- Text Size +
~ 2 ~






The trek down to the campground was quite a hike. I mean, I have done far more walking then this before but still, I guess because I was barely awake, I wanted to take a nap about three quarters of the way down the trail. The wind was also freaking me out a bit. The tall trees were swaying as the wind howled… and it was really howling badly.



“I wish the wind would stop.”



“How many times are you going to say that exactly?” Okay so maybe I was obsessing about the wind, but it sure sounded creepy.



“I don’t know AJ, I was thinking about another ten times at least. Does that work for you?” What? You didn’t think I was actually going to let that one go without a smart ass answer did you?



At least I was no longer cold since Kevin fished out his jacket for me before we started walking. I can’t believe that I was almost big enough to actually fit in this thing comfortably. True the sleeves were a little long and it hung down to a little below my waste, but soon I’d be even taller than Kev, then they would all know who the boss is… really.



“Ha-ha, yeah baby!” Oops.



“Where the hell did that come from?” Brian asked amused.



“Sometimes I worry about him.” Howie admitted to Kevin while shaking his head.



“Sorry, I was just thinking about something.”



“Care to share it with the class?” I rolled my eyes at AJ.



“You probably won’t think it’s funny.”



“Yeah but at least I can make fun of you for it though.”



“Okay fine, I was thinking that soon I’ll be taller than Kevin and then who are you going to pick on short stuff?” Well, he is short!



“I’ll still pick on you. I don’t care if you’re the jolly fucking green giant; size has nothing to do with it.”



“Yeah well I guess you’ll just have to settle for biting at my ankles then.”



“Do you think the two of you can go for more than five minutes without fighting?” Both of us looked over at Kevin and grimaced.



“He started it.” I innocently pointed at AJ as if he had made a ‘your mama’s so fat’ joke.



“AJ quit it!” HA!



“What? I didn’t do anything he started with his whole psychotic laugh.”



“Either both of you quit it or we’ll leave you two here to fend for yourselves.”



“Oh however will I manage; I mean the road is a whole half a mile back and the campground is within sight. I think I will starve to death or die trying to reach safety.” Okay I thought I was the king of sarcasm? No way, AJ was the sarcasm Yoda.



“Very funny smartass.” That was Kevin’s way of admitting silent defeat. I was never lucky enough to get that but maybe someday.



“Kevin, where did you find this place anyway? It’s so out of the way.” Brian asked now slowing his pace to stay even with me. I didn’t realize how far behind I was getting from the rest of the pack.



“I looked it up in some travel magazine, it said it was an out of the way kind of secluded camping site and I figured if it’s something we need its seclusion and privacy. We don’t want to be gawked at do we?”



“Good point.” Brian nodded and then put his hand on my shoulder, “How you holding up Fracky?”



“I’m good just tired I guess.”



“Oh and he’s also freaked out because of the howling wind…I’m sure he’ll say that in a minute.” Brian laughed but I stuck my middle finger up at AJ who blew me a kiss before darting ahead to walk with Howie.



“The wind really is howling badly though.” Once again Brian laughed.



“Hey guys we’re almost there, hustle!” Kevin ordered from the front of the line. Not like there was a huge line or anything it was just the five of us but still he looked my way when he said that since I guess I was the one dragging my feet.



“Relax we’re coming.” Brian answered shaking his head at his anal retentive cousin. I have to admit sometimes I don’t think they are really related those two.



We finally made it out of the creepy howling trees and into a clearing where there were three cabins, some picnic tables and one jeep. “This is where we check in I think.” Kevin said dropping his bag on the ground and pointing at Brian and I, well most likely just at me, “Sit and don’t move.”



What am I, a dog now? But I was so tired I didn’t make a comment just plopped myself down on the bench. AJ and Brian did the same while Howie followed Kevin inside the cabin. Now that we were out of the creepy high trees I found myself getting all excited again about this camping trip.



The last time we even came close to doing anything like this, was when we went to a dude ranch. I loved the thought of being out here with the guys. I know they didn’t want to be here but to me it just meant so much. Truth is I love hanging out with them, and yes even stupid grumpy Kevin sometimes, but for him it’s only sometimes.



“We’re going to share a tent right Frick?”



“Oh, about that…sorry I promised Kevin he could share one with you.” What? I felt my heart skip a beat.



“What?”



“Oh yeah Kaos, Kevin requested to bed with you so Rok and I are bunking together.” I must have looked devastated which amused them greatly as they started laughing and high fiving each other.



“I’m kidding Nick; of course we’re bunking together.” I let out a huge sigh of relief to which they both laughed again.



“Jeez Nick you‘re such a wuss, does it really matter who you share a tent with?”



“Is this coming from the guy who whined that he wasn’t getting to share with Nick and me?” See how cool Brian is? No matter what he always had my back.



“Whatever, I just didn’t want you to have to stay with stinky all alone.” AJ was SO jealous of my friendship with Brian and I admit I secretly LOVED that!



“Who are you rooming with AJ? I bet you got stuck with Kevin huh?” Okay so I was rubbing it in a little.



“Actually shit for brains, I’m staying with Howie. Kevin is staying with you guys!”



“Is that true Brian?” I looked up at Brian with my eyes wide, picturing his cousin ruining any possible fun that would occur. All the pranks we had planned, all the ghost stories and junk food eating.



Just then, Kevin and Howie walked out of the cabin with a huge guy who kind of looked a bit like Lurch from the Addam’s family. He was creepy, kooky and as far as I could tell, mysteriously spooky.



“Okay guys, this is Grim, he’s going to show us where we will be setting up camp.”



“Grim?” That was an odd name.



He tipped his hat at us, “All right gentleman let’s get a move on, we are expecting some rain and I want you to get those tents set up before that happens.” He had an odd accent too, almost sounded German.



Brian nudged me off of the bench as everyone was once again staring at me, “Sorry.” I grumbled as I stood and grabbed my bag.



“Let’s go, through this way.” He started walking between the two cabins where there was a huge incline that led through…



“Great, more creepy trees.”



“Don’t mind him Grim, he complains about everything.” Now was that really fair of Kevin to say?



Grim laughed and looked back my way, “Son, this is a campground, you have to expect to see some creepy trees.” Okay I’m being mocked by a guy named Grim?



We got down the steep hill and ended up on a small path that led into the heart of the woods. Once again the wind picked up and howled as we continued on, “Right there is a patch of poison oak.” Grim said, pointing out random things for us to be leery of. I guess I should have paid attention, but I was too busy focusing on the wind. I swear it was saying my name. I kept hearing Nickolas….come to us over and over again. It was creeping me out and made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.



“Why are you holding my hand?” Brian’s voice in my ear made me jump and yelp…just a little.



Of course everyone stopped and looked at me, I was embarrassed, probably because I still had Brian’s hand in my own like I was some freaking five year old or something.



“Everything okay?” Grim asked raising an eyebrow at me. AJ had a huge ass grin on his face, Howie was biting at his bottom lip and Kevin was giving me the look.



“Yeah…sorry I just thought I heard something.” I let go of Brian who seemed kind of happy about that. Poor guy, he really was a good friend to put up with some of the nonsense I put him through.



“The young one scares easily huh?” Kevin nodded at our very own Lurch and then once again gave me a look.



“Then I guess I shouldn’t tell you about the occasional ghost sightings huh?”



I gulped, okay so I thought only cartoon characters did that right before they were going to be chased by scary monsters but no, turns out anxious blonde 16 year olds do it too. “Ghosts?”



“Legend has it a long time ago a little girl got lost in these woods, because she strayed too far from the path and ended up getting horribly lost. People that camp here say occasionally they can hear her crying in the wind.” Yup gulped once again.



“How do you know she died? I mean maybe she found her way back.”



“She turned up half eaten about ten miles from the actual camp site.”



“Half eaten? By what?” Now if I wasn’t so engrossed in this little conversation, I would have noticed my ‘older brothers’ enjoying my reaction to this little tale, but the only person I was focused on was Lurch.



“That’s the biggest mystery of all…no one knows, but her head was torn right off her body.”



“So wait a minute, there are things that like…eat people out here?”



“Only people who don’t follow the rules.” Wait…that made no sense, I mean do these man eating things wait for people to go off the…oooh. Sure enough I looked up to see all the guys just about ready to bust a gut from laughing at me.



“So, there was no little girl?” Now lesson number one should really be if you are caught in a gullible moment you should NEVER ask a stupid question.



“Oh my God you should have seen your face Nicky, it was priceless, and I wish I had brought a camera.” Howie managed to get out after a few minutes of uncontrollable laughter.



“Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you. It’s just after awhile you have to figure out fun and creative ways to keep people in the campground without them trying to explore the actual woods.” Grim was still chuckling; proud of himself for scaring the crap out of me I’m sure.



“You okay Nick? You look like you want to crap your pants.” Have I mentioned that sometimes I HATE AJ? Once again that brought about more laughter but thankfully Kevin signaled for everyone to stop because as much as I tried to play it off as no big deal, I was annoyed and I guess it showed. The last thing I’m sure he wanted to happen was for me to start pounding on AJ.



“Don’t feel bad young man, I get at least one kid your age with that story every trip.” After saying that Grim turned to everyone and continued, “Okay boys, listen up just a second, I am being serious when I say there are bears and other animals here but we don’t really have a huge problem with them. It really is important that you don’t wander away from the actual campground. The woods can be a very dangerous place and it’s best to not venture into them.” Grim then walked over to me and for some reason said, “Understood?” As if I was going to go into the woods alone, me who just got spooked by a headless half eaten ghost story.



That’s when I had the brilliant idea to ask a question, I figured why not right? I mean I have already made a huge fool out of myself. What did I have to lose?



“Have you ever heard the wind calling your name?” He had his back to me as he was walking away, taking the lead to guide us on our way, but to my question he stopped and looked at me. Suddenly he wasn’t Mr. happy, smiley guide anymore.



“Why are you asking me that?”



“I was just wondering.”



Kevin sensing tension in the air came to stand between me and Lurch; you know for all his anal and sometimes totally annoying ways, he was really protective of me most of the time. Even though it was from him that I sometimes needed the MOST protection.



When Grim saw Kevin step in front of me he kind of lost that tense look in his eyes and smiled, “Sometimes it might sound like the wind is talking to you but never fear it’s just the way it sounds going through the trees.” He said nodding at me, but there was something more to that nod and instantly I shuddered.



We walked for what felt like a gazillion more hours until we finally reached our destination, a little clearing in the woods. “Okay men, here you go, this is where you will set up camp while you are here.” Grim said pointing to the flat and less grassy surface.



“Thanks so much for getting us here.” Kevin extended his hand to our creepy guide.



“Not a problem, I suggest you get moving on the tents though, if you want to beat out what looks to be a pretty big rain shower.”



“Ugh, why does it have to rain? Aren’t there cabins or something we can stay in?” A grumpy Howie asked. His hair was beginning to frizz and turn into a small afro which I admit made me smile.



“No cabins D, I mean if we have to camp why not really camp and make is as organic as possible?” I swear on the words ‘have to’ I was glared at by Mr. Richardson.



“Anything else I can help you with before I head back to civilization?”



“No, thanks Grim.” Brian said walking over and grabbing OUR tent and pulling it out of its bag.



Mr. Creepy Creeperson walked over to Kevin and handed him a walkie talkie, “Okay then, well if you need me for anything just use this to let me know. Otherwise I’ll leave you to your fun.”



“Yes a weekend in the woods with these guys and no ladies will be a blast.” AJ rolled his eyes making sure to remind us that he was a ‘ladies man’ just in case we forgot.



“And try to stay away from headless dead girls young man….and ignore the wind.” Grim said, he meant it as a joke I’m sure but there was something about the way he said it, especially the last part that made me uneasy.



He pat my head as if I was his dog and then let out a laugh. “Have fun boys!” He said and then, thankfully he was gone.



“Well he was a little creepy wasn’t he?” I asked the second I knew it was safe to talk about him.



“That’s not nice Nick, he is our guide and helped us out a bunch.”



“Well he made fun of me.”



“Because you are so easy to make fun of,” AJ then decided to use the stupidest girly voice to mock me as he continued, “Oh my GOD there are things that like….eat people here?” Naturally everyone laughed because they suck like that.



“You guys can suck my left nut!” I turned my back to them and crossed my arms over my chest.



“Come on Frack, we’re just playing, now help me get our tent up before the rain comes and just for the record, I agree he was creepy.” I high fived Brian.



“Did anyone else think he looked a little bit like Lurch?” Okay see? Now that Brian mocked our guide AJ felt like he should too. He’s such a poser and besides I said the Lurch thing first!



“Nick!” I turned when I heard my name. I couldn’t figure out where the voice came from but my heart landed in my throat when I realized it was none of the guys.



“Better run when he comes to get you!” It said just as a huge gust of wind started to howl and the rain began to fall.



I let out a huge scream at that point making all of the guys look over at me with startled looks on their faces.



“What the hell is wrong with you?” AJ asked in anything but a nice way.



“Did anyone just hear that?”



“Nick stop it, you’re not being funny in the least.” Howie said as he brushed past me with an umbrella over his head.



“That voice… tell me you guys heard that!”



“Nick stop being an ass and help!” Kevin grumbled as he threw me a sleeping bag.



They didn’t hear it, I was the only one? “It told me to run when he comes for me.”



“Well better start running then.” I was half in a trance when Brian said that so I screamed like a little girl when I felt myself being picked up off of my feet and thrown over Kevin’s shoulder.



“If you don’t start helping out I’m throwing you into the lake!”



“Put me down!” I lightly punched his back; yes lightly I’m not an idiot.



“Not until you stop being a freaking weirdo and start helping!”



“Good luck with the weirdo thing Kevin.” AJ, once again. Have I mentioned that he likes to dance around singing into a hair brush when he thinks no one is watching him?



“I promise now let me down!” I was giggling now because Kevin was tickling my neck.



“Okay little man now get to work! I mean it!!” I saluted him and went to help Brian, temporarily forgetting the weird thing that just happened.



Not realizing that there were eyes in the woods and they were all watching us intently…watching and waiting.

I'll be back on Wednesday with a new chapter. :O)