- Text Size +

In a swift movement, Kevin slapped his cellphone shut. Nick heard the angry half of Kevin’s coversation and the look that clouded the older man’s green eyes was anything but happiness.

“Just when you’d think you could trust them they pull a stupid stunt like this...” Kevin muttered as he flipped the cellphone open, punching numbers. “Yeah, Marty, I guess there’s a situation at some damn mall with Brian, Howie and AJ......Oh? You know already?........What?.......oh, I see, okay then, I’ll be right there.”

Nick watched as Kevin closed the cellphone, tossing it onto the empty bed.

“Something up?”

Kevin stopped raking his hands through his hair and turned to look down at Nick laying in bed. “Oh, you could say that. I fucking cannot believe this.” Kevin stopped his conversation long enough to grab his cellphone. “We’ll take up where we left off when I get back. Sit tight and don’t do anything stupid.”

Tugging lightly at the IV line, Nick rolled his eyes. “I’m tethered, where do you think I can go?”

“Just don’t do anything stupid, alright? I really need to talk to you.”

Nick shivered as he drew the covers up to his chest. His head throbbed from the migraine but also from the tension about the questions that Kevin had been asking. He was getting too close to finding out his secret. Nick wondered how long he’d be able to keep up the charade. He was scared of Kevin finding out but he was more scared about what Lou would do if the cat was out of the bag.

Rolling onto his side, he stared at the fluids that were dripping into the tubing from the IV. Nick decided his life couldn’t suck more than it did right then and there. His thoughts drifted once again to Florida and home. He desperately wished he could be there and not in this musty smelling cheap hotel.

”So boy, I had a talk with the doctor before he left the hotel!”

Nick jumped when the door banged open and Lou Pearlman started his bellowing as he entered the room. Instead of softly closing the door, the older man slammed it shut and Nick moaned quietly.

”He seems to think you’re dehydrated and mal...”

“Please don’t shout,” Nick interrupted Pearlman in a soft whisper.

“Oh? You don’t want me shouting? Well I only shout when I’m angry and that so called doctor made me mad. He must be a quack,” Pearlman sputtered as he paced the floor. “He said you were dehydrated and then he said you were malnourished!”

Nick winced as the manager’s laughter roared.

“You of all people can’t be malnourished! Look at all that fat you have on your body!”

“I’ve lost weight,” Nick quietly defended.

“You didn’t say anything to that man about the diet did you?”

“I know enough to keep my mouth shut.”

“Well I don’t like that doctor being so snoopy. He better keep his mouth shut....”

“I think he said something to Kevin...”

”Shit! That’s all I need is Richardson nosing his way into my affairs!” The obese manager lowered his body onto the bed across from Nick’s, pulling out a blue handkerchief, mopping the sweat from his forehead. “What gave you that idea? Did Richardson say anything to you?”

“He was sorta fishing but I didn’t say anything...I know not to talk.”

The manager had a look of relief wash over his sweaty face. “That’s good. You know what to do then if he asks. I’m depending on this because if anyone finds out about our little secret, I mean anyone, your career is over.”

“I know.”

“As for this nonsense of bed restrictions for two weeks, that man is definately a quack. I have bills to pay and I won’t get them paid with you laying on your ass growing fatter each passing day.”

“But he said I was dehydrated and running a fever and I passed out...”

“Bullshit! You’re a faker and he just doesn’t realize that. You passed out because of the room being warm.” Pearlman paused, his eyes glaring at the IV. “And another thing, this business of you laying low is just bull. You’ll be up and about and act like there’s nothing wrong with you, because that’s the truth. There is nothing wrong with you.”

Standing up, Pearlman leaned over Nick, patting the side of the young man’s face lightly. “Sleep tonight because tomorrow you have work to do.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“How can you guys be any dumber?” Kevin grumbled when Howie, AJ and Brian entered the safety of the hotel lobby after being saved from the bodyguards at the mall. “To go out without any bodyguards is beyond suicidal!”

“It wasn’t my idea, AJ said it would be fine,” Brian defended quietly.

“Oh, AJ said it would be fine?” Kevin mocked. “When did you start listening to Bone? He has the mentality of a housefly.”

”Hey!” AJ growled.

“Well, did you even think that maybe, just maybe you’d find yourselves caught up in a crowd? Didn’t you learn your lesson when you saw poor Nick nearly crushed when he was pushed into the side of that bus and that if you remember was because there were no bodyguards around?”

“Well, we’re not Nick are we? Besides, we’re in this for the fans,” AJ defended as he folded his arms over his chest.

“You’re just being assinine....all of you are! Howie, I thought you had more common sense than this!”

“I blame it on lapse of good judgement,” Howie replied.

“Well that’s something I agree with. Okay since I can’t trust any of you guys from not finding yourselves in more trouble, I want you to go to your rooms and go to bed.” Kevin grabbed AJ’s arm when he started to walk away. “You and I are going to spend the night with Nick.”

“What the fuck for? I finally have a room to myself for a change,” AJ rasped.

“Do you think I’m going to let you out of my sight for a moment? I’m not that stupid! As for you two, I wouldn’t laugh too much because if Lou gets wind of this, you’ll wish you had died at that mall.”

“Why do we have to spend the night with Kaos?” AJ protested as he followed Kevin down the hall toward the hotel room.

“He’s sick and he can’t be left alone.”

“God, not this again,” AJ moaned. “He’s always sick. He just fainted at the record store, no big deal.”

“He’s dehydrated and he’s running a temp, do you remember how hot he felt?”

“And people agree that you’re gay, did you know that Kevin?”

“Just shut up and get into the room!”

AJ dragged his feet by the door. “Just like that? What about my stuff?”

“Do you think I’m gonna let you out of my sight tonight? I’ll send for it, just get your butt in the room!”

”THIS IS BULLSHIT KEVIN!”

When Kevin quickly clamped a hand over AJ’s mouth, a tattooed arm flung up in denfense, prying the hand away.

”WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO THAT FOR?”

“S-h-h-h-h, Nicky’s sleeping,” Kevin admonished.

“I don’t give a flying fuck what Nicky’s doing! This is bullshit!” AJ glared over towards the bed and his eyes narrowed when he saw the IV pole. “What the hell is he getting that for?”

“Would you be a little kinder? I told you he’s sick.”

AJ threw his body down onto the empty bed. “That little freak is a faker and we both know it!”

Nick raised himself up to look over at AJ. “Can you please talk softer?”

“Softer my hairy ass, you’re such a fucking faker!”

”AJ! Knock it off!”

“God Kev, I can’t believe you’re eating up his bullshit, he’s a puss.”

“Puss or not, he’s sick.”

“Excuse me, I’m still here people!” Nick groaned, laying a pillow over his head.

“What the fuck ever. So are you gonna get my gear or can I go?”

“You’re not going anywhere. Sit tight and don’t cause more trouble, I’ll be back in a minute. Nick do you want anything?”

“Can I have some water, I’m thirsty,” Nick’ voice cracked.

Kevin looked at AJ and motioned with his head toward the bathroom. “Sure you can, AJ’ll get it for you.”

“I’m not this freak’s nurse, he can get it himself,” AJ mumbled.

Kevin shook his head as he turned to walk into the bathroom. “God, you have no compassion, I swear.” He returned with the requested water, helping Nick sit up. “You better hope that someday you don’t need my help because I would have a really hard time dealing with you. If I were Nick I would feel the same way.”

AJ threw his hands up. “I swear you baby that kid too much.”

“He can’t help it if he’s sick, alright? He’s had a hard time with this tour---”

“We’ve all had a hard time on this tour, it’s just dumbass always gets the luck with faking his headaches or stomach aches or some lame ass shit and people cater to him. I’m sick of his crap.”

Kevin opened his mouth to reprimand AJ but changed his mind as he heard Nick gulping down the water like someone that was dying of thirst. “Easy there Nick, go slow.....take your time.”

“Oh for chrissake,” AJ muttered.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

“To my own goddamn room.”

“Sit down!” Kevin thundered.

AJ sulked as he leaned back down ontop of the bed. As he leaned against the headboard, a firm knock sounded from the door.

“Go answer that.”

“God, AJ sit down....AJ go get Nick water....AJ stay here......AJ go get that! I’m not your butler!” AJ mumbled as he walked to the door, flinging it open.

“Hello, I am Dr. Waldorfen, I’m here to see the young boy that is sick.” He lowered the glasses that were perched on his nose, eyeing the tattoos that adorned AJ’s arms.

Kevin approached the open doorway, extending his hand out in greeting and brushing AJ aside as he approached. “Hello doctor.”

A smile of recognition washed over the older man’s face. “Ah...yes, Nickolas’s brother. How is the boy doing?”

Kevin igorned the look of disgust on AJ’s face as he escorted the doctor into the hotel room. “Nick’s doing much better. I’m hoping his fever is down, he looks better to me.”

“That’s cause he’s not sick,” AJ mumbled, slamming the door closed.

“What was that son?”

Kevin directed a quick hard glare at AJ before grinning nervously at the physician. “Ah, you’ll have to excuse AJ, he’s a little slow.”

The doctor set his black bag on the bed next to his patient. “How are you feeling, Nickolas?”

Nick shifted in the bed, looking up warily at the doctor. “Um, I dunno, I guess better?”

The doctor smiled at his patient’s response. “It sounds more like a guess than a statement.” He patted Nick’s leg. “You’ll feel as good as new tomorrow morning. That IV should make have rehydrated you and you just have to be mindful about drinking more fluids.”

Nick nodded his understanding to the doctor as he watched the older man pull out gauze bandages and white medical tape.

“I’m going to take your IV out.....there we go,” the doctor paused as he placed the gauze and tape across Nick’s hand. “Just remember to rest for the next several days, drink plenty of water, nothing strenuous and I guarentee you’ll be feeling in top shape in no time.”

“Oh for the love of....”

Kevin shot an angry glare in AJ’s direction as he quickly interrupted him and rushed up to the doctor. “Thank you Dr. Waldorfen, I’ll make sure he follows your advice.”

“Very good. Thank you.” The old man paused, looking at his young patient before closing the black medical bag. “It’s very important that you follow up with your family doctor when you arrive back in America.”

Pasting a thin smile on his face, Nick nodded. “Sure.”

The doctor smiled and offered his hand for Nick to shake, which he took with a weak grip. The doctor then shook Kevin’s hand and as he turned toward AJ, he noticed that the tattooed young man had conveniently tucked his hands under his arms and only gave a slight nod.

“Very well then, you know how to contact me if you need me.”

“I’ll get right on that,” AJ mumbled under his breath as he watched the physician make his way toward the door.

Nick shifted nervously in the bed when Kevin and the doctor left the hotel room. He could feel AJ’s piercing glare on him. Sighing, he turned to look at his brother that occupied the bed next to his.

”What?” Nick snapped.

“You’re a piece of work Carter, I gotta hand it to you,” AJ mused.

“Huh?”

“I mean you not only got Kevin fooled but you even got the doctor convinced you’re sick.”

”That’s because I am sick, asshole,” Nick hissed, placing a pillow over his head.

“Yeah.......whatever,” AJ mumbled as he stuck his middle finger at Nick’s pillow. “I’m fuckin’ babysitting someone’s fake sick ass and I could be out clubbin’ with D......man, this sucks!”

“Mmmmumphmmmupmmmu!”

“What the fuck did you say?”

Nick angrily pulled the pillow away from his face. “I said, you don’t have to babysit me, I’ll be just fine without your sarcastic attitude staring at me all goddamned night. Just get the hell outta here and leave me alone!”

“Okay, I will,” AJ growled, hopping off the bed, stomping toward the door, only to be met by Kevin, walking in with AJ’s luggage.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

“Out!”

“Like hell you are,” Kevin growled, heaving the bag into AJ’s chest. “Here, get your jammies on and brush your teeth.”

“Jammies? What the fuck...”

“Sleep in your boxers, I don’t give a rats ass, but just so you know, that bed over there is mine.”

“Where the hell do I sleep then?”

“Bathtub..... a set of chairs ..... the floor...... Nick’s bed....anyplace but in my bed!”

“I ain’t sleeping with mista sickly..”

“I thought you said I was faking it!”

“You are!”

“Am not!”

“Are so!”

“Oh for the love of God! J pick a place and shut your mouth!”

AJ sputtered as he walked into the bathroom and was still mumbling when he walked out. He smirked as he stood beside Nick’s bed.

“Move over wart hog and give me some space!”

Nick slowly rolled onto his side. “Just don’t move around so much, please?”

AJ threw the covers back before he slid into bed. “Yeah, sure thing and stay the hell on your own goddamned side for a change.”

”Goodnight asshole, Nick softly whispered.

“Yeah, goodnight Nick,” AJ groaned, pulling the covers toward his side of the bed. Nick tried to pull them back on his side but any type of movement made him ache so he reluctantly accepted the fact that he no longer had all the blankets and instead curled his body in a protective ball as he closed his eyes.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

AJ woke up suddenly from a fitful sleep. His sheets were soaked and his first instinct was urine....Although it was dark in the room, he turned his head and narrowed his eyes in the direction of Nick’s body.

Reaching out with a hand, he laid it on Nick’s shoulder, with the intention of waking his sleeping brother. Once his skin made contact with Nick’s he quickly changed his mind.

”God.... you’re burning up!” AJ whispered, moving his hand from Nick’s shoulder, he tried to find the boy’s forehead, accidentally waking him. “Awww Nicky, shhhh, go back to sleep,” AJ soothed.

”Ma-mi-my head fa-feels like it’s gonna explode,” Nick muttered quietly. ”I-I’m so thirsty......what time is it?”

”Shhhh, I’ll get you some, it’s still night buddy,” came the quiet answer as AJ quickly tossed his covers back.

As AJ turned the light on in the bathroom, Kevin leaned up squinting at the clock on the night stand. “AJ?”

“I’m getting Nicky some water, he said he was thirsty, I got it, go back to sleep.”

Clearing his throat, Kevin turned away from the light and adjusted the covers.

“Nicky, what are you doing? I told you I’d get you the water,” AJ said when he turned and saw Nick slowly getting out of bed.

”I-I hafta pee.”

Setting the glass down on the table AJ sighed impatiently. “Well if I knew you were getting up, I could have stayed in.....Judas, Nick, are you okay?”

Hearing the tone of AJ’s voice and the dull thud on the floor, Kevin sat up quickly in bed and found Nick sitting on the floor beside the bed, a blank expression on his face. “What the hell happened?” he demanded.

“I got him Kev, just chill man,” AJ announced with authority as he hurried over to help his brother to his feet.

”S-sorry,” Nick apologized sheepishly.

“What the hell happened?”

Nick shrugged his shoulders. ”I dunno.”

“He was starting to walk toward the bathroom and then it looked like he was trying to sit back down again. He might have been sleepwalking, I don’t know, but Kev, he really is sick he’s burning up!”

Kevin threw the blankets off his bed as he started to move over to the pale blonde. “That’s what I’ve been telling you all night...... God, Nick you are hot,” Kevin remarked after he placed a hand on Nick’s forehead.

”I gotta pee,” Nick mumbled.

“Easy there, just take it slow,” Kevin advised as he took Nick’s arm. “Are you okay?”

“He said he had to pee, God, don’t make such a federal case over it,” AJ mumbled, feeling pushed away from offering Nick help.

Kevin shot a look in AJ’s direction as he helped Nick slowly make his way toward the bathroom.

“Nicky, do you hurt?”

“Why are you asking him that? He said he has to go to the bathroom,” Kevin sputtered.

“He’s walking all hunched over, that’s all.....can’t you tell?”

Kevin glanced over at his young brother. “Nick?”

Nick stopped short of the bathroom. ”Is this a scary ride?”

“What are you talking about?” AJ rasped.

“Nicky? Snap out of it, you’re almost to the bathroom,” Kevin softly encouraged.

”Huh...oh yeah, sorry,” Nick whispered.

“I don’t know if I like the way he’s acting Kev, it’s almost like he’s out of it or something......we should check his temperature, I think it’s too high.”

Kevin closed the door part way to give Nick some privacy. “I agree he has a fever, but you know how disoriented he can be when he’s been sleeping. Besides, when did you suddenly start caring?”

AJ’s expression soured. “I’ve always cared!”

“Well you have a funny way of showing it!”

As AJ opened his mouth to reply, Nick stumbled out of the bathroom, intent on climbing back into the bed.

“Nick....let me help you,” AJ offered.

Nick waved AJ off, slowly climbing back into the bed.

“Hey, you better drink some water and maybe take some Tylenol for your fever,” AJ suggested.

Nick accepted the water, drinking it down without stopping for air.

“Wow.... you musta been pretty thirsty,” AJ pointed out.

Drawing the covers up to his neck, Nick shivered. ”I’m freezing.”

Kevin appeared with a fresh glass of water and two pills in the palm of his hand. “Here Nicky, take this.”

“No thanks.”

“It’s not an offer, it’s a request!”

Reluctantly, Nick sat up and quickly washed the pills down with a full glass of water.

“There...good boy, remember the doctor said you need to drink plenty of water,” Kevin praised. Pulling the blankets back over Nick, he smiled, obviously pleased with his parental instincts. He felt as if he was doing the right thing by following the doctor’s advice with pushing the water on Nick. Little did he know it was one of the worst things that he could possibly be doing.......