- Text Size +
I sat in a chair bored out of my mind while Chris and Evan played pool. AJ left for his date about half an hour ago. He didn't seem all too excited about it.

"You sure you don't want to play, too, Kel?" Evan asked me.

I shook my head. "No. I hate pool." I told him.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because I had to think of an excuse real fast." I answered him.

"So what DO you want to do?" Evan asked me.

"Sabotage AJ's date." I told him.

Chris dropped what he was doing right away and said, "Great, let's go. You know where they are? Oh well if you don't. We can find his car."

I laughed. Chris was up to anything. I looked at Evan who shrugged. "I guess... " He said.

"Yay!" I squealed happily, "Let's go."

Chris followed me out of AJ's house with Evan close behind him. "Okay," I said once we got outside, "Where'd ya park, Evan?"

"A little ways down the street." He told me.

I peered down the street, which was lit by the streetlamps on the side of the road. I spotted Evan's car and began to run towards it.

I heard Chris and Evan laugh at me. I stopped dead in my tracks and turned to face them. "Stop screwing around and hurry your asses to the car! We've got a date to ruin here!" I yelled at them.

Chris and Evan hurried their paces and caught up with me when I was at Evan's car.

"Okay, you sit in the back." Evan told me, unlocking the backseat, "Me and Chris'll sit up front."

I rolled my eyes and opened the door. "God, am I not worthy of a seat up front?" I questioned.

Evan and Chris looked at each other. "Nope." They answered together and both got inside the car.

As soon as Evan's door was closed, we were off. I realized that Evan was a much more cautious driver than AJ was. And he was only seventeen for Christ sake!

"So where are they?" Evan asked me once we'd gotten downtown.

"I dunno. Some French restaurant." I told him.

"Some French restaurant." Chris echoed, "There are about a million of those around here."

"Well... it has a 'Che' in it." I remembered.

"Well that narrows it down a lot." Evan muttered.

"Hey, shut your face." I said, leaning over so I was more into the front seat.

"You know, I don't have to help you ruin this date. I offered-"

"You didn't offer shit. This was all my-"

"It's my damn-"

"It's not your damn anything!"

"Hey!" Chris yelled, "Stop it. Jesus. You fight like your brother and sister or something."

"I'm an only child." I told him.

"I've already got a sister." Evan said, "And a damn evil one at that."

"Okay, look, we'll just look around the parking lots of a few and find your dad's car. Simple." Chris suggested.

"Why are you so into this? I didn't think either of you would want to do this with me." I said.

Chris shrugged. "We've been sorely lacking entertainment the past few days. We gotsta do somethin."

************

We must have looked around five parking lots before we found AJ's car in one of em. I didn't even bother to look at the name of the restaurant. Chris, Evan, and I just walked in as nonchalantly as we could. We didn't want to draw any unwanted attention to ourselves.

But it was kind of hard. Here we were, three teenagers walking into a fancy place like this wearing our "casual" clothes. And one person had blue damn hair! That's got to draw some attention.

"So are we going to get a table?" Chris whispered to me.

I nodded. I stood on my tiptoes and looked around the restaurant for AJ and Ashley. I finally spotted them on the other side. If we could just get there without making any noise...

"How can I help you?" A man with a heavy French accent asked.

Evan took this one. "Table for three, please." He asked in his most adult tone.

The man studied each of us up and down before saying, quite rudely if you ask me, "I'm sorry. But we only take reservations here."

"Oh, well could you make an exception here?" Chris asked.

"No." He said simply, "Besides," He stuck up his nose, "No casual clothing allowed here."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine." I said angrily, "Come on guys. We'll find somewhere else to dine. Somewhere better."

Chris, Evan, and I stormed out. We solicited outside for a few minutes before I asked, "What now?"

"We sneak in through the back door." Evan said triumphantly.

"What if we get caught?" I asked, "I mean, the back door leads to the kitchen, doesn't it?"

"Eh, oh well. We get caught, we get kicked out. We don't get caught... well, we'll get kicked out eventually. Why not take the chance and sneak in?" Evan asked.

"You're right." Chris said, "Let's go. Come on Kelly."

"I'm in. Anything to rid me of the burden that I may have an old woman as my new step mom and a prep as my step sister." I said.

Evan and Chris rolled their eyes. I'd told them the story of how I thought AJ might marry this woman. The told me I was crazy. No point in arguing that...

We walked around the restaurant to the back, being careful not to be seen by any passerby's. We got around to where the back door was and I saw someone outside dumping some trash. I held my hand out signaling Evan and Chris to stop. A few minutes later the guy walked back inside. I told them the coast was clear and we walked to the door.

Chris opened it slowly, slowly. Inside the kitchen it was bright and chefs, waiters, and busboys were bustling around. I hoped that we could get by. I doubted we would, though.

We stood hiding behind a wall. Evan handed us the apron things that all the waiters wore that were hanging there. "Okay, I'll go first," Evan told us, "If I don't get caught then Kelly will go. Then you'll go, Chris, okay? We'll meet at the bathrooms."

Chris and I both nodded. Ooh. It sounded like we were devising a plan to commit a heinous crime or something. Cool.

Evan went off. Chris and I both watched as he walked through, keeping his head low. The apron really did seem to work because no one noticed him. He got through.

"Okay, my turn." I told Chris, "This will be fun."

Chris smiled at me and I left. I took a different route than Evan did. I tried to make myself look taller. They would give me funny looks if I looked really short.

Someone stopped me. "Hey!" He said.

I sucked in my breath. Oh no! Caught! I looked up and saw a chef looking at me. "Yeah?" I asked shakily.

"What was it that table 7 wanted?" He asked me.

I let out a sigh of relief. I thought vigorously for a second before saying, "Uh, escargot and frogs legs." It was the first French food crap that came to my head, "Uh yeah, that's it."

"Are you sure?" The chef asked me.

I nodded. "Positive. They said they wanted to taste authentic French food." I told him.

"Okay... " He said slowly before going back to whatever he was making.

I jogged through the rest of the kitchen. I didn't want to be stopped again. How embarrassing! And I feel for the people at table 7...

When I got out of the kitchen, these people at one table called to me. "Over here! Can I get some more water?"

I ditched the apron and said, "I'm on a break." Great, now they were going to go after Chris when he came out.

I saw the sign for the restroom on the other side of the restaurant. I began to walk through but stopped abruptly when I saw that I would have to pass by AJ's table if I kept going the way I was. I looked around and tried to find another route. I didn't see one. Chris came up behind me.

"What are you doing?" He asked me.

I shushed him and pushed him behind a large plant. I hid there with him. If only we were to make out...

"We have to pass AJ's table if we want to get to the bathrooms." I whispered to him.

"Is there any other way to go?" Chris asked me.

I shook my head. "That's the only way."

Chris and I stood and wondered what to do for a few minutes until...

"Hey you kids! Get over here!"

We looked behind us and saw a chef, waiter, and the guy who refused to let us in coming at us.

"Come on!" Chris said. He took my hand and we ran through the restaurant. We weaved through tables and dodged waiters and busboys. I silently prayed when we got closer to AJ's table that he wouldn't recognize me.

Well it didn't work. "Kelly?" AJ asked when I passed by him.

Chris and I didn't stop. I turned my head for a second and said, "Hey AJ!" I almost collided with someone. I didn't get a good look at him or her. I just ran right by.

We got to the other end. There was nowhere else to run. And now not only were the first three people coming towards us, but so were AJ and the people we'd almost run over.

And boy were they angry.

Evan walked to us and asked what was going on. I pointed to everyone. His eyes got wide. "What are we gonna do?" He hissed at me.

I looked around. What were we going to do? I couldn't get in more trouble. I was already grounded AND suspended. Now was I going to get in trouble with the whole damn restaurant? I did the only thing I could think of to get me out of this:

Fainted.