- Text Size +
Perfection-Chapter 1

”Thatīs it, Move your body. Yes.. one, two, three, spiiiinnn!” Fatima Robinson, dance instructor for the Backstreet Boys yelled as they were practicing moves for their upcoming American/Canadian tour “Backstreet's Back.”

They had been practicing for the last three hours almost non stop and things were starting to take itīs toll on their body. Nick Carter, who would turn 18 next month and the youngest in the group was doing his best to keep up with the rest of the guys. His joints were sore from dancing and sweat poured down his back.

“Canīt we take a break?” he panted as he bent down, hands on his knees. The rest of the boys said nothing, but they looked as worn out as Nick felt.

“No,” Fatima shook her head, “We have to get this move straight..come on, one more time!” She was pressing the boys until there was a taste of blood in the back of their throats. Nick groaned once more and he did his best to make the spin.

What he didnīt calculate was that he had to take an extra step and as he turned around he felt his world go 180 degrees. “Whoaaaa!!” Before he knew it he fell. Flat on his butt.

“Clutz,” AJ laughed and the rest of the boys as well as Fatima followed in to the laughter. Not wanting to make a fool of himself Nick grinned too.

“When will you ever set this straight?” Kevin asked impatiently, “I donīt wanna spend the whole christmas working on this!”

The dark haired man was upset that they had to spend the better part of the holiday rehearsing when they could be at home with their families, celebrating instead. They were going to kick off the tour over the New Year in Montreal. This descision had Kevin a bit upset since he had looked forward to be spending New years Eve with his girlfriend Kristin and now would have to spend it with the guys instead. The feeling was mutual in the group. But what could they do? Management called all the shots.

“I canīt do this,” Nick muttered where he sat on the floor. “I need a break.”

“Donīt we all?” Howie sighed. He was not a happy fellow either since he wouldnīt be allowed to spend the holiday with his family and his mom that he loved and admired over everything else. Brian said nothing and instead offered Nick his hand. Taking it gratefully Nick reached out for it, but as Brian pulled him up he said, ”Jeeze Nick, youīre getting heavy.”

The words hit him like cold water had rinsed all over him. He knew that he wasnīt as slim as he had been when he was a scrawny teenager, although not fat, yet it hurt when someone commented on his weight. There was some laughter coming form the group and Nick did his best to laugh it off. Glancing at Brian he saw that he was on the brim of exhaustion and he didnīt add any further fuel to the conversation. Brian had been working very hard, like the rest of him, but he had also been recently to the doctor where they had given him the news that he had to have open heart surgery due to a hole that they had found in his heart.

Nick knew that this frightened his friend dearly and he was not as happy as he used to be. More sullen and in his own thoughts.

Once Nick got on his feet he brushed his sweatpants off saying, “Canīt we do this tomorrow instead?” He knew that he sounded whiney, but couldnīt help it since a headache was starting to form in his front lobe.

Fatima looked straight at him, shaking her head slowly, “I know that youīre tired, but NO, you have to get these moves straight and I donīt care if you have to work the whole Christimas Eve. Understand?” She was a brilliant instructor, but she could aslo be a bit rough when she wanted to achive something, and this she often had to practice on Nick who had a way of getting whiney whenever hard work was required. She knew that Nick was a perfectionist and therefore she pushed him to the edge, knowing that he needed it as well as had to learn not to do everything the easy way.

“Okay, okay,” Nick felt defeated, putting his hands up in the air. “Turn on the music. Iīll do it.” With that he started to practice the dance moves furiously and he didnīt even stop when the boys called a break one hour later. He decided to show them. That he was no clutz.

*********************************

Christmas eve went past fast. Nick had spent the evening with his family and relatives and he had stuffed himself full of goodies and food for three days straight. It was a delicious meal and his mother had spent the better part of her time in kitchen cooking up all sorts of delights. This reminded him when he was young, before joining the group. It felt good to be together with family and he had played all sorts of games with his little brother and sisters.

Now it was time to go back to normal again. About as normal as it can gets when you are in the middle of doing promotion and concerts all across Canada and the states.

“Bye Mom,” Nick hugged his mother long and hard, not wanting to let go of his grip. He didnīt feel like touring and had actually enjoyed being at home, chillin’, watching tv, listening to music. The fact that he would be on his own for more than a month might also have contributed that he felt alone and a bit sad. His parents didnīt have the chance to follow him on and his Uncle Jack, who often accompanied him couldnīt come either. This left Nick on his own.

After reassuring his parents about hundred times that he would do just fine, he heard the van honk outside. Looking through the window he saw Howie waving from the window.

“Iīll better be going then,” the last syllables were dragged out, before he picked up his sportsbag and walked outside. Nick wasnīt much of a packer and he tried to take as little things with him as possible. AJ and Howie was the worst in bringing suitcases and they had taken with them 3 each. They were suppose to fly to Halifax in Nova Scotia where they would make a performance the same night. Then they would take the bus down to Quebec before they would head off to Montreal and the beginning of the tour.

Brian and Kevin would meet them in Halifax and Nick's company during the flight would be AJ, Howie and of course Lou, Johnny and Donna. He couldnīt exactly say that he looked forward to this.

“Hey guys,” Nick said cheerfully as he opened the van door.

“Cha Nicky,” Howie greeted him with a smile and AJ peered down behind his glasses, giving him a short nod.

“Hello Nick,” Donna said as she took his trunk, putting it in the back.

“Youīre ready?” Lou asked as he sat down in the drivers seat. Johnny sat with him and Nick had the “opportunity” to sit next to Donna.

“Sure,” He crawled into the small van and waved to his family who waited on the porch. The ride over to the airport was very uneventful and he managed to doze on and off a few times. It was early in the morning and Nick, not being much of a morning person was for once grateful for the rocking that the van provided.

They didnīt have to wait long until it was time to board the plane. The early flight as well as sunglass covered faces made it possible to escape the fans.

“Yo man,” AJ said as he tried to get Nick's attention, “check out that girl.” He motioned with his head towards a good looking brunette that stood by the check in desk.

“Yup, she is a chick.” Howie commented and Nick couldnīt help to blush. Even if he was womanizer he got all nervous being around girls that looked like models. His hands went sweaty and he didnīt know what to do with himself. She looked his way, smiling.

Nick's legs felt like jello and AJ had to hold him up or he would tilt to his side. “You ok man?” he asked a bit concerned. Nick nodded franetically. The girl smiled again and he decided that as soon as he got a chance he would go over and talk to this fox. If he was lucky she was heading with the same plane.

“Mandy,” a boy called out for her and Nick could feel a pang of sadness when he saw the boy embrace the girl. He had lived in Tampa for the better part of his life, but never set his eyes on this girl before.

“Looks like she already have a boyfriend,” Howie said, patting Nick on his shoulder.

“Yeah.” Nick sighed as he picked up the sportsbag, walking behind the guys towards the exit. He couldnīt help looking back at the girl again. There was something special about her and he made a mental note that if he ever met her one more time he would go up and chat her up.

“Come on, stud.” Bone grinned as he saw that Nick had turned around again, looking at the girl. “Canada is waiting and Iīm pretty sure that there are some other hot looking babes that are more than willing to get into your pants.”

“AJ!” Howie sounded shocked, but got a grin back. It was fun to tease Sweet D’.

Once they boarded the aircraft Nick sank back in his seat, closing his eyes. He never liked flying since he often got airsick and was afraid that they would crash any second. Goíng up and down was the worst and he was actually happy that he had skipped breakfast once the plane took off to higher altitudes.

“What did you do for Christmas?” Donna asked as she sat across the aisle, together with her husband and Lou.

“Not much, ate like a pig,” Nick replied.

“Yeah it shows,” Bone commented, patting Nick on his stomach. “You look like youīre pregnant.”

“I do not!” Nick felt offended. Okay, he might have gained some weight, but not at all in the rate that his friend was suggesting.

“You need to do some work outs, “ Howie commented and Nick felt pissed. Were the guys going to nag to him about his looks all the way to Canada? Howie was some kind of health nut and AJ took good care of his body too, lifting. He knew that he wasnīt fat or anything, it was just that this past year he had changed his looks and was starting to mature more and more. With this came that he was getting taller, almost as tall as Kevin, as well as getting a belly. Yet there were no need for concern.

After sleeping all the way, missing two meals and a movie it was time for the plane to go down. He grabbed the armrest tightly, closing his eyes when he felt the plane starting to go down.

“Take it easy,” Howie comforted him, “nothing will happen.” Bone was for once not making any cruel jokes about Nicks situation and as soon as the plane touched ground he wanted out from this hellhole.

Not many people knew what time the Backstreet Boy's would arrive and as he walked towards the terminal people turned around, pointing at him. “Look itīs Nick Carter!” one person yelled and he could have ripped off their heads. Dealing with fans was the last thing he wanted right now.

Within seconds the airport was filled with people coming over to them and Johnny and Lou did their best to protect Nick, Howie and AJ from a destiny of becoming run down by fans. They were guided towads a waiting wan and had to run through the crowd of fans that were waiting outside the airport terminal.

“Nick! Nick I love you,” the girls screamed, grabbing at his clothes. Panic surged up in him and he felt grateful when Lou helped him into the bus. Inside he was met with a surprise, Kevin and Brian had already checked in and they were waiting for them, watching the riot that occurred outside.

“Hey Frack,” Brian said with a smile as they were safe and sound again. He patted on the seat next to him and Nick sat down immediately. They did a short wrestling match as they met each other again after being away over the holdidays.

“Wassup dude?”

“Nothing much, sitting here. Bored,” Brian said and soon they were engrossed in a conversation dealing with family, Christmas gifts and Nintendo.

Their chat was soon interrupted by Kevin turning to them a bit formal, “So Nick how was things over at your family?”

“Pretty good.” Nick looked down since he didnīt want Kevin to see the tears that dwelled in his eyes when he talked about his family. He was very private about his private life, not wanting to reveal too much. One of the main things for acting like this was that the more he talked about his siblings the more he missed them.

“What did you do?” Kevin didnīt sound too interested and before Nick had a chance to answer AJ butted into the conversation, “Fatass here has been eating junk, canīt you see that he has gained some weight?” AJ was suppose to make it as a joke and he grinned widely afterwards, slapping Nick hard on his back.

The blonde however wasnīt too amused and didnīt approve of the laughter and jokes that followed afterwards. “Knock it off!”

“Jeeze you're moody,” AJ mumbled as he muttered some not so nice words.

“I hope your not going to be in this mood all the time,” Kevin stated and Nick felt angry. Maybe it was the age difference between them, but recently they had a very hard time dealing with each other. Nick knew that Kevin tought of him as a baby and this upset him grately.

He bit his lip,there were no use in starting a fight. After all it was only a few minutes since they had met and they had a loooooong tour ahead of them.