- Text Size +
Perfection - Chapter 43

The short flight seemed to take forever, in Nick’s opinion and he couldn’t wait to get to the hotel room and peel off the restrictive jeans. His plans were quickly aborted when Johnny stood between the elevators and the group.

“I want everyone’s full, undivided attention,” Johnny barked as he unfolded a slip of paper.

Nick let out a groan and was quickly elbowed in the side from Kevin.

“Tonight is the Mtv European Awards and this is a live feed meaning absolutely no screw ups. With that in mind, we will have to be ready to leave the hotel before 4 o’clock.” Johnny looked up briefly from his paper; eyeing Nick. “No exceptions.”

As Nick shifted his backpack onto the opposite shoulder, he heard AJ yelp. “Watch what you’re doing!”

“It’s 11:30 right now, so being the generous soul that I am, I’ll allow you ladies to get some rest but then I expect everyone to be back down in this lobby outside these elevators promptly at 1 o’clock.”

“One?” Nick grumbled.

“Yes one.”

“But that doesn’t leave much time to rest.”

“That’s not my problem now, is it?”

Nick lowered his eyes to the floor. He was exhausted and the cold he was coming down with didn’t help matters much. As they entered the elevators, Nick started on his famous sneezing jags.

“Oh for the love of god,” AJ mumbled. “Five... six... seven....eight. Done Kaos?”

Nick sneezed one more time for good measure. “Yed.”

“Just keep your cooties to yourself, I’ve already been sick once this month,” AJ growled.

To get back at AJ, Nick cleared his nose without the benefit of a tissue, drawing the snot back up, making a loud snorting noise. He was successful in his mission when AJ appeared to gag. Nick grinned victoriously.

“Okay, you’re free to go up to your rooms. Just be back here at one,” Johnny directed as he punched the button to the elevator.

”Just be back here at one,” Nick repeated in a mocking tone as the elevator doors closed.

The ride up to the nineth floor was in silence, only Nick’s sniffles breaking in every now and then.

“You better take something for that when you get up to the room,” Howie advised. Nick nodded slightly in reply. Howie set his bag on the elevator floor and started rummaging through the contents until he pulled out a small plastic bottle. “Here, take two and then keep up every four hours,” he commented as he thrusted the bottle towards the boy; pills hitting the inside of the container.

“Christ D, what are you giving the boy?” AJ sputtered.

“Just some sea kelp tablets, it’s a natural cold preventative.”

“SEA KELP?!” Nick screeched, throwing the bottle back to Howie. No way in hell am I gonna put something like that in my mouth!”

“You know you don’t have time to be sick, why don’t you at least give it a try,” Howie urged.

Nick waved him off. “I’m fine, I just was stuffed up.”

Mercifully, the elevator finally stopped, letting the men off. Walking down towards his room, Nick got the funny feeling that someone was following him. As he slid the card in the slot, he could literally feel hot breath on the back of his neck. Jerking around as he opened the door, he saw AJ McLean standing behind him.

“Oh no you’re not, go bunk with D!”

AJ pushed his young brother aside, walking into the room. “You think I’m happy about this arrangement?”

Nick followed AJ in and groaned when the tattooed man threw his bag on the floor and dove onto the queen sized bed, scooping up the television remote in one fluent motion.

Glaring, Nick didn’t move from his spot. “Leave.”

AJ snapped the wad of gum in his mouth, clicking on the tv, ignorning Nick.

“I said leave!

“Make me,” AJ replied cooly, not taking his eyes off the screen.

Nick threw his bag on the floor. “This isn’t fair! Why did they have us bunk together?”

“You think I’m happy with this?”

“Well I’m definately not happy about it.”

“Why wouldn’t you want to be with me? I’m a fun guy.”

“You smoke,” Nick pointed out.

“And you fart and burp and snore really loud.”

“So do you.”

“Mine are skilled and mature, yours just suck.”

Nick rolled his eyes. “How can farts be more skilled?”

“You’re a method farter, I only fart by accident. Gentlemen don’t fart intentionally.”

“Okay, this is getting stupid. I’m calling Johnny and I’m getting you out of my room!”

AJ raised up on one elbow. “Why do you think this is your room? This might be my room and you’re invading my space.”

Nick opened his mouth to reply but he only grew flustered when he realized that this was going to be a losing battle. When he bent over to retrieve his backback, he remembered his need to get out of the uncomfortable jeans he had been forced to wear.

AJ cocked his head to one side and watched Nick with curosity. “How come your face is so red?”

Grabbing the sweatpants from the bag, Nick stormed off towards the bathroom, slamming the door behind him.

Nick flipped off the closed door, gritting his teeth. “I’ll be taking to Johnny later asshole!”

Feeling satisfied that he had won the small battle between Nick and himself, AJ propped two pillows behind his head and settled back into the bed, drifting off to sleep.

Opening the door, Nick was more calmer but finally realized that AJ had taken the best bed in the room. He was left with a sleep couch that was situated underneath the window. The couch looked like it was only 5 1/2 feet long, way too short for his 6 foot 2 inch frame.

“Oh just peachy,” Nick mumbled. A smiled crossed his lips as he looked down at AJ’s face. He was in a deep sleep, his mouth wide open, snoring.

“Payback time Bone,” Nick whispered as he backed up toward the head of the bed. “How’s this for a method fart?”

AJ didn’t wake up, but smacked his lips, rolling over onto his side.

Nick couldn’t keep his composure and busted out laughing. AJ jerked awake.

“What the hell smells in here? It smells like sulfer. Did you light a match?”

Nick made the best angelic face he could muster while giggling. “Don’t know what you’re talking about Bone, you must be dreaming.”

~*~*~*~*~

“So glad you two could join us,” Johnny muttered as he glanced at the watch on his wrist.

“We’re only five minutes late,” AJ defended.

“If you can recall, I said promptly at one.”

Grabbing a plate from the buffet table, AJ scooped a helping of mashed potatoes out. “Whatever.”

Nick stood at the edge of the buffet, his mouth watering at the sight of the delicasies that were offered. Every dish had to be his favorite and he was already having a hard time deciding what to have. Grabbing the serving spoon, he scooped up a generous portion of meatballs in BBQ sauce onto the plate.

As he reached for a chicken leg, he glanced over his shoulder and spotted Lou Pearlman coming up towards the buffet table. He quickly dropped the chicken and started brushing some of the meatballs from his plate.

“No.. no Nick, eat up, it’s okay that’s what the buffet is here for,” Lou said in a soft voice as he clamped a hand on the boy’s shoulder.

Nick eyed the manager suspiciously.

“Come on, I know you’d like those meatballs, hell, you’d like everything that’s here. Eat up, a growing boy like you needs the energy.”

“B-but what about what you said in Amsterdam?” Nick stammered quietly.

Lou laughed softly. “The salads? Oh, I have had a change of heart. Go on, eat what you want.” Lou patted his own paunch as if for emphasis. “Unlike me, you’re young so you can get away with buffets.”

Shrugging his shoulders, Nick at first wondered about the manager’s sincerity. With his back to the tables, he didn’t see the glare that Johnny was throwing towards Lou when he caught the older man’s words.

Like a dying man on death row, Nick went down the buffet line, stacking food onto his plate until there wasn’t anymore room. Grabbing a hard roll he stuck it in his mouth so he could grab some tableware before he sauntered back to the round table where the rest of his bandmates sat.

Brian eyed Nick and then his overloaded plate. “Nice manners.”

Taking a bite from the roll, Nick spoke, spraying crumbs on his shirt. “Thanks.”

A confused AJ looked at the quantity of food on Nick’s plate. He was about to remind him about the jeans that didn’t fit when Nick caught his gaze.

“Lou said I could have this.”

AJ shook his head and focused his attention on his own plate, trying to ignore the spectical that Nick was making of himself.

Johnny’s face was flushed with anger as he caught the teen walking back from the buffet table with a plate piled high with food. He leaned close to his associate. “I thought you said he needed to watch his intake!”

“I told you I was taking this matter into my own hands,” Lou replied calmly as he glanced over at the young boy.

Johnny glared, pointing an accusatory finger towards the table. “By this? You’re letting him load up?”

“It won’t last long,” Lou smugly replied.

Johnny shook his head negatively. “You really don’t know that kid at all, do you?”

Lou pushed the peas around on his plate. “I’m taking care of this not you. You let the kid get to this obvious state where he has to have costume alterations, now let me play this out. Believe me, I know what I’m doing.”

Kevin called out to Nick when he watched the blonde push himself away fromt he table and trudge back towards the buffet table. “Nick, you’re gonna make yourself sick. Slow down.”

Johnny threw his napkin down on the table, pushing his chair back. “I can’t sit here and watch this any longer. I’m going back to my room!”

Lou grinned as he fingered the small bottle he had placed in his suit coat pocket. He watched as Nick came back and started eating the second helping of food he gave himself.

By the time he was done, the other band members had already left for their rooms, leaving Nick alone at the table and Lou Pearlman at the other table, grinning when their eyes met.

Grunting as he pushed himself away from the table, Pearlman grabbed a clean glass that was sitting in front of him. Walking over to Nick’s table he sat the glass down and plunked his large frame on the chair next to him.

“I couldn’t help but notice that you seem to be starting to come down with that nasty virus that’s been going around in the group,” Lou started out.

Rubbing a finger underneath his nose, Nick sniffled. “Yeah I guess so.”

Pulling an unmarked bottle out of his pocket, Lou unscrewed the cap and started slowly pouring the light green contents into the glass. No words were spoken by Nick as he watched the thick liquid fill the glass.

“This is my grandmother’s cure for keeping the flu bug away. It’s a secret that’s been in my family for generations.”

Nick looked at the glass and raised an eyebrow. “It is?”

“That is it,” Pearlman assured and shoved the glass toward the younger man. “I want you to drink this up, it will keep you well.”

Picking up the glass, Nick sniffed the contents. “What’s it called?”

“We just call it Health Drink.”

“Health Drink?” Nick repeated.

“Yup, bottoms up. It’s better if you drink it fast.”

Staring at the light green liquid, Nick was unsure if he wanted to drink it but then thoughts of how sick the guys were with the flu changed his mind. Closing his eyes, he lifted the glass to his lips and quickly swallowed the contents. “Hey, this tastes kinda minty.”

“Yes it does. Mint soothes the stomach. You like it?”

Wiping the light green flim from his upper lip, Nick nodded innocently.

Lou pulled an unlabeled dark bottle from his pocket. “Okay, I want you to drink a glass this size every other day until I tell you to stop. This way you won’t get the flu. Your body will flush the bugs right out and keep them away.”

Nick took the bottle hesitantly. Turning it over he noticed it was stripped of any label that once had been on the bottle.

“It’s an old bottle, that’s why there’s no label,” Lou quickly offered. “Now remember, only every other day.”

Nick nodded his understanding.

“Okay, well, we better head back to your room. I’ve arranged for the tailor to visit you for stage clothes adjustments.”

Nick quickly stared down at the table, his face flushed with embarrassment.

“Now there’s nothing to be embarrasssed about son, you’re just going through changes, nothing to worry about. It happens to the best of us. I’ll see you tonight Nick. Good luck.”

~*~*~*~*~

“This is the first time I’ve ever known them to have someone adjust anyone’s clothes,” AJ remarked as he thumbed through a magazine.

“This is why I wanted to have a room to myself!” Nick snapped, tossing clothes out of his bag onto the bed.

“You’ve got it all wrong there Nick, I’m here because they didn’t want you to be alone.”

Upon hearing those words, Nick froze up.

“Johnny knows what you’ve been up to lately and he is making sure you are kept under control.”

Nick shook his head in disgust; throwing more items from his bag onto the bed. “What are you talking about?”

“Room service bills? Those are dead give aways to your late night pizzas Nick. There’s always a trail back to anything you do. You have to more secretive about things.”

Nick’s face flushed with embarrassement. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

AJ shook his head. “Nicky stop kidding yourself. They had to let your pants out and the inseams and you had to have your shirts adjusted too. If you keep this up you’ll get sick from overeating. He’s only doing this because he cares about you.”

“Lou said I was just going through changes. He was fine with this,” Nick defended.

AJ sighed. “Keep telling yourself that then.”

~*~*~*~

A firm knock on the door interrupted Lou’s afternoon drink of whiskey and water. Setting the beverage down on the dresser as he walked toward the door, he cleared his throat. “Yeah... yeah, hold on, I’m coming.”

Johnny nearly burst through the door when it was starting to open.

“What the hell is so urgent! Something wrong?”

Johnny sat down at the small round table in the corner of the plush hotel suite. “You could say that something is wrong,” he started out as he looked around the suite.

Grabbing his mixed drink off the dresser Lou pointed at it with his free hand. “You want something to drink?”

Johnny sat up in his chair and waved him off. “We need to talk about Nick Carter.”

Settling back into his chair, Lou took a generous drink from the glass. “What about Nick? Has he gotten into some trouble?”

“No, it’s nothing like that. I don’t like what you’ve got planned and I think you should stop this before something terrible happens.”

“What do you mean?”

Johnny ran a hand through his hair. “You know exactly what I mean Pearlman.”

Lou smirked. “Don’t worry, I’ve already taken care of Nick and his little problem.”

"By telling Nick it's okay to eat as much as he wants? This is like giving a diabetic candy to eat for dinner! His weight is already starting to become a problem, what the hell are you waiting for!"

Lou's eyes darkened as he glared at the younger manager. "I've got it taken care of. End of conversation. Now if you don't mind, I have some phone calls to make. You know your way out."