- Text Size +

When I opened my eyes, realization that the nightmare had gotten worse yet again, struck me. They were back. The fat man, the mother, Terri, and Marcus. Terri’s boyfriend, Kurt, was nowhere to be seen. Kyung was standing over me, her hand on her cheek. I looked up at her and she motioned for me to keep still. That was funny because I hurt too bad to move anyway. Then something else caught my attention. Something very very wrong.

Terri was kneeling in front of Nick’s seat. She was smoothing his hair and holding his hand. He looked mildly confused, but not totally disgusted like I would have expected. I forgot I was supposed to keep still.

“What the hell are you doing?! Get your hands off of him!” I glared at her. My voice was weak, but my tone icier than the frigid air.

Terri whirled around and glared at me. “Haven’t you done enough you heartless bitch?! He is nearly dead because of you.”

Her words hit home and I lowered my head, unable to reply to that one. But her next words burned right into me.

“It’s okay Nick, I won’t let that little bitch hurt you anymore. She and her friends think they can kidnap my boyfriend and put you through this? Well, don’t worry baby. We’ll see they get what they deserve!” She smiled at him.

My jaw dropped. “What the hell are you talking about?! Nick??” I was scared now. Maybe more so than ever before.

He looked at me, his eye narrowed. “You kidnapped me??”

I shook my head, the panic rising. “No! God, Nick, don’t you remember...”

“Shut up whore!” Marcus slapped me hard. He kneeled down in front of me and spoke in a low, menacing tone. “If you know what is good for you, you’ll keep your mouth shut. I won’t hesitate to kill Kyung, Brian, or even Nick so don’t play with me.”

Nick looked around. “I- I can’t remember anything.”

Terri’s mom put her hand on his shoulder. “Sweetheart, it’s going to be okay. That little bitch kidnapped you and Brian. You remember Brian right?”

Nick’s eyes widened. “Oh god, is he okay?”

Terri shook her head. “Baby, I don't know. Lizz and her friend made him have a heat stroke. They didn’t give him his meds and they were going to whip him too. He is really really sick.”

I couldn’t believe I was hearing this. Kyung looked sick. “Nick...” I started weakly.

He looked down at me, his eyes hard. “I swear to you, you’re going to pay.”

My eyes filled with tears, my heart breaking. He didn’t know me at all.

Terri exchanged pleased glances with her mother and then Marcus. “That’s right baby. Together, we will make her pay.”

Nick nodded. “I say we leave them here. Just let them die out here in the cold.” He shrugged nonchalantly.

His words hit me with more force that Marcus’ slap. This wasn’t Nick. He never would have made a comment like that. Never. “Please, Nick...you have to snap out of it. It’s Lizz! Don’t you remember all our chatting? The hospital? What she did to us?! Nick, please!!” I burst out.

Marcus immediately grabbed me by the arm and started dragging me away. “NOOO!!!” I howled. “NICK!!!”

Marcus kicked me roughly in the side. “Shut up!!! Damn you are stupid!”

Kyung started to run towards us, but Terri’s mom stopped her. “I know you’ve got a good head on your shoulders girl. You aren’t quite as impulsive as your friend. Maybe you will do the smart thing and keep your mouth shut.” She stared into Kyung’s eyes.

Nick was watching the whole thing wide-eyed.

Marcus finally let me go and marched back over to where everyone else was. I could see them still, but I was too weak to move. Helpless tears streamed out of my eyes and I sunk deeper into despair.

Brian, hearing all these new noises, moaned. Nick jumped up and swayed unsteadily. Terri grabbed him and held him steady. Slowly they made their way to Brian. Terri’s mother was already there and they were moving the other seat that had him pinned. It was hard to see his face from where I was, but as far as I could tell, he looked worse.

Terri’s mom glanced at her daughter. “I don’t think he’s gonna make it.” She tried to sound upset about this, but I could hear the fakeness in her voice.

Nick looked at her sharply. “What?! Oh god...” Sheer horror was written all over his face. Brian only moaned again. His eyes fluttered a moment and fell shut again.

“I’m sorry baby.” Terri hugged Nick.

Nick tried to push the tears that were forming away. Behind his back, Terri rolled her eyes at her brother. Then her face lit up.

“Baby, you have to make her pay. She is stealing Brian away from you. This is all her fault.” Terri whispered to Nick.

“Yeah, man. you’re like a brother to me and so is Brian. We can’t let that little bitch get away with this. She has put you both through so much. Brian’s dying because of her.” Marcus encouraged, taking full advantage of Nick’s amnesia and uncharacteristic behavior.

Nick turned sharply and glared at me. “You are going to pay!!!“ Tears of rage and sorrow streamed from his eyes and he started walking slowly towards me.

~*~*~*~
As I walked closer towards my kidnapper that was sitting on the floor, I saw defiance in her eyes, well, that and a little bit of a hurt look on her face. She was so damned convincing. I knew that she was gonna try her best to get out of this situation by lying to me. I bent over to grab her shirt and a wave of dizziness came over me, causing me to take a step backwards. “Let’s just leave them bitches here to die, no sweat off my back,” I said to Terri. “Fine with me, if that’s what you want Nicky sweetheart,” Terri replied with a grin. “I just want to get Brian some help, he’s not looking too good,” I observed. Kyung couldn’t stay quiet any longer. She knew that they had cut Lizz down and with her feeling that she had caused all of this in the first place, Lizz was willing to accept the decision to be left to die. “You can’t do that! That’s murder Nick, do you want murder on your hands?” As I raised a hand up to hit this girl, something inside of me clicked. I knew that this was just not right. This girl had her eyes closed, waiting for me to hit her and I just couldn’t do it. “Maybe next time I won’t feel so generous,” I said laughingly as I dropped my hand. “You are not to address me in that manner, got it?” Kyung stared at Nick. She did not like the person he became with this amnesia. Brian’s moans turned everyone’s focus onto him again. “I don’t know if I can budge this seat, he’s really wedged,” Marcus sputtered as he looked at the seat that was pinning Brian. “I’ll just yank the hell out of it and see what happens.” As Marcus started to violently pull at the seat, Brian’s moans grew louder and then suddenly into screams. When the seat finally was pulled back, my knees started to give out on me. Blood was everywhere on Brian’s legs. “Come on Brian, we need to go get you some help,” Marcus directed. Brian’s chest was rising and falling quickly with the short gasps that he was taking. “Leave me alone,” he faintly whispered. “Bri, we have to get you some help!” I insisted, hoping I could get through to him. Brian just shook his head no in reply. “Let me die.”

“What?! Brian, no! You don’t mean that!” Nick cried. Brian didn’t reply, only struggled for breath.

“Hey, Nick, man, I’d like to leave them up here to die too, but we may run into a problem.” Marcus interrupted.

“What’s that?”

“Well, there could be rescue workers out looking for us since the plane crashed. Ya know, the little black box? Well, the authorities will just take Lizz and Kyung away and they won’t have to pay for what they have done. Not like they should. You have to avenge Brian.” Marcus replied, a gleam in his eye.

Terri’s mom spoke up. “We’ve got something figured out. We can get Brian here to hospital and then we can make these two pay. We need to start making our way down the mountain. Normally the walk would take about two days, but in our condition it could take a lot longer. The next town is about 30 miles away. Our destination is about six. But, I’ve got something planned when we reach our destination.” She grinned evilly. Nick smiled back, not knowing her intent.