- Text Size +

"Hi Kiddo!" Brian said, as he walked inside the door to Nick's hotel room. He had knocked several times but after getting no response he had taken the matter into his own hands and walked inside. They had a show earlier in the evening and it was past midnight. Brian's first thought was that Nick was alseep since it was dark in the hotel room, only the light from the tv flickering across the carpet.

Nick was sitting on the floor crossed legged, giving him no attention. Normally he and Nick often shared a room, but this time Nick had made it clear he wanted a room of his own. This had puzzled Brian since his friend rarely wanted to be alone. He even wanted someone to accompany him when they were at an resturant and he had to use the restroom. This was something that the rest of them made fun of, but Nick always laughed saying that he couldnīt help that he was so sociable.

Sociable was not something that one could accuse Nick for being these days. He was usually gloomy and sullen and kept to himself. Not at all the cheerful prankster that they all knew and had grown to love. Instead he had gotten more clumsy and moody. He also had a bad temper, even worse than before. When Brian had mentioned this to Kevin, his cousin had shrugged saying that Nick was in late puberty and just a moody teen. Brian didnīt buy this. Instead he was set to find out what was troubling his friend.

Nick had been silent ever since coming back from his "unfortunate" stay with Lou. And when he talked he seemed to become angry all the time. Pissed at everyone. He knew that management often bugged Nick about his weight and he didnīt think it had bothered him until he found him having these awful eating binges. But Brian thought it was just the stubborn Nick shining through and that it was just an act from his friend's side to show management that they couldnīt control him. To Brian it was strange behavior, but with Nick one never knew he often did so many strange things without meaning anything from it. Deep inside he was grateful that Nick seemed to be over those eating binges since he didnīt know how to handle the teen when he was in one of those moods. How someone could make themselves sick was beyond his understanding.

"Do you mind if I come in?" Brian asked softly as he walked inside, not waiting for permission. He sat down on the soft bed.

"Yes!" The teen made no attempt to acknowledge his friend's presence and instead stared into the tv screen, blipping away on the controller as he scored points. Every so often the back of his hand went up to his nose, wiping it like he had attracted a cold.

Brian frowned. The last thing they needed was Nick to get sick. Looking at his friend he was saw that he was very tired and a bit pale. But then they all looked like that. Tired and worn. The flu bug had graced the camp and even if everybody infected was getting better it still had wiped them out. This combined with being on the road for a month was making them all long for a break. The schedule was busy, on the verge of being inhumane and even if Brian enjoyed this way of life he sometimes wished he was having peace and quiet. He was also homesick and wanted to get back home to be with Leighanne.

He knew that he wasnīt the only one suffering from homesickness. Howie had also caught that bug, being mommas boy. Brian smiled briefly as he thought about the endless hours that Sweet D' was spending talking on the phone with his family. He knew that being mommas boy was something that was labeled on him too. And there were rumors out there that his mom cut his meat for him. Okay, he could agree that at some point he was a bit overprotected, but he didnīt blame his mother, after all he had been on the verge of dying when he was young with his heart condition. But to say that he was a mommas boy was a bit far fetched.

But if he was homesick it was nothing compared to the battles that he knew Nick was going through. This could be part of Nickīs unusual behavoir. Even if Manda wasnīt one of Brians favorites he still was happy that Nick finally got to call her and they spent every free time talking to each other. He knew that Nick had got it hard, he was in over his head in love with this girl and was counting the days when they would be together.

"What are you playing?" Brian asked, nodding with his head towards the screen. He knew perfectly well that it was a combat game but he had to come up with something to say.

Nick shrugged, still not saying anything; engrossed in the tv game.

This made Brian feel uncomfortable. There had been silence much too long and he felt the need to make conversation. After all this was the reason why he had visited Nick. To tell the truth he was totally exhausted after their concert in Oslo. They were heading to Stockholm tomorrow for 2 concerts as well as the MTV European awards and they would both present as well as preform there. It was a bit nervous in the backstreet camp as it the biggest audience that they had ever played in front of, if you counted that the show was aired all over Europe.

He needed his beauty sleep and so did Nick since they would leave early in the morning, yet when he was going to go to bed he had a gnawing feeling that something was wrong with his young friend. Nick had lacked something during the whole show and he thought that it looked like he was uncomfortable too. Seeing that Nick constantly wiped his nose and cleared his throat made him think that the flu was finally hitting itīs target. Their little brother would be itīs latest victim. Looking at Nick's pale shape the bad gut feeling made him feel even more concerned than before.

Nick seemed troubled and sad.

When the blonde had been sniffling way too long the older man stood up, walking over to the bathroom with a sigh. Nick looked up briefly, but turned his head when his eyes met Brian. The Kentuckian couldnīt help but smile. Frack had to be one of the most stubborn people there was. Too stubborn for his own good. When Nick Carter was set for something not even an earthquake could move him. His smile faded when he walked into the bathroom. There was stuff scattered all over the counter and wash basin and Brian guessed that Nick would be in a hurry next morning since he was a late sleeper and packing wasnīt one of his highest priorities.

On the wash basin was a box of tissues and as Brian was about to pick a couple of them out of the box, he managed to push the box down on the floor. "Ahhh," he groaned as he bent down to pick them up, and his eyes accidently fell upon the the trashcan on the side of the toilet bowl. Generally he wouldnīt have paid it much attention but the yellow Raider wrapper was shining like a neon sign in the black trashcan. Looking down he saw that there were all kinds of candy wrappers and other packages. His first intuition was to call out to Nick and ask him why he was eating candy like an possesed. Then he remembered the previous binge eating and he froze. What if Nick was still doing this? He had said that he was over it, but by the look of it that was an lie.

Why else would the trashcan be filled with candy wrappers?

Pushing the bad feelings aside he went back to his friend who was still engrossed in the tv game. " Here you go," he said handing Nick the tissues. The blonde looked up briefly before accepting them and making good use of them. " Thanks."

" That sounds bad," Brian raised an eyebrow, " Youīre getting a cold?" He sat down on the bed again.

" Maybe."

" You should get something for that." Brian stated. He knew it was a lame topic bit he was making no progress in getting Nick to speak. It was clear that he was pretty unwanted. Why he had no idea. Usually Nick was very open and spilled it all to him, today and ever since they went on the tour he was getting more and more silent. Like he was hiding his feelings.

Nick shrugged.

Brian sighed heavily. He was starting to get tired and this was leading nowhere. " The crowed was really wild tonight. Donīt you think?" He tried to change the subject away from Nick, not that he expected any result.

" Guess so." The tvgame was beeping away.

" Even Lou thought we outnumbered ourself tonight. The norwegian loved us." It was a white lie since he had overheard Lou being a bit upset over that Nick was acting lika a big clutz that showed no emotions what so ever on stage. This couldnīt be more wrong, even if Nick had acted a bit off tonight.

" Good."

" The rest of the guys went to a club." Brian knew that it was not any important information, but he wanted an reaction from Nick. " J heard of a club and they decided to check that one out." The reaction came. Nick looked up. " So why didnīt you go then?" he asked slowly.

Surprised over getting a response he answered a bit stuttering, " Eh..I..I..eh..I thought I would go to bed instead."

" Then why donīt you?" Nicks voice was cold, and Brian jerked back. What was the matter with his friend?

" Beacuse I thought that I would spend some time with you instead."

" Mhmmm.." Nick didnīt sound too excited.

Brian felt trapped. He was loosing ground and he had to come up with an strategy fast or he could just as well go back to bed. Thinking hard he tried to find the key tyhat would unlock Nick. What would perk his brother up? It hit him like a vision from the past.

Chilling out, ordering a pizza and renting a movie. It didnīt take much to cheer his friend up.

There were just one problem. Eating after midnight didnīt settle very well with Brian and he usually was too beat and wanted to go to bed. His counsious told him that this could have something to do with his heart disorder that he would go in to surgery for within a couple of months. It was making him more tired than usual. Thinking that he could make an exception he picked up the phone on the bedstand, pressing a nine to the reception.

This action caught Nickīs attention. " Who are you calling this late?" he asked sniffling, wiping his nose with the tissue. The controller was momentarily set aside.

" Yes I can wait," Brian said as he made conversation with the reception clerk. Holding a hand over the lure he answered, " The reception. You wanīt pepparoni or mushrooms, or both?"

" Pepperoni? What?" Nick looked lost.

" On your Pizza I mean." Brian was acting casual like this was something he did every night. Ordering a night snack. Nick however was stunned.

" Youīre calling for a pizza? You Brian Littrell?" There were no misstake that he was as chocked as could be.

" Yes!" Brian felt a bit impatinet. Nick was acting like he never did something like this. Like he always was mr goody two shoes, which couldnīt be more wrong. Ok Brian was no party animal, but he liked to go clubbing occassionally and he didnīt say no to a drink either.

" B'rok itīs after midnight." His voice grew a bit hoarse, on purpose, " Midnight..you know ghost hour!"

" So?"

" Brian you NEVER eat pizza this late!" Nick was shouting the words. " I DO! But never YOU!"

" Well," he shrugged a bit uncomfortable, " I can change my mind can't I? Besides I am getting hungry and.." He turned his attention towards the lure again as the womans voice came on, " Yes this is room 656 , I would like to order two pizza, pepparoni." He looked towards Nick who was shaking his head. Furiously.

" What?" Brian frowned, " Hold on a moment," he told the reception clerk as he once again covered the lure. " Donīt you want Pepparoni?"

" No," Nick shook his head, " Just make that one."

" One?" Brian was not following his friend. This was not like the Nick he knew. The Nick that would never turn down his favorite dish; Pizza. Unless there were something wrong...Brians thoughts drifted away.

" I donīt want any," Nick explained shortly before turning back to the tvgame again, already loosing interest for the situation.

. Brian was chocked. His mouth fell open and he had to gather himself beacuse the woman on the other line called out for him to answer. " Uh,eh..Iīm sorry." Brian jerked as he turned back his attention to the lure, " Iīve changed my mind," he said slowly, still not melting that Nick was turning down this offer. " No no there is no problem. I am sorry that I bothered you." Brian felt embarressed over having to call off an order like this. " Yes no problem. Bye." He hung up, turning to Nick, " What was all that about?"

" I told you Iīm not hungry!"

" Not hungry? You?" Brian rose his voice a level too high. " What is wrong? You eat like everything, everywhere and everytime!" Then it hit him. Nick had already eaten himself full of candy. Narrowing his eyes to the teen he continued, " You didnīt happend to stuff yourself full of candy did you? Even if Johnny told you go on a diet!" Suspecion was evidence in his voice. Upon watching how Nicks eyes darkened he regretted the words that he so rudely had spat out. It wasnīt his meaning to do so.

Ignoring the last sentence Nick sneered, " Well I still donīt want any." He was hurt.

" Man, Kaos I didnīt mean too," Brian got interupted.

" Iīm going to the bed." With that Nick turned off the videogame, raising slowly from the floor like his back was still giving him problems. At that moment he looked as far away from the eighteen year old that he was. He was like a hurt little kid.

" Iīm sorry." Brian whispered, walking over to his friend," I didnīt mean to say that."

" But you still did." Nicks voice was low, like it hurt too much to speak. Stopping infront of the small bathroom he said loud and clear, looking Brian straight in his eyes, " And NO I have NOT been eating any candy tonight."

" But..but I saw in the trashcan.." Brian felt a bit confused. He knew that he shouldnīt press on but the eating binge that he had seen Nick indulge himself in several times had him concerned.

" The candywrappers that you saw were beacuse I had cleaned out my backpack! I had so much junk in there." He sounded hurt as he uttered the last words slowly, " I didnīt think you of all people would nag me about my weight." With that he closed the door.

Brian could have hit himself in his head. Here he had come down to talk to Frack beacuse he was concerned and it turned down that he was making it all worse by saying the wrong things. How stupid could someone be? He felt himself getting close to tears.

He had let Nick down.