- Text Size +
"Okay, you hit the end of the spoon and watch it fly off." I told Natalie one day at breakfast.

Yeah, she's here. For the next week. They're painting her house or something, so she had to leave her house for a while. AJ said that she could stay here with us. I said she could get a hotel room.

Of course, my opinion was not welcome.

"What if the spoon falls on the floor?" Natalie asked me.

"It doesn't matter." I told her, "Now the key is to aim. Allow me to demonstrate."

I placed my spoon on the edge of the table and placed a piece of cereal onto it. Then I positioned it so it was facing AJ, who was standing at the counter making coffee. I smiled at Natalie and then hit the end of the spoon and the cereal went flying and hit AJ right in the head.

Natalie began to laugh. AJ turned to face us and she covered her mouth, trying to suppress it. I smiled at a job well done.

"Ha ha." AJ said.

"Sorry... " I said.

Natalie stopped giggling and uncovered her mouth. She smiled at AJ as he made her a cup of coffee. When he handed it to her, she said, "Thanks."

AJ kissed her and then said, "I'll get you more later if you keep this girl from throwing stuff at me."

"You two are sick. Sick, sick, sick." I told them.

AJ smiled and said, "I know... "

I rolled my eyes just as the phone rang. AJ went to go answer it. "Hello?... Yeah, this is him... Oh, um," AJ glanced at Natalie and I and began to walk towards the living room. The last thing I heard him say was, "Well, what happened?"

I shrugged and then went back to eating my cereal. Once I finished my bowl, I went back to get some more. As I poured the cereal into the bowl, AJ came back in and hung up the phone.

"Kelly, can you come talk to me in the living room for a few minutes?" AJ asked me.

"Hang on," I said, pouring milk, "Just lemme finish this."

AJ cleared his throat. "I think that you should come now."

I sighed and set my bowl on the table. I followed AJ into the living room. "What is it?" I asked him, sitting down on the couch.

AJ cleared his throat again. He sat down on the couch next to me and tapped his hands on his leg. He kept looking at me and opening his mouth, and then closing it, like he couldn't talk.

"What is it, AJ? I mean, '?ve got to eat still and then get to the bus." I said, "So spit it out already!"

"It's about your mom." He told me quietly, his voice shaking slightly.

I sighed and slumped down into the couch. "Let me guess, something came up and she can't make it?" I shrugged. "I'll get over it."

I started to get up, but AJ pulled me back down. "That's not it, Kelly." He said, "She was in an accident on the way to the airport." He took a deep breath. "And she didn't make it."