- Text Size +
Perfection - Chapter 89

Sitting in the hotel room with Nick, Kevin couldn’t help but stare at the sleeping blonde, making mental notes on his appearance. The young man had been in so much pain during the flight that Kevin had no other choice but to give Nick a couple of the pain pills. He had been preparing for Nick to start bouncing off the walls when the medication took effect but was shocked when he crawled into bed and fell asleep immediately.

Running a hand through his thick, dark hair, Kevin sighed. Maybe with the urninary tract infection coupled with Nick having an urgent need to relieve himself created the increase in pain. He leaned his elbows on his thighs and cradled his head in his hands.

Kevin had only closed his eyes for a moment when a moan from Nick jarred his thoughts and he immediately looked over to see if the boy was waking up. He was satisfied when he saw that Nick had only rolled onto his back, eyes still closed. Nick starting pawing at the covers, his brows furrowed in frustration. Thinking that he was trying to pull the blankets up, Kevin quickly stood up to take care of the problem. Just as he finished, a soft knock came from the door.

Fearing it was fans on the other side, Kevin was relieved when he saw Brian’s face and quickly pulled the door open wide enough for his cousin to pass through.

“I thought I should stop by and see how Nicky’s doing,” Brian explained as he walked past.

Closing the door, Kevin followed Brian into the room. “He’s sleeping.”

Brian looked down at his best friend for reinforcement. “That’s good......so he’s not hurting anymore then I take it?”

Taking back his seat, Kevin folded his arms across his chest. “Probably not since the vicodin kicked in.”

Brian glanced over at Kevin. “Okay it must be pretty bad since I know you didn’t like how he acted on that stuff and you swore he wasn’t getting anymore. Kev, I really think something more is wrong besides a urinary tract infection.”

“Calm down.......you know how Nick doesn’t have much of a tolerance for pain? I’m sure his body is a little more sensitive to this than most people are.”

Just as Brian opened his mouth to reply, knocking was heard.

“Good God this must be Grand Central Station,” Kevin breathed as he pulled himself out of the chair. As the door was pulled open slowly a tattooed arm pushed against it, pinning Kevin between the door and the wall.

“God, couldn’t you let us in a little faster?” AJ rasped as he sauntered into the room, Howie following behind him looking over at Kevin apologetically.

“It’s my room so it’s my choice whether I let you in or not Aje,” Kevin snapped as he slammed the door closed.

Howie sat on the edge of the bed, touching his brother’s blanketed leg. “Hey Nicky, how are you feeling?”

Upon hearing Howie’s question, Kevin’s shoulders dropped. “Shit did I wake you up Nick?”

Looking up at the Latino, Nick’s eyes flicked from his face to each of the men standing in the room. A puzzled look crossed his face. “Why are you guys here?”

AJ sat in Kevin’s chair, tossing his legs onto the bed as he adjusted his body. “Cause we care kid,” he replied, pulling the tab on the beer can.

Brian scowled when the beer foamed out through the opening; AJ noisily sucking the frothy foam from the lid.

Nick frowned, “Don’t get that on my carpet asshole!”

“I’m sure housekeeping will take care of it,” AJ grinned.

“I don’t have her anymore.”

This time it was Howie that wore a confused expression. “What are you talking about Nick?”

“Earth to Kaos......quit acting like you think you’re home,” AJ said as he shook his head.

“Don’t you remember getting out of the van?” Kevin asked.

Nick put a hand up to his sweat soaked head. “Oh yeah.....sure.”

“Where are we then?”

Nick gingerly turned onto his side, pulling the pillow over his head. “Stop asking so many damn questions.”

Kevin and Brian exchanged puzzled glances.

“Nick, are you sure you know where you are?” Howie questioned quietly; alarm evident in his voice.

“Yeah I know where I am,” came a growl from under the pillow.

AJ cocked his head to one side. “Enlighten us then kiddo.”

Thinking a moment before he answered, Nick tried to come up with where he was. He knew that since they said he wasn’t home, he had to be on the road someplace. “I’m in a hotel......leave me alone now.”

“Okay, you score one point but where is the hotel at?”

“Leave me the fuck alone!” Nick snarled.

Brian stared down at the lump under the covers, shaking his head. “I really don’t like this...”

“Maybe it’s the vicodin---”

AJ started snickering. “Oh that’s gotta be why Kaos is more spaced out than normal....he couldn’t handle drugs---”

“Wouldyoujust shut up about drugs!” Brian shouted.

“Everybody get out of my room!"

“C’mon kid, don’t take us seriously, you haven’t before,” AJ playfully teased as he leaned over and tugged at the blankets.

“I swear to God if you don’t stop and let go of my blanket I’m gonna---”

“Kick my ass? C’mon out from under there, I’d like to see you do that!” AJ challenged, ignoring the glares from the rest of the men.

The covers flipped off and Nick slowly sat up. Ignoring AJ and the rest of the guys, he padded over to the bathroom as fast as he could manage; all eyes following his movement.

AJ smirked. “At least I got him out of bed.”

“He needs to be resting,” Kevin advised.

“I think he should be resting through this whole cooked up mess,” Howie agreed.

“Yeah but will Mr. Pearlman see it the way we do?” Brian questioned.

“All fatass is gonna say is that Nicky has that infection and he can work,” AJ stated lifting the beer can to his lips.

“Aje.....we have a ball game in a couple of hours, don’t you think you should lay off the booze?”

“Kevin stop being a worrywart about everything, I know my limits!”

“I don’t care about limits, I’m more concerned about the smell on your breath.”

The ringing of the phone abruptly stopped the conversation.

Kevin quickly lifted the receiver, the rest of the band members listened to his side of the conversation. “Yeah.......yessir........no, no sir.............but I really think that Nick should sit out...........yes.....yessir......okay.....they’re all with me......” As he hung up the received, Kevin ran a hand through his thick hair. “Pearlman said we have to be down to the hotel lobby in fifteen minutes. The game was a little earlier than what he had down on his schedule.”

“Is he letting Nick off?” Brian questioned.

Kevin shook his head. “No, he expects all of us there.”

“How about we just don’t allow Nick to come?” Howie wondered.

“He said he’d personally make sure we were fined so much money our heads would spin and we’d be working for him for the rest of our lives to pay it off.”

“This is insane,” Brian grumbled. “I’m gonna go talk to Johnny about this.”

“You know you’re wasting your breath,” AJ called out as Brian opened the door.

“I know, but I’m gonna at least try.”

“I’ll go with you,” Howie offered, half walking/half running toward the open door.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“I can’t believe that dickhead,” AJ muttered as he finished getting dressed for the ball game.

Brian shook his head. “I dunno what’s going on but I really think Mr. Pearlman has Johnny scared, I mean think about it, he kept saying over and over again that he had a wife and a mortgage and other obligations and that Nick had to do what he’s told.”

“That sounds like words coming from the mouth of someone that’s scared, if you ask me,” Howie nodded.

“Nicky, you don’t have to do this,” Kevin said as he sat next to the young bandmember.

“I have to......he told me I have to,” came the mumbled reply.

“You look like shit Kaos.....look at him, he’s sweating and his face is bright red and we haven’t even stepped foot on the court,” AJ commented.

Brian leaned over to place a hand on Nick’s forehead but the blonde immediated twisted his body to prevent him from doing so. “I’m fine, alright.”

“Hold still, I wanna see if you’re running a temp.”

“Howie, toss me a bottle of water, I’ll be fine I just need to cool down,” Nick advised.

Kevin furrowed his brow at the young blonde. “How many bottles have you drank today?”

He thought about it for a moment and as hard as he tried, he couldn’t remember what he did today or yesterday for that matter. “Bite me,” Nick hissed.

“Okay that was a good response,” AJ snickered.

“I remember him drinking at least seven,” Brian counted on his hands.

“Are you the fuckin’ water nazi now?” Nick glowered as he caught the bottle as it was tossed in his direction. “I’m thirsty......I can’t help it.”

Kevin ran a hand over his face. “I don’t like this at all.”

“Nick you’re burning up!” Brian shouted excitidly.

Twisting the cap off the bottled water, Nick didn’t seem to share Brian’s concerns. “It’s just hot in here.”

A young man stuck his face in the greenroom door. “Showtime boys!”

“Nick you can’t even stand up straight, this is crazy,” Howie observed.

“I’ll be fine,” Nick protested. “Just toss me the ball and I’ll be fine.”

“I have a hard time believing that,” Brian said with a disgusted look on his face.

As they made their way to the bench, Nick kept balling his fee hand into a fist, trying to loosen up the tightness he was feeling. His hands felt funny and he noticed that the ring he wore on his index finger felt like it was cutting the circulation off. Looking down at his fingers, he noticed that they looked a little ‘puffy.’

“Nicky, your eyes look like you didn’t get enough sleep,” Brian stated as he looked at his best friend’s puffy eyes.

Nick tossed an annoyed look at Brian. “I said I’m fine.”

”Ladies and gentlemen, we are pleased to give you the first Battle of Boybands here in our beautiful city of Munich.......First let me introduce to you the members of the newest recording sensation, n’Sync....”

AJ scoffed as he watched the members of their new rivals take center court. “Look at those pathetic guys...they look gay!”

“The audience seems to like them,” Howie whispered into his friend’s ear.

“They’ll be a one-hit wonder, mark my words,” AJ predicted with a smirk.

“Shhhhh, quiet, we’ll miss our cue!” Kevin reprimanded.

One by one, the Backstreet Boys were called out to center court to meet the bandmembers of Lou Pearlman’s latest group of young boy singers. The n’sync members seemed to play it up to the camera, much to Lou’s pleasure while the Backstreet members were quiet.

After the announcements were made, the game was ready to begin. As planned by Pearlman, Nick was suppose to meet in the center for tip-off with JC, since each of them were the tallest in the group. His face glistening with sweat as he waited for the referee to toss the ball in the air, Nick ignored the shouts and cheers from the crowd.

A sharp pain tore through his midsection as he reached up to hit the ball causing his usual reach to be halved letting JC get the toss up easily. A few moments into the game found Nick at the end of the court, hunched over with his hands on his knees panting.

“Nicky? Are you alright?” Brian questioned.

“I’m.......having.......trouble.......catching........my......b-breath,” he panted.

Brian automatically signalled a time out to the ref, letting the basketball fall to the floor. Putting a comforting arm around Nick’s waist, he carefully led his friend to the side of the ball court, signalling the manager’s attention.

The referee blew the whistle around his neck, stopping the action on the court. AJ, Kevin and Howie looked over toward the ref and were shocked to see Nick being escorted off the court by Brian. The trio quickly sprinted to help their younger brother.

“Nick needs a doctor now!”

“What the hell is wrong with Carter now?” Pearlman questioned, his face turning red with agitation as well as anger.

“I.....c-can’t.....b-breathe,” Nick gasped.

“You can talk so you can breathe,” Pearlman stated with annoyance in his voice.

Brian shook his head in defiance. “He needs to see a doctor, I’ll take him right now!”

“It’s probably his asthma again.......did you bring anything along for it?” Pearlman bristled.

“He hasn’t had problems with asthma for years,” Kevin corrected.

“And he used to be a skinny kid too but can’t you see how out of shape Carter has become? He’s soft and flabby.......”

“That still doesn’t explain why he can’t breathe,” AJ defended.

“He needs medical attention asshole,” Kevin sputtered.

Pearlman’s eyes widened at Kevin’s remark. “Lower your tone Richardson! I’m sure it’s just the boy’s asthma but just to make you pissants happy, I’ll get a doctor.”

Brian felt a little relieved when Pearlman agreed that Nick should see a doctor but he was shocked to see that the fat manager made no attempt to take Nick into the locker room.

“He needs to see one now!”

Pearlman pointed a chubby finger at the player’s bench. “Carter....sit down on the bench.”

Brian hung onto Nick’s arm, refusing to let him follow the manger’s direction. “Sit down? What do you mean sit down? He can’t breathe!

The men watched dumbfounded as the manager waddled over to the announcer’s table and spoke with the men seated there. After a few moments, he waddled back to where the group was assembled, holding up a white colored inhaler. “Here Nick, you’re in luck.”

“Cut the crap Lou, he needs to see a doctor not this!” Kevin snapped.

Pearlman smiled. “And he will see the doctor, after the game and not a moment before.”

“You are seriously psycho,” AJ snarled.

“I’m fine now....I can breathe better,” Nick said quietly.

“Good, now go back out on the court and show these fans something good,” Pearlman grinned.

”GO BACK OUT ON THE COURT? ARE YOU CRAZY?”

“Littrell, watch your tone with me boy!”

”I WON’T BE QUIET AND I WON’T CHANGE MY TONE....WHAT YOU’RE DOING IS EVIL....HE NEEDS TO SEE A DOCTOR......YOU CAN’T KEEP PUTTING THIS OFF!”

“If you’re calm now, I’ll have you know that I was going to leave as soon as you started the game again to find a physician to take a look at Carter,” Pearlman retorted through gritted teeth.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“I ache so much,” Nick complained as he laid down on his bed.

“I know Nick and the doctor is suppose to be here any minute now,” Kevin said sympathetically as he placed a cool washcloth on the young boy’s forehead.

“Kev, did you see the size of Nick’s ankles? They are swollen over the tops of his sneakers,” Brian commented worridly.

Glancing down toward Nick’s feet, Kevin gasped when he saw the swollen ankles. “Shit Nick, your ankles are huge.”

“They always get that way after ball games,” Nick lied.

“They do not Nick....I’ve never seen that on you before,” Brian stated.

Putting a hand to the compress on his forehead, Nick rolled his eyes dramatically. “That’s cause you’ve never looked at my legs.”

“Kiddo you look like you’ve beefed up overnight,” AJ surveyed.

Nick closed his eyes, moaning. ‘Why do I always gain weight and not lose it?’ he wondered to himself. He made a mental note to take some more of the diet pills after the doctor left.....if and when the doctor comes!

On the other side of the door, in the hotel hall, Lou Pearlman was standing alongside an older doctor he had found. “Dr. Shepard, remember, this kid has to do his work and under no circumstances will you excuse him from it. Here’s one thousand D-marks to get you started and after you’re done with the young boy, you’ll get four thousand more but only after you’ve done as I’ve told you. Do you understand?”

Dr. Shepard nodded in reply. “I just hope the boy isn’t very ill.”

“Take my word, this boy is always trying to play sick to get out of work. It’s just a case of over-acting that he’s got and nothing more,” Pearlman spat. “Just remember, he’s okay to work and you get the rest of your money.”

The doctor looked at the manager, not saying anything as he knocked on the door.

“Let us in,” Pearlman shouted.

As Kevin opened the door, it was obvious to the manager and the doctor that he was sizing up the elderly gentleman.

“This is doctor.....”

“Dr. Kleinschmit,” the man finished as he held a hand out for Kevin to shake.

“Everybody can leave the room while the good Dr. Kleinschmit examines Nick,” Lou ordered in a gruff voice.

Brian, Howie, AJ and Kevin remained where they were.

“We’re staying through this one,” Kevin replied as he folded his arms across his chest, his jaw jutted out in determination.

As Pearlman glared at Kevin, Kevin returned his glare with a smug smile. It was clear to the manager that the older bandmember wasn’t going to follow orders.

Dr. Kleinschmit knelt down beside Nick’s bed. “Hello son, I’m Dr. Kleinschmit. What seems to be the trouble?”

Pearlman snorted. “He’s just a cry baby, that’s all.”

The elderly doctor tossed a dark look at the manager. “I’m asking the patient, please do not interrupt. I’m sure he can speak for himself......son? What seems to be wrong, son?”

Nick felt funny about being questioned about his health with all of the guys in the room but also with Lou Pearlman’s beady eyes peering over the doctor’s shoulder. Now he felt stupid.

He shrugged his shoulders as he responded to the doctor’s question. “Um, I just feel like I’ve been run over by a truck.”

Taking ahold of Nick’s wrist to check his pulse, the doctor commented on the warmth of his skin. “You’re burning up with fever,” he remarked as he rummaged through his black bag for the ear thermometer. Sticking the device in Nick’s ear, it was only seconds before a beeping was emitted into the air.

Seeing the doctor’s concerned look on his face, Brian asked what the temperature was, getting a stern look from the manager.

“Not good, it’s 104.8 degrees farenheit.”

“Carter’s known for running high fevers,” the manager quickly added.

The doctor started asking Nick questions about his health as he went about checking the young man’s eyes, ears and nose.

“Do your fingers feel tight? They look a little swollen...”

“Look at his legs doc,” AJ piped up.

“Are you going to the restroom often?” the doctor questioned as he attempted to draw back the blankets that Nick was buried under. Before Nick could answer the question, the doctor gasped in shock when he saw Nick’s legs swollen from obvious fluid retention. As he touched one of the ankles, a definate print was left where his fingers had pressed onto the skin. “This young man needs to go to the hospital, immediately!”

”Dr. Kleinschmit,” Pearlman growled.

Hastily, the doctor pulled the D-marks from his shirt pocket, throwing it at the obese manager. “I cannot take this money! This young man is seriously ill, he needs medical attention!”

The bandmember’s mouths dropped open in shock as the doctor flung Pearlman’s bribe back. It was the proof they needed. For years they had wondered if Lou had done this before, now it was confirmed. It was money over personal health and well being.

Kevin approached the doctor, turning his back to Lou, “What do you think is wrong with Nick?”

“He’s a very sick young man.......he has needed medical attention for quite some time now from what I see here....”

“You’re concerned about his fever?”

“The fever has me concerned a bit but I’m more concerned about his edema. You do have both of your kidneys, right?”

Nick furrowed his brow as he listened to the doctor’s question. “Yeah?”

“Kidneys? What’s wrong?” Howie questioned.

“I’m fearing that with the fever and the edema that his kidneys are failing on him.....”

“Nicky, remember when you hurt your kidney when you got slammed into the side of the bus?” Howie asked.

“You injured a kidney? How long ago?”

“It was almost two months ago....” Howie stated quickly.

“He needs to get admitted to the hospital immediately! I’ll get the orders around...”

“Sir, before you do that, I need to call his folks in the states,” Kevin replied.

“Please don’t call my parents,” Nick begged. He was worried about the trouble that phone call would create with his mother and father. Little did he realize, it was going to cause more than he could ever possibly dream of.