- Text Size +
It was a few weeks later and the only thing that had really changed between AJ and I was that I didn't hate him. I liked him, sure, but I didn't love him. Not yet, anyway. I had been surprised to find out that he was actually really nice and fun to be around. But shhh...don't tell him I told you so.

While AJ was at his moms' house, I sat downstairs in the living room and watched TV as I talked to Jared on the phone.

"You nervous about school starting?" Jared asked.

"Hell yeah!" I told him, "They start in four weeks here. Two weeks earler than over there!"

"I'll think of a way to get you out of it." Jared told me.

I laughed. "J, you're like a katrillion miles! How do you expect to do that?"

I could tell that Jared was shrugging as he said, "I'll think of something. I always do."

"Okay, genius. You do that." I said with a smiled, "I've got to go. AJ is bringing his mom here and I have to meet her."

Jared laughed. "I wish I could be there."

I rolled my eyes. "I'll talk to you later." I said.

"Bye." Jared hung up still laughing at me.

He knew that I'd make a fool of myself in front of this woman. In front of any adult I say or do something completely retarded. Once in front of Jared's grandmothere, I stubbed my tow on his sisters crib and started cussing up a storm. His grandmother was "shocked" at how "such a pretty girl can have such an ugly mouth". It also kind of freaked her out that I was only 11 and knew every curse word known to man in almost four different languages. What can I say? I'm talented.

As I was putting the phone back in it's cradle thef front door opened and I heard a woman say, "I can't wait to see her, Alex. Now that things are better between the two of you and all."

I stood up and walked over to the living room doorway. I stood in it and watched as AJ walked in with his mother.

"Hi." I said to her, trying to be all cheerful. Let me tell you, it's kind of hard for me.

There was an awkward silence. Crap, were they waiting for me to say something? Hell no! I was the first to speak. Their turn!

AJ spoke up. "Mom, this is Kelly. You know her, of course, because I always used to make you watch her."

"I remember." She said with a smile.

"And Kel, this is my mom, Denise." AJ told me.

I smiled. I felt weird. I always feel weird. I must be crazy or something. Someone needs to get me on some meds. It might help me a-

"Kelly," Denise said, pulling me out of my thoughts. "You gotten so big."

I smiled. Yes, that is what usually happens throughout the years.

"You're so beautiful." She continued.

My smile wavered a bit. I have a feeling that she's blind...yes, that must be it.

As she bent down to hug me she said, "I can't believe how long it's been."

She kept on talking but all I was thinking was get off me. Get off me. But she couldn't read my mind. Darn. Why not, for once, can I have someone be able to read my mind?

Then AJ, God bless him, got his mother off of me. "Let's go sit down. That way you can catch up with Kelly without strangling her." He said.

I followed AJ and Denise into the living room. I had to sit next to her on the couch...

"So Kelly, what have you been up to?" Denise questioned.

"A whole lot of nothing." I told her.

"Ah...sounds interesting." She said.

"Yup. Very interesting." I joked.

AJ tried t save us, but failed miserably. "Um, Kelly here has been seeing this guy, Chris, for a few weeks. Why don't you tell her about him."

"Oh, is he a boyfriend?" Denise asked.

Good save, AJ. GOOD FREAKING SAVE!

I glared at AJ and turned to Denise. I smiled sweetly and said, "No, we've just gone out a few times."

"Oh..." Denise looked uncomfortable, "Alex, isn't this about the age that you started dating Allison?"

"Yeah, but we were a lot different, Mom." AJ said,

"I used to catch the two of you outside of our apartment making out." Denise remembered with a small laugh, "Kelly, are you and this...Chris boy like that?"

"N-no! Not at all!" I said. Why the heck was this woman interrogating me?

"Mom, okay...cut it out." AJ said. He was probably just as embarrased as I was. His mom had just told me about when he used to make out with my mom.

"Alright, I just wanted to know." Denise said.

"So..." I said. There was nothing to talk about.

Then the doorbell rang. "I'll get it." I said, jumping up. SAVED BY THE BELL!