- Text Size +
I got back really late that night. After the skatepark closed at 8pm, we went to Jordan's house. We played video games for a while and hung out in his backyard next to his pool. It was alomst one in the morning by the time we all left.

I stood in front of the house, afraid to go in. There was a light on in the living room. I hoped he wasn't up waiting for me. Well, the only way to find out is to go inside.

AJ left the door unlocked that night. I opened it slowly and slipped inside, closing it quietly behind me. I could hear the TV on. I walked slowly and quietly past the living room and peered inside. The light and the TV were both on, but AJ was asleep on the couch. Thank you God.

I got to my room and closed the door. I changed my clothes and turned off the light. I wasn't about to risk going to the bathroom to brush my teeth, so I just crawled into bed.

I'd made it. Snuck back in without getting caught! When I was with Mom I never got away with it. She always stayed up and waited for me. Good thing AJ fell asleep while he was watching TV!

But I didn't want to think of what would happen tomorrow. I'd left when we were mad at each other, and hadn't spoked to him since then. He was bound to still be mad at me.

I didn't want to think about it too much. I was way too tired. I closed my eyes and fell asleep a few minutes later.
***************
For some reason I woke up early the next morning. At nine! I got out of bed and started to leave my room when I saw a piece of paper taped onto my door.

Kelly,
I went out. I'll be back in a few hours. If you need me, just call my cell. The number is downstairs next to the phone. Don't leave the house today.
Love,
AJ

I crumped up the paper and threw it in the trash can. Then I walked outside into the hallway. The papers AJ had thrown were still on the ground. The man needs a maid. I sighed and began to pick the papers up. I put them in a pile and placed them next to a wall.

Since AJ wouldn't be back for a while, I decided to go back to his room and look at his stuff some more. Well, my stuff that he's been keeping. Why did he get all of those things when he wasn't even going to be around? He should have given it to my mom before he left.

His door was open already so I just walked inside. I went straight to the bottom drawer. I opened it up and saw that AJ had emptied it. All that was inside was the pile of pictures. I picked them up though I doubted I would know anybody in them. He probably took everything out that had to do with me. He hated me now too. Hmph...darn.

I did notice a few people in the pictures. There were the Backstreet Boys together looking stupid. I sighed. The world knows that my father is an idiot. The only other person I recognized was my mom. Yeah, he had some pictures of her, but they were from a while back. Before I was even born it looked like. How did I know? They actually looked happy together.

I saw no one else that I knew so I put the pictures back. After I closed the drawer again, I looked around the room. The other stuff had to be in there somewhere. I walked around ad lookd for a few minutes until I spotted them on his bed. His bed? What is it doing there? Was he looking at them?

I sat cautiously on the edge of his bed and picked up the pictures. I figured they were of me when I was a baby. I flipped it over and it had writing on it: Kelly, 3/5/96. I was about four or five months old. Jeez, I was an UGLY baby! I was freaking fat! Not a lot has changed since then except I'm not fat anymore. I should burn these.

After I finsished looking at all the pictures (all of me, most with me and AJ, just a few with me and my mom.), I picked up the baby book. I opened to the first page and there was this picture of me the day I was born or something.

"Holy crap!" I yelled, "How could he keep this?"

I wanted to rip it up. How embarrassing! I was so ugly! I flipped through the pages and they had all the normal crap that baby books have: first hospital visit, first word (mine was fuck...aaaw!), and all that stuff. And the pages started to go by dates where they'd write what happened that day. They wrote in it most of the time (That's what you call "way too into your kids." Seek professional help.), and the handwriting would change once in a while. The dates went to about the age of three, but mined didn't get filled up that far. But then on October 24 1997, two days before my second birthday, it stopped. That must have been when the jackass left. TWO DAYS BEFORE MY BIRTHDAY!

"Kelly?"

I looked up and saw AJ standing in the doorway. I closed the book and stood up. I hadn't even heard him come back.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have been going thorugh your stuff." I muttered. I wasn't really sorry. I had a right to be able to see these things.

"No, it's okay. I had an idea you'd come back in here." AJ said, putting his keys down on his dresser and taking off his sunglasses.

"Is that why you took everything out? So I wouldn't see them?" I asked.

"Um...no. No." AJ shook his head, "I was looking at them."

"Oh, okay." I said, "Why?"

AJ shrugged. "Just wanted to."

"Okay," I said, "I'll go now."

AJ nodded and I walked across the room, squeezing past him to get out of the door.

"Wait, Kel, come back here." AJ said when I'd gotten halfway to my room.

"What?" I asked.

"I need to talk to you about last night," He said.

Caught! "What is it?" I asked.

"Come on in here." AJ said, nodding towards his room.

I walked to the room and followed him inside. "What about it?" I asked, "I know that I told you to go to hell-which you didn't-and I came back late. What else?"

AJ told me to sit down on his bed and he sat next to me. "I wanted to tell you I was sorry. I know you hate it here, and you hate me, but I have been trying my best with you." He said.

"I know you have." I agreed.

"And you have to understand," AJ continued, "That this is difficult for me, too. I haven't seen you in a long time, and I didn't think I was going to."

"Why not?" I asked suspiciously.

"I never thought that you rmom would want you to see me again. After she left back-"

"Wait, hand on a second," I interrupted him, "Don't you mean back when YOU left?"

AJ looked confused. "When I left? I didn't leave. I stayed her and your mom took you and rann off. I didn't hear from her until about two years later." He explained.

"You're lying." I said, standing up, "My mom told me that you left and moved here because you didn't want to have anything to do with me."

"No, Kel she was-"

"Shut up!" I yelled, backing away from him, "Just shut up! My mom would never do that! You left because you hated us and now you're trying to lie about it!"

"Kelly, I never hated you! I love you both." AJ said.

"Well I don't give a shit if you love me! Because I hate you and nothing you do and no matter how many lies you feed me will change that!" I ran out of his room and down the hall. Why did he have to go and tell me lies like that? Did he think it was helping? Because it wasn't!