- Text Size +
A few minutes later Nick came around looking vaguely harassed. "Anyone care to tell me what exactly was going on back there?" He asked as he fixed his jacket, "I got in the middle of it without knowing what was happening. Who the hell was that guy anyway?"

"Oh, that was Jonathan. The momma killer." I told him.

"Yeah, thanks for keeping him off of this one," AJ told Nick, wiping the excess blood from his nose on his coat, "This one doesn't know how to keep her mouth shut sometimes."

I nodded in agreement. "And it seems as though father dearest is a little quick with his fists. That could get you into trouble on day. You'd better watch it."

Nick rolled his eyes and said, "Well, Jonathan left yelling that he was going to press charges."

"Shit...this is the second time in a year that this has happened. Kelly, you're like a lawsuit magnet." AJ told me.

"I did not have anything to do with this one...Yes, the last one was all my fault, I am mature enough to admit. But this one was your doing." I told him.

"You know, she's right," Nick agreed, "You did kind of jump on him. I don't know for what, but still."

"I jumped him because...Well, he killed Allison and...he started to insult my little girl. My parental instincts got in the way of my common sense," I threw him a funny look at that one. He's one strange, strange man, "And I started throwing punches with every intention to beat him until he was dead. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get away without some injuries."

"If it's any consolation he looked a lot worse than you." Nick said.

I saw a slight smile cross AJ's face at that. I could tell he was proud that he gave this guy the beating of a lifetime. But the smiled faded almost as quickly as it had come and he whined, "I'm gonna get sued now...This sucks!"

I giggled and said, "You are so screwed. This guy looks like a gold digger. He's gonna sue you for all you got!"

"You're going to end up living in poverty, then. Are you okay with that?"

"Hell, I did for 11 years. I think I can handle it. Besides, you've got rich friends." I reminded him, looking over at Nick.

"Uh, I have a kid. That's all I need to take care of for a while." Nick informed me.

I pouted. "You wouldn't take in a poor friends child?" I asked him, "That's kind of mean..."

Nick shrugged. "Maybe if you're nice to me I'll let you live with me for a few minutes until the men in the white coats come and take you away."

I smiled and said, "Okay! They're really nice..."

AJ rolled his eyes and grabbed my arm. "We should leave. Get far, far away from this place. Someone is gonna kill us."

"You." I reminded him, "Someone is going to kill you. Not me. I didn't do anything."

"You angered the psycho. You're going to get killed, too." AJ said. He waved good-bye to Nick who was backing away from us. We must scare him.

"But you'd protect me, right?" I asked AJ as we walked towards his car.

"No."

"How mean...Why don't you just throw me out on the streets. Since you obviously *don't* care."

AJ took his car keys out of his pocket and answered me. "Because then I would have to go to jail or parenting classes, and I don't have time for that, mmkay?"

"You don't have time for anything, yet you do nothing," I said thoughtfully, "That's just weird."

"I do plenty," AJ insisted, "I buy food..."

"From McDonalds."

"I...uh...pick you up from school when you get suspended."

"Which is all basically your fault if you really think about it."

"I pick you up when you run away from home."

"And I run away from home why...? Because I don't like Florida. It's too hot."

"It's just as hot as it is here," AJ told me. Then he continued, "I look for you when you get lost in your *hometown*."

"Because you kept me from here for so long." I said, "Anything else?"

AJ sighed as we reached his car. "Nope, nothing else." He said sadly, unlocking the doors.

"Loser..."

"I can't have a life anymore," AJ told me, "I always end up having to get you from somewhere."

When we got into the car I said, "You have Natalie. Just do her and you'll feel like there's something to live for."

AJ hit my arm and said, "God, don't talk about that."

"I know...it's gross, huh? I just thought about my daddy doing somebody," I shuddered, "Please, oh please send me to therapy."