- Text Size +
"You ready to go?" AJ asked me the next day. It was right before my moms funeral.

"Yeah, I'm ready." I said.

"Good, let's go." AJ said, "I bet you can't wait to meet your grandparents, huh?"

"Oh yeah, it's gonna be the highlight of my freakin' life." I said sarcastically.

AJ and I left, got onto the elevator, and then left the hotel to head to his car.

"It's too bright." I heeded.

"Yes. It is. Very bright. That's usually what happens in the daytime." AJ told me.

I rolled my eyes. "That's not what I meant you retard. I know it gets bright during the day. I'm just saying that when there is a funeral, it's supposed to be dark and rainy and gloomy." I said.

"If that were the case, then it would be dark and cold and rainy everyday." AJ reminded me.

"If only that were the way it was...Then world life would be complete." I said.

After I said that, we just got into AJ's car and drove away. Buh bye hotel!

"So, who all's gonna be there?" I asked AJ.

"Uh...you, me, Nick, Brian, Howie, Kevin, your grandparents, Casey and your Uncle David.Oh yeah, and that Jonathan." AJ told me, "A few other people, too...I just don't know who they are."

"So my mama knew the Backstreet Boys? I pity her." I said.

"Yeah," AJ said, ignoring my little joke, "They were all friends. Damn, for a while I thought you were Kevin's kid."

"Whaaa??" I asked, "That's nasty..."

"I know. They were just really close." AJ said.

"I can't look at that man the same way anymore." I said, "Actually, I don't look at him at all anyway."

AJ laughed. "Ha ha ha. Whoo, Kevin being your dad. That'd be disgusting."

*********

I have come to the inevitable conclusion that funerals are boring. And a load of friggin crap. My grandparents gave this little speech or something, and everything they said about my mom was a load of shit. Maybe it was true back when she was FIVE, but after that it was a lie.They were all like, "Allison was a wonderful woman. She was bright and the best daughter we could ever ask for."

Okay, yeah, they kinda disowned her. And they went into something about how "she followed all of their rules". Was having a kid at the age of 16 one of the rules? How interesting...

Afterwards, since AJ and I arrived late (heh heh), I had to meet everyone. Yuck. Well, they all pissed me off. My grandparents were all amazed or something about how much I looked like my mom, and my Uncle David tried to be funny (but he wasn't), and he seemed to hate AJ more than anyone in the world. It was funny, actually.

I stuck close to AJ the whole time. At one point, my grandma was freaking me out so much I grabbed his arm and hid behind him. Come on, Daddy! Kill the old woman!

Did I mention that they hate him, also? They seemed to think that he wasn't a good parent and were interrogating him. Where does Kelly go to school? Is she happy there? Is she hanging out with the "right crowd"?

And then my absolute favorite part of the evening came! We got to meet Jonathan! Wee! Wow I hated him so much. So did AJ. When the two of them met each other, it was quite interesting. AJ just kinda stood the glaring at him as he talked to the both of us. And every time Jonathan asked AJ a question, he answered in monosyllables. When Jonathan asked me crap, I'd answer in such long sentences that he'd have to stop me.

Then the funniest, best, most freaking awesome part of the day happened...AJ suddenly said, right when Jonathan was in the middle of a story, in front of me, my uncle, and my grandfather, "I wanna kill you so much right now."

I laughed, my uncle stared, jaw dropped, and my grandfather said, "Hold your tongue, young man."

"You want to kill me? What'd I do to you?" Jonathan asked.

"It's what you did to everyone here. This was all your fault. If you hadn't decided to be so fuckin stupid then this wouldn't have happened!"

"Damn straight!" I said.

"Shut up, little girl. Leave this between you and your dad here." Jonathan said to me.

I was so appalled at this guy saying this to me, that I didn?t even pay attention to the rest of AJ and Jonathan's conversation. All I knew was that they were yelling. I started paying attention when they began to throw punches.

"Yeah!" I yelled, "Go AJ!"

My uncle was trying to get AJ off of Jonathan, and my grandpa was yelling things. Telling them to get off each other.

"Come on, David," I said to my uncle, "Let em fight!"

Everyone was crowding around now. I decided that I should try and get Uncle David off of AJ. I WANTED SOME ACTION, DAMMIT!

"David! Get the hell off of him! You gotta see this! AJ is kicking his ass!" I said.

Jonathan, who was obviously a very angry man, yelled, "You little bitch!" To me, and then pushed AJ down and started going after me! ME! The perfect little precious angelic girl!

Luckily, someone came and friggin punched him out before he got too close to me.

When he was down on the ground, I looked down at him and said, "Who's the beeyatch now?" I was prepared to kick him, but AJ grabbed me around my waist and pulled me away from him.

"That's enough, Kel. Come on." AJ said. I looked at him and saw that he has a fat lip and a bloody nose. Cool. My dad looks like a mutant.

"Please, AJ? Just one good kick!" I begged.

"No." AJ said, "We're leaving now."

As AJ was pulling me away, I said, "Good job, AJ. You fuckin almost killed him. Too bad you didn't."

"Yeah, well I didn't get away without any battle wounds." AJ reminded me.

"But yours aren't as bad as his." I said, "You were kicking his ass!"

AJ smiled. "Well yeah. But you shouldn't have gotten in the middle of it." He told me, "If Nick hadn't come along and punched him, you could have gotten hurt."

"I know." I said, "But I got caught up in the heat of the moment. I mean, can you blame me? He did kill my mom."

"I know."

"And for that he must die."

"I agree wholeheartedly."