- Text Size +
Swollen Issues III - Chapter 18

Nick jerked when he felt someone touching his shoulder, rubbing it in small, soft circles.

“Nickolas..... Nick?”

He snapped out of his trance, realizing that he was crying and quickly wiped his cheeks with the back of his hand.

“Did you hear what I just told you?”

“Yes.”

“I will consult with the surgeons and get this scheduled to take care of immediately.

Nick’s head jerked up and he looked at the doctor’s face, narrowing his eyes. “Why?”

Dr. Andersen placed her hands ontop of Nick’s hands that he had folded in his lap. “I didn’t think you heard me correctly. I said the tumor was cancer but it is an operapable tumor and I think we may be able to get all of it. I’ve stopped the chemo and I need you to rest and get your strength back up before we do the surgery.”

“I-I saw you turn the IV pump off, but I figured you did it because there’s nothing more that can be done for me.”

“Awww, honey, there is plenty that still can be done for you. You can fight this and not give up, there’s still hope and I’m counting on you to do this.”

“But surgery?”

“I know it sounds drastic, but Nick, the luck is on your side with this tumor. It’s in a good spot and it can be operated on and removed. I’m thinking we’ve got time on your side and we found this in the early stages of development. When the tumor goes away, most of your stomach pain will diminish.”

“How long will I be in the hospital?”

“I’m thinking maybe five to six days, but the time can be more or less, it all depends on how well you take care of yourself before surgery. That means you have to get plenty of rest and you need to eat too.”

“The resting part won’t be a problem.”

“I’m serious about the eating too Nick. You need to build up your strength.”

“I just don’t have any appetite and the stomach aches make it hard to want to put anything down.”

“I’ll give you an appetite stimulant for that as well as steriods. I’d like to see you put on some healthy weight, you’ll need it.” The doctor pulled a sheet of paper from a file. “Here is a list of some of the things you need to eat. Lots of red meats and carbs. You need to build up your muscle and bone mass.”

Nick looked at the list that was handed to him. “I still think it’s funny that anyone would want me to eat.”

“Your life depends on this. If you don’t gain weight you will end up getting a feeding tube and that isn’t anything to take lightly.”

“I won’t let that happen to me.”

“Good, there’s the stubborn guy I’ve come to know these past months! I can write the orders to have you admitted today and get this started.”

“Today!? No, I can’t do that, my brother is here and I’ve got to do that interview and stuff, it wouldn’t be possible.”

“Nick, you can’t keep running away from this. A malignant tumor is serious.

“I know it’s serious, but can’t I just have a few more days?”

“Nick, a few more days with you turns into a few more weeks. This is really serious and this cancer can spread through your digestive system or other places if we put this off too long. You don’t want that to happen.”

Nick sighed. He knew that this tumor was serious, but the thought of surgery scared him and he was also afraid that something worse would happen.

“Now, you go home and do what you’re suppose to do and I will have my assistant call you for the time the surgery is scheduled, okay?”

“Yes Dr. Andersen.”

Drawing a shaky breath, Nick walked out of the doctor’s office toward the lobby where Kevin was waiting for him. He was silently praying that Kevin would forget that this appointment was to find out the results of the liver biopsy. He knew he was wishing for a miracle, but sometimes Kevin would be forgetful.

“You’re done already? I thought you were going to start your chemo?”

Nick lowered his head, avoiding eye contact. “Nope, let’s go home, I’m tired.”

“Do you want me to bring the car up to the door?”

“No, I think I can walk.”

“Are you sure?”

Nick stopped suddenly and Kevin walked a few steps further before he turned around. “God, I’m not helpless.....yet.”

“Nick?”

“Let’s just get the fuck out of here, okay?”

_________________

The drive home was in complete silence. Kevin had so many things he wanted to ask Nick. He could see that something was upsetting him. His mind went back to when he walked in with Nick for his appointment. He started to open his mouth to ask about the chemo session but when he looked over only to find Nick fast asleep in the passenger seat.

A lump formed in his throat at the sight. Nick’s face was pale and his skin was blotchy. The cancer had forced him to wear a bandanna or a ball cap whenever he went outside and a sweatshirt was now a constant companion to fend off chills. This was not the kid he knew and grew up with these past ten or so years. This was someone that looked so vulnerable and unable to do the things that a twenty-two year old man desired.

They were only a few blocks from the house when Nick’s cell phone started ringing. Kevin wished he could stop the phone from ringing but Nick woke up and flipped the phone open.

“Yeah?”

Although Kevin could only listen to Nick’s half of the conversation, he could tell that whatever Nick was talking to was definately over something that he didn’t like talking about.

“Tomorrow.....okay.......at 6?... So soon?......I was hoping it could wait a few more days......no I will.....yes.....goodbye.” Nick slammed his phone closed and threw it onto the dashboard.

“Whoa...something wrong?”

Nick turned his head to look out the window so that Kevin wouldn’t see the tears that were threatening to spill. “Just take me home Kev.”

As the car turned the corner to Nick’s house, both men noticed that the front lawn across the street and lined up and down the road was media from several stations.

“Unbelieveable,” Kevin muttered as he guided the car down the paved street. Nick’s only response was to slid down further in his seat and to hide his face.

“Why are they out here,” Nick moaned.

“I don’t know, it’s really strange.”

“Just get me out of this and to the house please!” Nick tearfully begged.

“I’m doing the best I can,” Kevin replied, honking the car horn. “Dammit, just keep low Nick.”

“What’s wrong?”

“People are blocking the entrance,” Kevin stated through gritted teeth as he sounded the horn again. “God, they won’t move.”

”Just run them over! Get me outta here!”

“I can’t just plow into them....”

“Yes you can, DO IT!

Kevin gripped the steering wheel thightly. “Hold on.”

Miraculously, the crowd parted when they realized that Kevin would drive over them if they didn’t move. Speeding up the driveway, he slammed on the brakes when he realized that the entrance to the garage was blocked. “Fuck.”

“Did we make it through?”

“Yeah, but you’re gonna have to walk to the house, the garage is blocked.”

Nick tugged at the bandanna that covered his scalp. “I wish I had my ball cap.”

Kevin glanced toward the backseat, reached over with his right arm. “You’re in luck, AJ must have left this one.”

Grateful to have something covering the bandanna, Nick put the NY Yankees baseball cap on, lowering the bill over his forehead. “How do I look?”

Despite the nervousness of the situation, Kevin managed a slight grin. “Like a white gang member that ain’t bad enough for the gang.”

“Ha, funny.”

“Wait until I get to your side of the car and then we can go,” Kevin suggested.

“That looks too obvious, I’ll just get out of the car at the same time, okay?”

“Okay, on three..... one, two....”

”HEY NICK! CAN WE ASK YOU SOME QUESTIONS?”

”NICK IS IT TRUE THAT YOU WERE AT ST. MARY’S?”

Nick felt his heart sink as he heard the questions that were being shouted. His steps slowed but Kevin was right behind him, pushing him on gently in the back.

“C’mon, we’re almost there.”

Just when he thought he would be safe when the front door opened, Nick was met by Aaron, his face wet with tears. “Is it true Nick?”

Kevin quickly wrapped an arm around the young teenager. “Aaron, what’s wrong?”

Aaron shrugged Kevin’s arm off his shoulder. “Nick, tell me, is it true?”

Nick looked down at his little brother, confusion etched in his face. “What are you talking about AC?”