- Text Size +
"You mean she didn't make it to the airport, right? That was her who called, wasn't it?" I asked.

"No, I mean that she... she's gone." AJ said.

"Gone where?" I asked stupidly. But I knew exactly where.

"Gone, Kel. Gone." AJ said. He obviously didn't know how to tell me this.

"What happened to her?" I asked him.

"I'm not really sure. All I know is that she died at the hospital." AJ told me.

"No!" I screamed, "You're joking me! You're playing some sort of a sick joke on me! You and my mom! Well it's not funny!"

I ran out of the living room and almost collided with Natalie. "What's wrong, Kelly?" She asked me. I didn't answer her. I just pushed past her. Tears blurred my vision as I ran up the stairs. I didn't get very far before AJ came up behind me and held onto me.

"Kelly, sit down." He demanded me. But not in a harsh way. More like a pleading way.

I sat down on the step and pulled my legs up to my chest and buried my head in them. AJ had his arms around me and he said, "I'm so sorry."

"It's all my fault." I said in-between sobs.

"No it isn't, Kelly. Why would you say that?" AJ asked me.

"Because if I hadn?t asked her to come this never would have happened." I told him.

"That has nothing to do with it." AJ said.

I looked up. "Why was she even coming today?" I asked him, "She's not supposed to be coming here until next week." It was two days before my birthday, and she wasn't even supposed to be coming until afterwards.

"She wanted to surprise you and show up on your birthday." AJ said.

"So it IS my fault!" I wailed, "Because if I hadn't have wanted her to come then she wouldn't have and then she wouldn't have come earlier and she wouldn't have gotten hurt or whatever and she wouldn't have... "

"Kelly," AJ whispered to me, "It's not your fault. Stop blaming yourself."

"I can't." I told him, "Why did this have to happen?"

"I don't know," AJ said, "But it's going to be okay. You'll get through this."

"No I won't." I insisted, standing up on the stairs, "My mom has been the only person who's really cared about me my entire life. And now she's gone. Now all I have is you."

I ran to my room. I heard AJ sigh behind me. I wonder if he even cared about what happened to my mom. Probably not. He had a new damn woman in his life and he didn't have to care about her anymore.