- Text Size +
As AJ and I were walking out of the school to his car a few minutes later, AJ said, "Ashley Johnson told me she wouldn't sue if I went somewhere with her."

I laughed. How freaking hilarious. "Like mother like daughter, huh? Both of them are obsessed with you. So, what did you say?" I asked.

"Yeah, of course I am. Do you think I'm going to let her sue me?" AJ asked.

I shrugged. "You've got loads of money." I said.

"Yeah, but we don't need to waste that money on a girls fucked up nose." AJ told me.

"You can waste it on whatever you like." I told him.

"Well I don't want to waste it on that." AJ told me.

"Didn't think so." I said, "But it was worth a try."

When we reached AJ's car, he unlocked my door and then went to the drivers side. I got inside and securely put on my seatbelt. Take no chances.

"So why were you so late? What were you doing?" I asked when AJ came into the car.

"Someone came by to see me." AJ said, starting up the car.

"Really... who?" I asked.

"No one special. Just...just someone, Kelly, okay? Now why were you fighting?" AJ asked, trying to change the subject.

"I had momentum." I told him, "Now who is this 'someone' you speak of?" I changed the subject again.

"My ex." AJ finally told me.

"Really? Well what were you doing?" I asked, "Cuz I heard it only takes 15 minutes to-"

"Kelly!" AJ said, "Shut up! That's not what we were doing!"

"You told me to shut up... Don't you think I've been through enough?!" I exclaimed.

"YOU'VE been through too much? I'm the one having to pick up my daughter who got suspended the first day to school, and I have to go out with some woman who's ten years older than me so I don't get sued! You've got it easy!" AJ said, "But not for long. I'm still thinking of what to do with you."

"Let me off with just a warning?" I suggested cautiously.

AJ laughed. "Yeah right! Maybe I'll make you clean the house."

I gasped. AJ's house was freaking messy! "That's cruel and unusual punishment and I refuse to do it!" I announced.

AJ nodded. "Yeah, I think that is what I'll make you do." He said.

"Nooooooo!" I cried, "Don't make me do it! Mom would just tell me never to get in a fight again and make me do the dishes for a few days."

"Well, I'm not your mom." AJ said, "Oh, that reminds me, she called last night after you went to sleep. She wants you to call her."

"Oh, okay." I said.

I hadn't talked to my mom since I got here. I was too mad at her for making me come to live with AJ. But now that he and I were getting along, there was no reason for me to be angry at her anymore.

"So are you going to call her?" AJ asked when we were down the street from his house.

I shrugged. "I guess. It has been a few months since I've talked to her." I said.

"Good. She's pretty confused why you won't call her." AJ told me, "I told her it was because you were busy and you didn't have the time."

"So you lied to her for me?" I asked.

AJ glanced at me as he pulled into his parking lot and said, "Well, she didn't need to know the real reason."

"Great. I don't want her to know the real reason." I said.

"Uh, yeah." AJ agreed, "Don't want her to know that you don't like it here."

"Didn't like it here." I corrected him, "I like it here now. It's better than with my mom in that crap apartment."

AJ smiled and asked, "Are you sucking up so I don't make you clean."

"You're too smart...way too smart."