- Text Size +
I woke up later that night. When I looked at my watch it read 3:38. I usually never wake up in the middle of the night. I knew it was because I wasn't used to it here. It was too quiet... I pulled the covers off of me and sat up on my bed in the dark.

Wait...Dark? Covers? When I'd fallen asleep my light was still on and I had fallen asleep after just laying there. AJ must have come in. Either that or I was sleep walking and went to turn off my lights and got under the blankets. But that was unlikely.

That got me thinking.........Why the hell would AJ come in my room when I specifically told him to go away? Eh, oh well. At least I didn't freeze like I am now.

I got back under the pink blanket (*shakes head* Pinkness...) and tried to sleep again. But I couldn't. It was too weird here! My room was too big, my bed was too squishy. Nothing was right. Normally I'd love to have this kind of room, but under these circumstances I hated it. I hated this whole house!

But that was just the beginning...

A few minutes later the doorbell rang. My first thought was, hell no! Who comes over at three in the morning? I heard a door open next to mine and footsteps go down the hall. I listened to hear who it was. Maybe my mom was coming to pick me up! Yeah right. Well it was a female voice. I tried to listen but I couldn't make out what they were saying.

Well, being the sneaky little...you know I am, I got out of bed and walked to the door. I opened it slightly and I stood in front of it. I could hear them a lot better now.

"Melanie, you can't be here now." AJ said.

Melanie? Who is Melanie? I don't know any Melanie. Well of course I don't know her. I don't know anybody here.

"AJ, I miss you and I'm sorry." The Melanie chick said, "Please, take me back..."

"Look, you left me. And it hurt. I'm not going to take you back..." AJ said,

Ooh...drama. It's like a soap opera!

"I'm sorry I hurt you. I was just going through a hard time then." Melanie said as her excuse. "Can't you just forgive me and get past it?"

"We were married! I can't just get over that!" AJ said.

Whoa...married? Okay, why did I not know this? Why was it not in the news or some teenybopper magazine? Oh yeah...I don't watch the news or read teenybopper magazines.

"Look, I don't have any time for this right now. I'm tired. It's been a busy day and I need to get some sleep." AJ told her, "Come over in a few days."

Melanie didn't say anything unless she whispered it. But I heard the front door close a few seconds later and AJ start coming back up the stairs. Okay, I admit it: I panicked. I tried to run back to my bed, but I ran into the dresser, making it shake. So I had no time to close the door. 'Fuck it,' I thought. I gotta get back in my bed! So I ran to the bed and jumped into it, throwing the covers back over me. Right in time!

I put my head down in the pillow as soon as AJ came in and pushed my door open.

"I know you're awake." He said, not bothering to be quiet.

I didn't answer. I am asleep. I am sleeping. I am lost in dreamland. Eyes shut, mind off, breathing even...Does he think I woke up just to spy on him? Hee hee hee. Shows how much he knows. Which is obviously a lot...

"Come on, Kelly. You woke up, you listened to everything...And when it was over you ran into, I don't know, something. Whatever it was, you made a helluva lot of noise with it." AJ said.

Crap...he heard it. That screws me over. But I'm sleeping so I have a cover. Ah...the world works in scary ways sometimes.

For a while AJ didn't say anything. I thought maybe he was gone. But I didn't take the chance and open my eyes. He was probably doing it on purpose so he could catch me. But jeez, it's not like I was convicted of a crime or anything. All I did was listen in on his conversation. And find out a few things...

"Fine," He finally said, "I'll leave. But I still know you're awake. And that you're going to torture me with the fact that I can't keep a woman forever."

No I wasn't, but good idea. AJ left my room and closed the door behind him. Poor guy...He really can't keep a woman. His wife left him, and he screwed up with my mom by leaving her. I yawned and turned over. But just because I felt sorry for him does not mean I'm going to be nice.