- Text Size +
AJ arrived about half an hour later. And he brought Jared and Christa with him.

"What's he doing here?" I asked AJ rudely when we got to his car.

"He was helping me find you. I don't know where anything is around here." AJ answered me.

"You didn't have to run off like that you know." Jared said to me from the backseat when AJ finally forced me into the car.

"And you didn't have to piss me off." I said.

"I wasn't trying to piss you off." Jared told me.

"And I didn't try to get lost. We're even now." I said, "Can we, oh I don't know...drive?"

When we were driving down the street, Jared said, "If I had known why you were acting the way you were, then I would have understood. I felt so stupid after AJ told me about your mom. Which I'm really sorry about, by the way."

"Sure you are." I muttered.

"I am." Jared insisted, "Now you're never gonna come back."

"You should be happy about that, J," I said, "See, now you can date all the sluts in the school."

"I'm not a slut!" Christa exclaimed.

I turned around in my seat to face her. "Oh give it up. Everyone knows about you." I said.

"Stop fighting. Jesus, the girlfriend and the best friend thing just will not work out... " Jared said.

"What happened to 'former best friend'?" I asked.

"I was just mad. You're still my best friend, Kelly. You just got to learn to be nicer to my girlfriends. Whether they be Christa or Britney Spears." Jared told me.

"Ooh... that's a tough one... Not being your friend or tolerating Christa?" I thought for a moment and then said, "You know, I have met a lot of people in Florida who could take your place in a second... "

"Chris." AJ said with a laugh.

"Shut your mouth." I said to him.

"Who's Chris?" Jared asked.

"I'm just saying his name, Kel. Jesus Christ." AJ said.

"Who's Chris?" Jared repeated, but I ignored him.

"Well no one here needs to know about Chris, okay?" I said, "Mind your business."

"Who the hell is Chris?!?!" Jared yelled, "Tell me before I go crazy!"

"Her boyfriend," AJ said, at the same time I said, "A friend."

"Your boyfriend?" Jared asked, "You have a boyfriend that you didn't even bother to tell me about, and your getting mad at me for going out on a few uneventful dates with Christa? I mean, I haven't even gotten her shirt off yet!"

"Hey!" Christa yelled, "Just because I want to save myself, unlike Kelly, is no reason for you to say that. It's just a matter of time until you see them!"

"Gross!" I yelled, "Okay, look, I am one-hundred percent virgin. I haven't taken my shirt, or pants for that matter, off for ANYONE! Unlike you, Miss Easy."

"That's enough!" AJ yelled, "The screaming and fighting will stop now. Unless you want me to kick Jared and Christa out of the car and let them find their own ways home."

"Go ahead," I said, "I don't care."

But Jared and Christa obviously did, because they were quiet the rest of the ride. We dropped off Christa at her house, and then drove for another 10 minutes to Jared;s apartment.

"When are you leaving?" Jared asked me before he got out of the car.

"Next week." I answered him.

"Oh, maybe we can hang out or something. Call me." He said.

"Don't count on it." I said with a traitorous smile.