- Text Size +
"I'll get it!" I said, jumping up. Anything to get me away from these two for a minute.

I ran to the door and flung it open, not really caring who was on the other side. (I was just glad that they were there!) But I was happy when I saw with Chris with Evan and Paul. Jordan was on the sidewalk trying (but failing miserably) to grind on the curb.

"Hey, what are you guys doing here?" I asked them.

Paul shrugged. "Chris wanted to see if you wanted to hang out today." He said.

Chris elbowed Paul in the ribs and sent him a death glare. I laughed and said, "I wish I could, but AJ's mom is here and I'm beinf held against my will here."

"Oh, do you want us to get you out of it?" Evan asked.

"No, not right now, but maybe I'll call-" I started, but the sound of AJ's voice stopped me.

"Kel, who the hell is at the door?" He asked, coming up behind me, "Hey that rhymed." He laughed until he saw Chris, Paul, and Evan looking at him like he was weird, and Jordan looking on curiously from the sidewalk.

"Oh, uh, AJ this is Paul, Chris, and Evan." I motioned to each of them and then pointed to Jordan, "And that over there is Jordan."

"WAZZUP?!?!" Jordan yelled stupidly.

I shook my head. "And this is AJ. My dad." I said, stressing the word dad.

Jordan stopped being an idiot and said, "Oh shit! That's your dad? I thought he was your brother!"

I smiled. "Ih, no. Unfortunently, he's my dad."

"Unfortunently?" AJ questioned, "If it weren't for me, little girl, you wouldn't be here."

"You don't know that for a fact. I could be..."

"No no no. Trust me...you wouldn't be here." AJ said.

I sighed. No matter where we are we can end up in an argument. Mostly about the most retarded crap. I looked at the guys who were looking on with great amusement. Jeez, we aren't that interesting.

"Well, I'm kind of busy now, so I'll see you later." I told them.

"Wait," AJ said, holding the foor open. He leaned against it as turned to Chris. "So you're Chris, huh? I fianlly ger to meet you. Kelly talks about you like you're God or something."

I rolled my eyes. "AJ, stooooop it." I whined. "Go back to your mom and piss her off for a while."

AJ looked at me and asked, "Oh, am I embarassing you?"

I nodded. Of course he is! He's ruining any chance I have with Chris here!

"I'm sorry." AJ said. He didn't look or sound sorry at all. He turned back to Chris. "So...is your hair always blue like that?"

Chris looked at me, and then back to AJ. "Uh...after I dye it." He said. I felt so sorry for him. AJ was putting him on the spot.

"How old are you?" He asked.

"AJ!" I hissed, "Cut it out!"

"I'm 15." Chris answered.

AJ looked horrified for a moment and then asked, "So...how long until your 16?"

"Oh, I just turned 15." Chris told him, "About two months ago."

AJ looked a little less horrified at that, but not by much.

"Okay, well we've got to go. We'll talk to you later, kay? Kay. Come on, AJ." I pulled AJ away from the door abd waved to them all who were beginning to leave.

As soon as the door was closed securly behind us AJ and I started to argue again. "What the hell was that? Why were you just putting him on the spot?" I screamed, just as AJ said, "15? 15-years-old! He's 2 years older than you and has blue hair!"

"Who cares if he has blue hair? God, how many hair colors have you had?" I asked.

"I am an adult. I can dye my hair green if I wanted to!" AJ yelled back at me.

"What? You haven't already?" I asked.

At that moment, Denise came walking in from the living room. "What's going on in here?" She asked.

"Nothing." We answered at the same time. I glared at him.

"I'm going outside." AJ muttered. As he walked toward the door he picked up his pack of cigarettes and a lighter.

I looked at Denise. Crap...he'd gone and left me with a woman I don't even know.

"I didn't do anything." I blurted out.

"I know you didn't." Denise told me, "Alex does have a short temper sometimes..."

"Yeah, I know from experience." I said.

"Really? You?" Denise asked, "What did he do?"

No I'm getting him in trouble. "Um, nothing much. Just kind of get angry with me." I said, "But he had a right to," I added quickly, "I wasn't exactly being nice to him."

Denise nodded and said, "Why don't you go get him? He's just out there smoking."

"Oh, out there causing cancer. Interesting."

I walked to the door and opened it slightly. AJ was sitting on the porch steps and looked back when he heard the door open. He was holding one cigaretter and I noticed another on the ground next to him.

I walked out and shut the door behind me. "Did you know that second-hand smoke kills 35,000 people each year? And that's a lot. What if I die? Wouldn't that be horrible?"

"Uh...yeah. It would be. Well, I'm gonna put this thing out."

"That's nice." I said as I watched him drop the cigarette onto the concrete porch. "Helping me to live...That makes up for everything you've ever done to me before."

"Okay, what do you want?" He asked me.

"Nothing..." I insisted, "I just wanted to be in the presence of my wonderful father. Is that so wrong?"

"Uh, yeah. At least from you."

"Okay...I know. So, can I have fifty dollars?" I asked him.

"Nope."

I glared at him as I stood up. "You are so mean..." I told him.

"Love you, too."