung, then Brian. They both watched me expectantly. I think they were waiting for me to start freaking out or get really angry like I knew my temper would let me. Truth was, at this very moment, I couldn’t. I felt so drained. So broken by it. A single tear slipped down my cheek.

“Lizz...” Kyung began as she moved towards me. I shook my head and closed my eyes. I couldn’t do it right now. I felt so hopeless at that moment. I knew what Kyung was thinking. She knew that it was my nature to push people away when I was hurting. I didn’t want to hurt her, but I knew that if she so much as gave me the smallest of hugs, that I would totally break. I didn’t want to do that. Not in front of Kyung. Especially not in front of Brian, who looked like he was already struggling. And more than anything, not for Nick. I had no choice. I had to be strong. Unfortunately it was getting harder.

~*~*~*~*~

Brain glanced at Kyung. This was not the reaction that he expected out of Lizz. He had thought she would break down. Instead she remained calmer that he would have thought possible. When she had finally looked up at them, he could see it in her eyes. He could see the pain. His heart literally ached. When Kyung had tried to go over to Lizz, Lizz shook her head and shut her eyes.

Kyung threw Brian a pained look. Lizz still was sitting there quietly, eyes closed. Occasionally a tear would slip out. A few awkward minutes passed and then suddenly her eyes flew open.

“Oh god! It’s happening again!” Lizz cried.

“What?!” Kyung jumped up. Brian’s eyes widened.

The heart monitor started to beep faster. Kyung stared up at it and watched in amazement and horror as the rate kept climbing. “Lizz, what’s wrong?” Kyung demanded.

“It’s Nick. Something’s wrong. Oh god.” Lizz choked out as she clutched her midsection.

Brian shook his head. “He was sleeping. Lizz, he’s fine.”

Lizz shook her head and started to throw back the covers. She was trembling. “I don’t know what it is, but something is wrong! I have to get to his room.”

“I’ll get her nurse.” Kyung said quickly as she rushed out the door.

Brian nodded as he gently pushed Lizz back into her pillow. “You aren’t in any position to be getting up. Lizz, you need to relax. You’re just upset about the paper, okay? Nick is fine.” Brian tried to convince her.

But Lizz only grew more upset. “Listen, Brian, it isn’t the paper. It’s different. I don’t know how to explain it. I just feel it. He’s upset. I can feel it inside him. Oh god, make it stop!” She whimpered. “I can’t control it! Why is this happening?! What’s wrong with me?” She moaned. She was starting to gasp for air. She was shaking like a leaf.

Kyung and two other nurses burst into the room. One of them exclaimed softly, “she’s doing it again!” The other pushed a syringe full of sedative into Lizz’s IV.

Lizz could feel it taking effect and got even more agitated. “No! You can’t knock me out! I have to stay awake!” She cried out. Her eyes locked onto Brian. “Go help Nick.” She whispered urgently.

Brian nodded as Lizz’s eyes fell shut. He risked a glance at Kyung, who appeared to be fighting tears. The first nurse started to adjust the IV pump while the second nurse proceeded to ask Kyung what had happened.

At that moment another nurse poked her head through the door. “Trish, I need your help. Patient in 13 just had another one.”

Without a word, Brian pushed past the nurse in the doorway and into Nick’s room with Kyung right behind him. Nick’s heart monitor was beeping wildly. Jane was crying in her husband’s arms. Brian grabbed Nick’s hand and stared into the all too familiar look of fear and desperation in Nick’s eyes. It all became too much for Brian and once again, his world started to spin.