- Text Size +
"So, how are you liking your first day here at La Mesa?" Jamie asked me when we started walking down the hall after class.

"I thought you weren't supposed to meet with me until lunch." I said.

"Oh, I know but I was thinking that I could show you to your next class... " Jamie said.

"I was just joking in there about Tiffany being my bitch. I mean, I'm straight. 100%." I said.

Jamie laughed. "So am I. I just thought I could get to know you. So we could be friends." She said.

That sort of took me by surprise. "Why would you want to be my friend?" I asked her.

"Because you seem cool. You're different. Everyone here are like clones of each other and it pisses me off. You're like a breath of fresh air to this school. What class do you have next?"

"Math with Ms. Johnson." I answered.

"Me too. Let's walk together."

"So I'm a breath of fresh air to the school? What about the guys like Evan Hillard?"

Jamie looked at me. "You know him?" She squeaked, "He's so freaking hot."

I laughed. "Yeah I know him. We're pretty cool. So you like him?" I asked.

Jamie nodded her head vigorously. "But please don't tell him. You're like the only person who knows."

I had a feeling that this Jamie didn't have a lot of friends. But that was okay. She was a weird one and everything, but I think I can get to know her. Hell, I've got to have someone to hang out with all year.

We got to Ms. Johnson's class on time. Good thing, too. She already hates me for distorting her daughters face. The last thing I need is for her to yell at me in front of the whole class about being late. Though it would be interesting...

"Ah, Kelly." She said when I got into her classroom, "I was wondering when I'd get you."

I took a seat in the back row with Jamie and said, "You get me right in the morning. You'd better come to school prepared with a bottle of Tylenol cuz you'll be facing a headache everyday for the next year."

Ms. Johnson sighed as the bell rang. She probably knew that I'd be giving her headaches. Damn bitch trying to lay my dad.

Jamie and I talked as she took roll, just like everyone else in the class was.

"You know her?" She asked, nodding towards Ms. Johnson.

"We've met." I said, "She went out on a date with my dad after I broke her daughters nose. My dad only went so she wouldn't sue us."

Jamie laughed. "Did they hit it off?" She asked.

"Hell no. Ms. Johnson is 10 years older than my dad." I told her.

"How old is your dad?" Jamie asked me.

I took my binder out of my backpack and said, "29."

"29... " Jamie said.

"Ms. Ryder, Ms. McLean," Ms. Johnson said, saying the wrong last name for me, "Class is in session. Please save your chitter chatter for after class."

I laughed. Chitter chatter. How gay. But I focused my attention on what Ms. Johnson was teaching.

It was all so old! Things that I'd learned in the 7th grade. I sat through the class knowing everything that she was going to say. I must have yawned a million times! Jamie noticed and began to giggle.

**************

Jamie and I had most of our classes together we found out at lunch. We sat under a tree with some more of her friends and they asked me questions.

"So," One girl named Jena who had short blonde hair and blue eyes asked, "How was Nevada?"

"Hot, dry, cool as crap." I answered, "I lived in Vegas so there was always something to do."

"Wow." Another girl, Kayla who had longish, wavy light brown hair and brown eyes, said, "Las Vegas. I've always wanted to live there. But my mom said it's not a place for families."

I shrugged. "It kind of is. I lived there with my mom since I was two."

"So why did you move here?" A guy named Chad, Kayla's twin brother who looked just like her only a lot skinnier and had glasses, asked me.

"My mom lost her job so I have to live with my dad." I answered.

"Her dad's only 29." Jamie informed everyone.

Thank you, Jamie...

"29. Jeez, that's young! Since you're 13... he was only 16 when you were born!" Kayla said.

Great math.

"Yeah." I said.

Jena whispered something to Kayla and Kayla nodded. I wondered what they were saying.

"Uh... " Jena began, "There was this rumor going around last week that, um, AJ McLean is your like, dad, and we were just wondering if it was, you know, true."

Great. The ever popular, 'Is your daddy the tattooed guy from Backstreet Boys?' question. Lucky, lucky me.

I shook my head. "No." I lied, "That's just a rumor. They saw me at his house one day and their tiny brains came up with the conclusion that he's my dad. Retarded, huh?"

All four of them laughed. "Yeah," Jena said.

A few minutes later Daniel, the guy I'd sat next to on the famous first day of school, ran over to the tree that I was sitting under with Jamie, Jena, Chad, and Kayla. They all looked at each other and then to him. Like he was God or something.

"Hey," He said coolly.

Though I guess he might as well be to these people. He's popular, nice, and damn sexy...

"Hey." I repeated.

"How are you all doing?" He asked.

The four of them just shrugged. I spoke up by saying, "We're all cool. What bout you?" I had to squint to see him in the sunlight.

"Good, good." Daniel said, "I just saw you, Kelly, and decided to say hey."

"Okay, well, you did." I said. What? He did.

"Yeah, so I'll talk to you later. Maybe on the bus." Daniel said.

"Only if there are no more empty seats." I said with a smile.

Daniel smiled slyly at me and said, "I'll make sure there aren't."

Am I popular here or what?