- Text Size +
The plane ride to Florida was silent. AJ wouldn't talk to me, and I didn't talk to him either.

The car ride back to his house was pretty much silent, too. All he asked me was if I was hungry, I told him that I was and we stopped by at Burger Kind because it was on the way. I thought he would have gone out of his way to go to McDonald's because he's such a freak about it, but he didn't.

When we got back home I was forced into bringing my stuff in by myself. AJ didn't help me one bit. And once I got inside he had already gone upstairs. Rude, I tell ya, rude! I lugged my stuff upstairs and into my room.

I closed the door and walked to my bed. I set the Burger King bag in front of me and took out my chicken sandwich (uh, mmm.). But I couldn't eat it. I had peanuts on the plane. I'm not hungry.

As I poked at my sandwich, AJ walked inside of my room. I looked at him without saying anything. I couldn't say anything in fear he would get angry.

But he didn't say anything either. Is he giving me the silent treatment? I thought that was my job! All that AJ did was walk over to me and hug me. Whoa there, boy...heh heh. Freaking me out now. I didn't protest or anything, though. But I didn't hug him back. That would be too weird.

"God, Kelly, how could you just leave?"

I shrugged. "Jared just showed up so I figured I had to go with him."

AJ saw my sandwich on the bed, with holes in it from where I'd massacred it, and asked, "Why didn't you eat that?"

"Oh, I'm not too hungry."

"Oh, okay." AJ said, "And just so you know, you didn't have to go with Jared."

That was the last thing he said before he got up and began to leave my room.

"Wait, AJ." I said.

He turned to face me. "Yeah?" He asked.

"I really am sorry. Not just because I did something wrong, but because I know I must have gotten you worried." I said.

AJ nodded. "Hell yeah you did," He told me, "I almost called your mom thinking you really were at her house."

"Oh good. So you didn't call her?" I asked.

He shook his head. "I didn't want her to worry about you." He told me.

"Thank you! My mom would freak out." I said.

"I know. That's why I didn't call her." AJ told me, "But I would have if you didn't call at all. And I'm glad that you did."

"So you honestly had no idea that I would be at Jared's house?" I asked.

"I don't know Jared. Even if I did, I don't know his number." AJ told me, "But I did call Chris and he and his friends went looking for you around the neighborhood."

"Why'd you call Chris?" I asked.

"I thought that you might have been at his house." He told me.

"Why would I go there?" I asked.

"I thought you were mad at me so you wanted to get away from me." AJ asked.

I shook my head. "Why would I just try and get away from you?" I asked.

"Because you hate me. Remember?" AJ asked like I was an idiot.

"I don't hate you." I insisted.

"Oh yeah. You like me. My mistake." He corrected himself.

"No, I don't just like you," I said, "'You're my dad. I'm forced into loving you no matter how much you screw up my life."

AJ smiled at this. An actual real smile. "Aaaw...you're forced into living me." He said, "That's almost sentimental."

"Yeah, almost. But who knows. Maybe in a few weeks it will be heartfelt." I told him.

"Yeah right. After I send you to school, you'll hate me forever." He said before walking out of my room, closing the door behind him.

School. NOOOO! I'd missed the first day so now I was just going to stand out even more in the crowd. I didn't know anyone except for Evan in my school. And he was only going because he kept on failing the 8th grade. Yeah, I'll probably be repeating it, too.

I groaned and fell back. Great, I really do hate AJ now. Only not really. I can't hate that pierced, tattooed man.