- Text Size +
Perfection - Chapter 3

“Can we just skip today?” Nick moaned as he listened to Brian open drawers and toss clothes onto the bed.

Brian shook his head as he threw Nick’s pants at the young boy laying in bed. “You know we have schedules to keep.”

“But I feel like shit,” Nick pleaded.

“No can do Nick, you did this to yourself so you deal with the consequences of your behavior.”

Dragging himself slowly out of the warm bed, Nick mocked Brian’s last few words “deal with the consequences” with a sarcastic voice, instantly regretting the headache that developed from his movements. Gently placing a hand to his head, Nick questioned outloud, “What the hell did I have to drink?”

“Pretty much the entire bar,” came the short reply. “Get moving!”

“Hey I’m not a morning person,” Nick defended.

Brian’s cell phone chirped bringing another moan from the young blonde. He shook his head. “Yeah?”

Nick half listened to Brian’s half of the brief phone conversation as he slowly got himself dressed. During the call, Brian had to answer the door and he glared at Nick as he made his way over the piles of clothes and video games that were strewn on the floor.

“Sorry I can’t be perfect like you,” Nick mumbled and then stuck his middle finger out when Brian had his back turned.

“I saw that,” he stated quickly as he pulled the door open.

AJ came bursting into the room, tall styrofoam cup of coffee in his hand. Brian clicked off his phone and tossed it onto his bed.

“Yo Nickster, how ya feelin?”

“Judas AJ, I’m not deaf,” Nick snapped.

AJ grinned. “That good?”

“Hungover,” Brian observed.

“Let Doc McLean take care of you son,” AJ mused as he punched some numbers on the phone. “Fix it kit in Littrell and Carter’s room.” Slamming the phone down AJ turned and observed the pale looking teen. “Well, other than the hair of the dog, which I’m sure wouldn’t fly today, I have something else you can do to cure the hangover.”

“I am not hungover,” Nick protested.

“Yeah and I’m the pope,” AJ countered, shoving the coffee towards Nick.

Nick sniffed the the black liquid. “This is black,” he whined.

AJ rolled his eyes. “Ya know not everything comes with chocolate in it Carter. Just drink it.”

“But it’s black coffee,” Nick continued to complain.

“Oh for the love of god,” AJ moaned as he reached for the sugar packets that were set by the courtesy coffee machine on the desktop. “I’m guessing eight packets?”

Nick glared at AJ as he grabbed the sugar from him. He tore open two of the packets and dumped them into the coffee as Brian and AJ watched. When they got involved in a conversation, Nick quickly ripped open three more packets and dumped them in, scrunching the paper evidence up and stuffing it into the front pocket of his jeans.

A quick, quiet knock on the door announced to the room that AJ’s bodyguard Marquis had arrived. Nick eyed the man suspiciously when he entered carrying a small green bag.

“Wha.. what’s he got there?”

“A little something to get you up and on your feet Carter,” AJ rasped.

Nick’s eyes widened when Marquis pulled a syringe out of the bag.

“Oh no, no you’re not gonna shoot me with that thing,” Nick screeched. He was deathly afraid of needles and the thought of someone besides a medical professional giving him a shot scared him even more.

“Wouldja just chill man? It’s a B-12 shot, Marquis gives them to me lots of times. It’s gonna get up back on your feet,” AJ persuaded.

“There’s nothing wrong with me, I.. I don’t need it,” Nick protested.

“Oh come on Nick, just get it overwith and you’ll feel better, besides they’re waiting for us down in the lobby, you’re holding us up,” Brian coaxed.

Nick looked at the bulky black bodyguard, unsure if he wanted the man to touch him with a needle.

“Relax Nick, I’ve done this millions of times, haven’t lost anyone yet,” Marquis grinned.

“There’s always a first,” Nick replied through gritted teeth.

AJ lept onto Nick and pushed him down onto the bed. “Just get it overwith.”

“GET OFF OF ME!” Nick screeched.

AJ made eye contact with Marquis and the man hurried over with the syringe and shoved back Nick’s sleeve, plunging the needle into his upper arm.

“What about alcohol?” Brian asked.

“He’s got enough in his system, don’t worry,” AJ joked.

Brian narrowed his eyes at AJ. “Infection?”

“We don’t have time for that crap. I’m sure sissy ass will be okay,” AJ growled as Nick yelped when the shot was injected.

“DAMMIT AJ....GET OFF OF ME!”

Smiling, AJ hopped off of Nick’s body when the shot was done. “There, that wasn’t so bad was it Nicky boy?” He scruffed Nick’s hair for good measure before Nick jumped off the bed.

Brian looked at the empty syringe and then at AJ. Sensing what Brian was thinking, AJ responded with, “They get disposed of in Marquis’s room, no drug issues or rumors, I have it covered. No sweat.”

Nick sat up on the bed, rubbing his arm.

“Don’t you say a word to anyone about this Nick, no Howie, no Kevin, no management, no one!” AJ growled.

“Grab your coffee Nick, we gotta go!” Brian urged as he held the door open.

“But I have to go to the bathroom,” Nick whined.

“We don’t have time, go at the studio,” AJ snapped. “Come on boy, let’s get going!”

******

Except for the slight headache, Nick decided he felt pretty good and the hangover was declared history. He shook his head when he thought about the miracle cure that Bone had. If anyone knew about how to get rid of the morning after party hangover, that would be the expert in hangovers - AJ.

“Nick, pay attention,” Kevin growled as he pointed sharply at the sheet music with his index finger.

Nick jumped, shaken from his thoughts.

“As I was saying, this bridge right here is a different sort of melody and it’s mainly Nick’s voice that will be heard with us in the background,” the songwriter stated as she looked at the eyes of the young band members that were gathered around the table.

Nick looked at the young woman appreciatively. She had long, blond shoulder length hair, deep green eyes and an attractive white smile. As he was getting lost in his thoughts about the girl, he felt a sharp jab to his ribs and he quickly drew his breath in as he clamped a hand where the offending blow was delivered.

“Pay attention Nick!” Howie whispered sharply.

“Okay, let’s try a few practice takes on this song before Fatima comes in to work on the video shoot for a new song, okay?”

Kevin leaned close to Nick while the woman was cueing the tape. “Make sure you do this right, I have plans for this afternoon and I don’t need you to screw them up for me, got it?”

Nick stiffened in his chair. “Why the hell are you jumping on me?”

“Because, you always seem to be the one that messes shit up for me,” Kevin pointed out.

Nick met Kevin’s stare with one in return. Their gaze was broken when the music started to play over the speakers. Nick absently fingered the sheet of music that was placed in front of him.

“NICK!” All of the people in the room shouted in unison and the music stopped.

Nick jerked his head up and looked at the irritated faces of his band brothers. “What?”

“If you had been paying attention, you would know that you’re first on the fricken song so you just missed your cue dummy,” Kevin grumbled.

”Soorrry,” Nick breathed, tears stinging his eyes. He wanted to go back to the hotel room and lay down. He didn’t want to be here under the scrutiny of four pairs of angry eyes.

“Let’s just try it again, okay?” the songwriter suggested as she cued the music once again.

The intro played and Nick cleared his throat, preparing to ‘wow’ the guys and prove that he can be relied upon.

’Somebody told me that your not my kind

So have I lost my mind?

You keep on doing all the things I like

You've got me hypnotized

But that's the way I like it ‘

“Whoa... whoa, just what the fuck was that?” AJ moaned, holding his hands to his ears. The music was still playing and once again, all eyes were directed upon Nick.

Nick looked at the group innocently. “What?”

“That sounded like a screeching cat being dragged 300 feet under a car,” Kevin observed, shaking his head.

Nick looked at his older brother, dumbfounded. “Huh?”

“Okay, you’re how old now Nick? Sevent----”

“I’m gonna be eighteen the end of this month,” Nick cut off Brian.

“Okay, puberty was last month guys,” Howie grinned.

“What the hell are you talking about?” Nick croaked, his voice betrayed him.

“What the hell are you talking about!” AJ mimicked, making his voice crack like a prepubescent teen on prom night.

Nick stood up quickly and stormed out of the small conference room.

“And I guess we take five,” Kevin observed as blonde shoved the door open.

“Better make that fifteen,” Brian stated and stood up. “I’ll go see if he’s okay.”

Stomping down the hall, Nick found a sitting area that had a coffee machine, soda machine and a snack vending machine. He decided this was a good place to hide while he tried to calm his emotions. He didn’t want to be caught crying. AJ would ride him for weeks about being a cry baby if he saw him like this.

Reaching into his pockets, Nick pulled out some coins and dropped them into the snack machine. He selected potato chips and a couple of candy bars. Food usually soothed his nerves and he decided that maybe it was just because he was hungry that his voice was messed up.

“Nick?”

Nick jumped hearing Brian’s voice.

“Come on, take your stuff back with me and let’s get this little part of the session overwith and we can take a better break, okay?” Brian suggested.

Nick reluctantly pulled himself off the couch and trudged behind Brian, munching on the potato chips. He was inwardly dreading going back into the room. Nick knew there would be remarks about the singing and he was afraid he wouldn’t be able to keep his composure. True to his predictions, as soon as the door opened, AJ started off.

“Are you done with being a whiney ass?” AJ asked, peering over the top of his sunglasses.

Nick pasted a fake smile and sat back down into his seat.

“Nick, you of all people don’t need to be eating those chips,” Kevin remarked shaking his head. “You’re gonna break out from the chocolate and the grease in the potato chips.”

“Break out? You mean blow up!” AJ cackled.

God, why did they have to pick on me so much? Nick wondered silently. He wanted to be home. At least his parents didn’t tease him about how he talked or walked or what he ate. There was so much pressure put on him lately he wondered if he would ever survive.

“Just start the tape again, please,” Howie intervened.

‘Thank you Howie.’ Nick mentally shouted. Good ol’ Howie, always the peacemaker.