- Text Size +
After I'd showered, dried my hair, brushed my teeth, and prettied myself up (Right...trust me people, IT DON'T WORK WITH ME!) I went to, of course, the bedroom. No way was I going downstairs. AJ was pissed at me. I could tell. As I was walking back and forth from the bathroom to bedroom to get my makeup I passed him. And he didn't say a word to me. Didn't even look at me. God, what did I do to him?

I took my CD player out of my bag and pulled out my CD's. I put the headphones on and put my Good Charlotte CD in. I turned up the volume really loud and sat at my desk. A desk. Why the hell is there a desk in here? What, does he really expect me to do homework once school starts again? Not that I'm going to be here then. I'm leaving no matter what.

About twenty minutes later AJ must have come into my room, but I didn't hear him calling my name. Until he tapped me on the shoulder and I saw he was in there. I took the headphones off. "What?" I asked, mad because it had been right in the middle of my favorite song.

Nerves returning, AJ answered, "Uh, I wanted to know if you were hungry since, you know, you haven't eaten anything since yesterday."

"Yeah, I know. And I'm not hungry." I told him.

"Oh, okay." AJ said, "Well, I'm gonna go get something real quick. I'll be back in a few minutes."

I turned away and put the headphones back on. Go away, get food, crash on your way back...see if I care. That got me thinking...would I care? If he got hurt or something? I don't think I would be really upset. Unless he died or something. But he never cared when I got hurt or sick. I was in the hospital for three weeks when I was ten and he never came to make sure I was okay. He wouldn't even talk to me when my mom called him. His excuse was that he didn't want to put his career, or the careers of the other guys in the group, in jeopardy. Just like his excuse was every other time he was needed. But how can he put it in jeopardy by just talking on the phone.

I swear to God he's paranoid.

All that in mind, I do have a right to hate him. I actually have the right to push him off a tall building. Whenever I get onto a tall building with him I will remember to.

I turned off my CD player and decided it was time to give myself the grand tour of the way too freaking big house. I first inspected the second floor. I had already seen the bathroom, and I knew that the other two were more or less exactly the same. The next room was AJ's bedroom. I stood in front of the door and pondered for about a second whether or not to go inside. Of course I'm going in! I always do things people say isn't nice.

AJ's room was huge. A million times bigger than my mothers room. Almost as big as the apartment we lived in. He has a huge bed, too. Which I am not going to touch. I have no idea what goes on in that thing. I went to his dresser. It was one of those really long ones with a bunch of drawers. Well, the top of it had a lot of hair stuff on it. More than I have! I looked underneath some of it and saw a few pictures. I picked them up and looked through them all. I didn't recognize the person in them. Probably that Melanie woman. I wanna meet her...

I put them down, but not in the place that I found them or anything. I just threw them on top of some paper and decided to go through his drawers. I opened the first one. Eew, underwear. I opened the second and third ones...underwear. How many pairs of boxers does one guy need? I closed them and decided to just go to the bottom drawers. I sat down on the floor and began my search. Whoo! In the first few was a bunch of stuff I didn't really care about. Nothing I hadn't seen before. In the last drawer were papers, photo albums, and then some random pictures. Perfect...

I pulled the papers out. I was surprised to see they were mostly letter. Letters to me! What the...Why would he write me letters and never send them? There must have been more than twenty letters here. And they all mostly said the same thing: he loved me, he missed me, and he wanted to see me. He probably never sent them because he knew everything he wrote were lies.

I threw the letters aside and took out one of the photo albums. It was big and heavy and when I turned it around to the front cover it read 'Kelly Ann McLean 10/26/95'. Ooh, look, it's my baby book! Wee! But my name has no McLean in it anywhere. Kelly McLean...nope, sounds wrong. I opened the book and another paper came fluttering out. I picked it up. It was my birth certificate. I looked at the name. Kelly Ann McLean...My mom had changed my name. And I didn't know it because she didn't have my birth certificate. She didn't have any baby book...Why is it turning out that AJ has all of my important things?

I heard the front door open downstairs and panicked. I threw everything in the drawer and closed it. Then I raced out of his room and down the hall to mine. Whew! Safe! I sat on the bed and made it look like I'd just been sitting there.

AJ came in a few minutes later with a McDonalds bag in his hand. "I got you something in case you get hungry."

"Oh, well I'm not." I told him. It was a lie. I was starving! I just didn't want to eat.

"Okay, I'll put it downstairs if you do get hungry." AJ said.

I nodded. AJ stood there. I raised my eyebrows at him. Why is he just standing there? "Oh, sorry. I'll leave you alone." He left my room. He kept my door opened slightly. I rolled my eyes and got off my bed to shut it the rest of the way.

For a while I couldn't think of anything to do. Then I decided to do what I was going to do earlier: call Jared. I went back to the cordless phone and picked it up. Then I went back to my bed and dialed Jared's number. One ring...two...three...four...

"Yeah?" Caleb answered.

"Caleb, is Jared there?" I asked.

"Hey Kel. Yeah, he's right here." Caleb said, "Jared, it's Kelly." I heard him say.

A few seconds later Jared's voice came on the line. "Hey Kel, what's up?" He asked.

"Nothing. Just sitting around being bored." I answered him.

"Aww...poor Kelly. Well I'm bored, too." Jared said, "Why'd you have to leave me? Why?" Jared was now fake crying.

I laughed. "You can be so stupid sometimes, you know that?" I told him.

"Special talent." He answered.

As I was laughing, my door was pushed open. AJ walked in looking angry.

"I gotta go, Jared. I'll call you back later." I said. I hung up the phone and looked at AJ. "What?" I asked.

"Were you going through my drawers?" He asked.

I looked at him like he was crazy. "What? Why the hell would I want to go through your stuff?"

"How the hell did this get out of it?" He held up the letters that I'd been looking at.

Shoot! I'd forgotten to put those away! I'm screwed now! Play it off, Kel, you can do it. If you can do it with the cops you can definitely can with a guy who gets nervous around you.

I shrugged. "I don't know. Damn, what makes you think it was me?" I asked.

"You were the only one who was here!" AJ yelled.

I laughed. "It was not me! You probably got drunk or whatever it is you washed up Backstreet Boys do nowadays and started throwing shit outta your own drawers!"

"God, Kelly! I don't know what to do with you!" AJ yelled, "Your mother told me you'd probably be trouble but...shit! You've been nothing but a bitch since you got here! I've been trying to do my best with you the short time you've been here, trying to make you feel at home and you've just brushed me off! I don't know what the hell I did to make you hate me so much, and all day I have been trying to think of a reason and I can't think of anything!"

That stupid fuck called me a bitch! Well...it is true. I am THE bitch!

"Think back maybe 11 years ago! I'll leave and give you some time to 'rack your brain' for that hard information." I stood up and walked out of the door, having to push past him.

"Where are you going?" AJ asked.

"To knock over a liquor store." I muttered.

"What?"

"Just go to hell!"

I ran down the stairs. Behind me I heard the faint sound of papers fluttering and then a door slam closed. So I opened the front door and slammed it closed behind me.

Where am I supposed to go? This place has nowhere close! I hope they have a bus stop somewhere.