- Text Size +
AJ kept trying to talk to me all day. Every hour or so there would be a knock at my door followed by AJ saying, "We have to talk. Please, just open your door." I would ignore him, throw something at the door, or tell him to leave me alone. A few times he lost his patience (Not a good thing to do when you have akid whom you haven't seen for 11 years locking herself in her room and hating you...) and started banging on my door yelling, "Kelly! Open the fucking door now! I'm not playing around!" Hahahahaha! I though that this was wildly hilarious so I played along and cussed right back.

Now I sit here in my bed, holding that stupid pink dog, just waiting for him to come back. And come back he did. He tried the nice approach again.

"Kelly, can you please let me in? I want to ask you something." He said.

"Why waste my time by making me open the door when you can ask me now?" I called back, "I can hear you telling me to open the fucking door, I can hear you ask me a question."

He gave up and walked away. Ha! Bet he didn't really have a question. It was just another excuse to get in here.

I sat there staring at nothing in particular for a few minutes until suddenly walked inside and said, "I found the key."

I glared at him. "What do you want?" I asked.

"I have to talk to you." AJ said.

"I know this. You've only been repeating it every five seconds!" I told him.

"I don't want you to hate me." AJ said.

"Too late." I told him, rolling over in my bed and putting my head in the pillows.

"What can I do to make you not hate me?" AJ asked.

"Go away." I answered.

"Will that make yo love me?" AJ questioned.

I threw the only thing I had near enough to me: the stuffed dog. "No." I said.

For a moment AJ said nothing. Then he said quietly, "You still have this?"

"What?" I asked, taking my head out of the pillows and looking at him.

AJ held out the dog. "This. I got it for you on your first birthday." He said, walking over to my bed and placing it on it.

"Oh hell no." I said. I didn't want to believe that.

"Yeah." AJ said, "I thought you would have gotten rid of it."

I picked up the dog and said, "I never knew who gave it to me." An idea formed in my head and I said, "Hmm. But since you gave it to me..." I threw it across the room and it landed in the trash can. Score! "It's a piece of shit."

AJ shook his head. "If you only knew how much I wish I could...God! Never mind!"

"No, what is it? If I only knew how much you wish kill me? Slap me? Throw me out on the streets?" I asked, "Cuz I'm open to any of those. At least I won't have to be with you."

AJ sighed. "No. I wish I could send you back to your mom." He said.

"Go ahead. I wish you could too." I said. I tried to make it sound like I didn't care, but inside I was thinking, Whoa! Did he say that to ME? Dude, that's harsh.

But I'm not going to. I'm not giving up on you." AJ said, "Besides, I made a promise to your mom."

"Yeah, and God knows that a Backstreet Boy has to live up to his promise." I said sarcastically.

"Would you stop making cracks about me being in the Backstreet Boys?" AJ asked.

"Nope. It's too fun." I told him.

AJ shook his head and got up. "I'm going to my room. Just so you know, the other guys are coming over tomorrow so you should wake up early and get ready. Unless you want someone walking in on you in the shower."

"Okay. Um...go." I told AJ.

AJ began to walk to the door, but stopped and looked at the pink dog in the trash can. He picked it up and threw it on my bed. "Forget I told you I gave it to you." He told me.

"Why?" I asked, "Did you not really give it to me? You just wanted to make it so I liked you more for giving me it?"

"No. Because it obviously means something to you and I don't want to ruin that for you." After he said this, he walked out of my room and shut the door.

I picked up the dog and held it close to me. So I finally unraveled the mystery of the dog. It kind of sucked to know. I'd always thought in the bacm of my mind that Dad had given it to me. Oh wait! Dad? I mean AJ. I'd always thought that AJ had given it to me. He would never really be my dad.