- Text Size +
Swollen Issues III - Chapter 44 "What the hell did you say?"

The words echoed in the corridor like thunder and for a moment it was like a time lapse. Time was standing still. Like in slow motion AJ watched Bob Carter turning his face against his, red from fury.

Instantly AJ knew he had stepped out of line, still he didnīt want to let that on and instead said in a cocky tone, "Just what I said. Damn Bob, you would think that Jane would at least come and see her son when he was this sick." He shook his head in disgust, "After all he is her own flesh and blood." His tone was firm but inside he was shaking so bad that he had a hard time standing still. Nervously he waited for the next reaction to come.

And it came. With force.

"AJ let me make some things clear for you." His tone was hard and his eyes cold. "I donīt care what you think of Jane but she is my wife, Nick’s mother, whether you like it or not." The older man balled his fists like he was trying to keep his emotions in check. Taking a deep breath he continued, "I know that me and Jane have our differences but she had a legimite reason for not being here to today."

'Pah,' AJ snorted., 'She was probably at some promotion party.'

Noticing this disgust in the younger man’s face, Bob got even more upset, "Listen punk," he said looking sternly in AJīs eyes, "She is doing the best she can. Jane is a good mother..." AJ rolled his eyes which had Bob tighten his tone, "I wonīt tolerate you talking bad about her." A brief pause then a loud bark was heard, "Did I make myself clear McLean?"

"Eh..ye..yes sir." AJ jerked. Nick’s dad was usually pretty cool and calm but he knew from previous situations that he could have a very bad hot temper while being irritated over something. Nick used to say that they shouldn’t push his dad and now AJ knew why. Fire was practically spewing from his eyes.

"Good!" Bob nodded towards the elevator, "Now show me where Nick is." AJ opened his mouth to say something when Bob added in a more hushed town, "And McLean if I ever catch you saying something bad about Jane infront of Nick....." A young couple with a baby that instanty recognized the two men, smiled widely at them and both Bob and AJ responded with a quick grin. As soon as they had passed Bob wheezed, "I will kick your ass so bad that you wonīt be abe to sit for weeks. Comprende?"

It hadnīt been out of curiousity or being mean he had blurted out the words heīd said. It was more out of concern for his friend and he wanted Bob to realize that Nick was in pretty bad shape and that he had done it out of best intentions. Hopefully the older man would grip that part.

Saying nothing more Bob hurried over to the elevator with long strides, AJ following behind as best as he could. Standing outside the doors he said, "What number is he on? What floor?" His lips were tight like a thin line and a worried frown was etched on his forehead. His eyes moving back and forth nervously. It was clear that AJīs "information" had upset him greatly.

Taking charge of the situation, AJ pressed the button then comfortingly laid his hand on the older mans shoulder, giving a gentle squeeze. "Iīm sorry Bob," he licked his lips nervously, "I didnīt mean what I said earlier." The older man raised an eyebrow as if to say ‘go on Iīm listening.’ "Itīs just...just that Nick ainīt doing so good."

Bob stopped, "What do you mean?"

AJ fidgeted nervously, taking his hand of the other mans shoulder, "Man, they have moved him over to isolation."

"Isolation?" Bob looked him sternly in his eyes. "What youīre saying? I thought they said he only spiked a high fever." There was a mixture of doubt and fright evident in his voice. "Did something happen?" The older man looked seriously worried and AJ could tell that he regretted his choice of going down to LA to see his family just this weekend.

AJ nodded, swallowing hard, "Eh yeah he spiked a pretty high fever and they couldnīt get it down, took some tests but then they found a virus...RV or some shit." AJ stopped to explain, "Itīs that same shit that babies can get."

"RV virus?.." Bob thought for a moment, "You donīt mean the RSV virus?" He never took his eyes off the rebel.

AJ lit up, "Yeah..yeah thatīs the name." He gazed at Nick’s dad, "Youīve heard of it?" Bob nodded and he continued, "anyway they said it was pretty bad and now they’re gonna start him on antibiotics." He looked quickly at Bob just to access how he was taking it all and then continued, "they took him down to isolation you know so he wouldnīt become any sicker and..."

Nick’s dad had been standing silent, taking in every word when he suddenly interrupted, "Bone I need to know something."

"Huh?"

"Did they..did they say that Nick actually was going to die?" His voice was so shaky that AJ feared that he would burst into tears and was having a hard time keeping his emotions in check.

"Eh," AJ fidgeted, "Uh not really..but..but he as a fever over 105 and.."

"105?" Bob gasped.

AJ nodded, "Mmmmm..but you know how Kaos is prone to running pretty high fevers so Iīm sure heīll pull through." He added that out of obligation to say something to enlighten the mood. Comfortably the elvator had reached their floor and a pling was heard as the elevator doors opened. Bob wasted no time in getting off and he sprinted towards the information desk, AJ in tow.

"Iīm here to see my son," he said quickly to the young woman who was working on the computer.

She looked up and said while snapping her gum, "Oh and whatīs his name?"

"Nickolas..Nickolas Gene Carter." Bob was talking fast and it was clear that he wanted to get going to his son as soon as possible.

"Iīm sorry sir but Mr. Carter ainīt allowed any visitors." She talked with a thick southern accent.

"No visitors?" Bob snapped his eyes open, "But Iīm his father, Robert Carter and you called me to get me down here.. ASAP."

"Iīm sorry..doctors orders."

AJ who wasted no time listening to Bob argueing, went into the waiting room where Kevin and Brian sat, involved in what seemed to be, judging from their vivid moves, a heated discussion. "Yo," he said as he arrived, but no one seemed to take notice. The two cousins were much too involved in the "fight" and Howie was no where in sight.

"I’m telling you that you need to make up your mind." Kevin stated. "It wonīt do Nick any good if you decide to stay here and still have your mind on Leigh and the baby. In that case its better that you go back and we call you if there are any changes. Good or bad."

"No..No," Brian shook his head negatively. "I canīt do that especially when Dr. Andersen has put him on the critical list. What if he gets any worse?"

That caught AJ’s attention. What were they saying? What had happened? He wanted to ask but it was clear that neither of the two were inclined to answer.

"Brian you need to rest."

"No..I said no." He was stubborn, "Iīm his patient advocate and Iīm suppose to be there for him." He was talking fast, almost as if in shock.

Kevin didnīt take no for an answer. Grabbing Brian’s shoulder with both hands he said firmly, "Listen to me. Youīre needed at home. Nick has got us and his family and youīre needed with Leigh who has no one else." Brian continued to shake his head when Kevin calmed him down, "YES! Youīre gonna be a dad soon and you need time to relax before that and canīt keep on being here with Nick all the time. You need to be focused and being this stressed out wont do you any good."

For a moment Brian looked close to tears, "I canīt!" he said hastily before standing up real fast, almost knocking down his chair in the process. "Canīt you see..I promised Nick to be there no matter what and now when he is turning for the worse Iīm running away from it all."

'So this was it,' AJ thought. Brian was feeling guilt that Nick wasnīt going to make it. Feeling it fit to cut into the conversation that wasnīt leading anywhere he said, "Kev’s right you know. You better chill out dude. It wonīt do you any good being this stressed out." He got a glare from both of the cousins, "Besides Bob is here now." He nodded towards the reception desk a bit further down the corridor. When neither of the men showed any interest for his arrival he continued, "So when can we go and see Nicky then?"

"We canīt!"

"Huh? What are you saying?" AJ looked at Brian in surprise, "Man how come? We were gonna see him, that intern said that."

"Yeah," Kevin nodded with a sigh, " Dr. Andersen decided that they wanted to keep him in total isolation until they had the virus under control.

"Maaaaaaan!" AJ blurted, "Now I know someone that is going to be pissed.." He didn’t have a chance to end his sentence when they heard a loud, "Iīm demanding to see Dr. Andersen. NOW!" Bob sounded mighty upset. With a sigh the three man stood up and walked to the information desk where Nick’s dad was having another heated conversation. "I have the right to see my son." The young woman with the chewing gum had been accompanied with an older, more corpulent woman in glasses and a bad perm. On her tag you could read that she was one of the head nurses and Brian recognized her from being in Nick’s room on and off.

"Sir," she said calmly, "No one is allowed to visit Mr. Carter, not even family, at this moment. Dr. Andersen will notify when you can go and see him and she will also leave further information."

Upon hearing this the rest of the men got as scared as Bob did. "Has something happened?"

"Iīm sorry but I canīt give out any information about the patinent. HIPPA Laws." The nurse was riding on her authority and this had Bob even more upset.

"LADY I donīt give a damn about that HIPPA bullshit! I was called down from LA and I took the first best flight and now youīre telling me that I can’t see my son and that I donīt get any information. That is bullshit and you know it." The older man was red in his face from anger and Kevin felt it fit to calm the situation down. Grabbing his shoulder he said, "Come on Bob lets go and wait in the waiting room."

The older man shrugged the hand away, "NO! I wanna see my son NOW! What kind of hospital is this?" "Iīm sorry sir," the nurse said again like a broken record, "Itīs hopsital policy and your son is in ICU Isolation. Dr. Andersen has forbid anyone to enter at this stage and until there is any further information I have to ask you to wait in the waiting room sir." She gestured over to the blue sofas.

"I donīt care." Bob breathed in, pointing at Brian, "HE has the right to see him just because he is his patient advocate," pointing to himself he continued, "but not I and Iīm his father." The older man ran his hand through his hair in a desperate gesture. "God he is my son, my oldest." There was dispair in his tone and for a moment Nick’s dad looked so old and torn.

"Iīm sorry sir..Yes his patient advocate was allowed briefly to visit him but right now its strict orders, NO ONE outside the staff is allowed to see him." But as I said before you are all welcome to wait in the waiting room and as soon as there is more news I will come and inform you."

"Tell that Dr. Andersen that when she gets in I wanna have a word or two with her." He snorted in disgust before turning on his heel and walking back with the rest of the men to the waiting room. Howie had returned and he had a worried frown on his forehead, "Any more news?"

Brian shook his head in dispair, "No." His voice cracked and he sat down holding his head in his arms. Like as if he was trying to cover up the fact that he was feeling close to tears.

Howie looked questioning at the rest and Kevin felt it fit to fill in about the situation. Upon hearing this Howie sighed. "I guess all we can do is wait and see.

"Yes there is nothing more we can do!"

************************************************************************ ************************************

Howie D had a hard time sleeping. This was practically unheard of since the Latino was known for falling alseep during all kinds of situations. There were number of times that heīd fallen asleep during airport waits, one time at the information desk, corridors and yes even interviews. It was irritating but he couldnīt help it as soon as he sat down his whole body started to relax and he drifted off to a comfortable numbness..except this time. Never before had they been forced to spend their night over at the hospital fearing for their little brothers life.

Heīd watched his friends all fall asleep, one by one while he moved restlessly on the hard armchair trying desperately to find a comfortable position. Sighing for the umpteenth time that night he noticed that they all slept pretty soundly. There had been no further information about Nick’s condition other than he was stable and they were trying to bring down the fever. Bob had first been pretty upset but he had calmed down when he realized that the hospital staff was just doing their jobs. Brian had been upset too, even if heīd done his best to hide it, and he had ended up cancelling the flight back home. Heīd also spent some time talking to Leighanne and judging from his expression she wasnīt that thrilled. Yet when they asked him about it, heīd just shrugged it all away saying that as soon as Nick’s condition got a bit better he would fly back to Atlanta.

Looking up at the clock on the wall he noticed that it was a little after four in the morning. There had also been a commotion of nurses and doctors going back and forth and when the signal had gone off to one of the rooms. Howie’s heart had nearly stopped. Heīd tried hard to see what room number the alarm was going to and to his satisfaction he noticed that it wasnīt Nick’s room number 26. Stretching his legs he tried to work out the kinks in his joints and heīd decided to pay a visit to the restroom. Carefully he stood up, afraid to wake any of his "brothers" up. Just when he thought he was out of the woods he heard Brian shifting on the sofa.

"Dīis that you?" he rasped hoarsly, trying to sit up.

Shit! The last thing he needed was to wake one of the guys up, especially Brian who was on the verge of exhaustion,"Yeah..go back to sleep," he whispered, before adding, "Iīm just on my way to the restroom."

"Iīm not asleep," Brian mumbled. "You heard anything more about Nick?"

"No."

"Strange..we should have heard something by now." Brian had sat up straight in his sofa, and wiped the sleep out of his eyes. "But I guess no news in this case is good news..right?"

Howie nodded, "Mmmm probably. Iīm going to the restroom and then Iīm getting a cup of coffee, you want one?"

"Sure. I canīs sleep anyway."

"Ok then," Howie smiled briefly "Iīll be back." With that he went to take care of his business. On his way back he passed the information desk and heard the two nurses talking about room 26. Straining his ears he heard them talk about that the patients fever had spiked even higher and they were discussing giving him stronger antibiotics, the word fluid in the lungs was also heard. This had Howie’s heart take a leap. A gigantic one. Upon his return, he noticed that all but AJ had woken up and he instantly shared the information heīd heard. This caused Bob to go up to the information desk and demand to hear something from the doctor in charge. Pronto!

This time the nurses hadnīt tried to push him away and actually told them that as soon as the doctor came in they would be given some information. This had them all sitting in silence, waiting patiently for the doctor to arrive. No one had anything to say and it was like they were all deep in their own thoughts. Howie’s was on Caroline and when heīd missed her by a few hours. If things, God forbid, ever came to this with Nick he would make sure that he would be there when it happened.....if it were possible.

Just when they had all given up the prospect of finding anything out they heard, "Iīll take it that you are all family to Mr. Carter?" Looking up they noticed a blonde man in his forties standing there with a tired expression on his face.

"Yes?"

"Iīm Dr. Patterson, and Iīm in charge of Mr. Carter tonight. I heard you wanted some information about the patient." He shook each and everyones hand, and before he opened his mouth to speak Bob said quickly,

"Iīm his father, Robert Carter, why canīt I go and see my son?"

All their eyes were turned towards the doctor who ran a hand through his hair in a tired gesture, "Iīm afraid that Mr. Carter is running a pretty high fever.."

"How high?" Brian wanted to know.

"Itīs been 106.5 but we managed to get it down half a degree to 106."

"What?"

"Maaaaaaaaan."

"That is high!"

"Isnīt that what can cause brain damage?"

"AJ!"

Their comments were all different but their expression all held the same fright. Fright that Nick was in a very bad condition.

"Do you know what causes it?"

"Itīs the RSV virus but Iīm afraid that Mr. Carter has developed pneumonia too."

"This fast?" Howie looked chocked.

"Yes," the doctor chuckled lightly mostly out of despair. "Those little buggers can be tough and work fast."

"Will he make it?" AJ asked silently and all their eyes turned towards the younger man. Kevin looked especially annoyed.

"Weīre setting in some heavy antibiotics and now we have turned off the chemo and...." He was instantly interrupted by Brian.

"Chemo? But how will you fight his cancer?"

"We will take one step at a time, right now we are trying to stop the pneumonia from spreading to both of his lungs and to prevent them to being filled up with fluid."

Bob looked pale, not saying anything as the doctor continued, "His body needs to rest so that he can fight this virus.."

"So it doesnīt kill him before the cancer does." AJīs words were dark and this had Kevin jabbing him in his side, "AJ!" AJ looked up and was about to say something when the doctor agreed, "Yes this young man is right...he will have to deal with the cancer after this." A buzzing sound was heard and the doctor instantly reached for a small device attached to his belt. After looking at it he clicked it off and said, "Iīm sorry I have to get going."

"Thank you for the information." Bob looked as defeated as the rest of them felt.

"Oh no problem," the doctor smiled briefly, "but I would suggest that if Mr. Carter has any other family you should call them and inform about his condition." He looked sternly at Nick’s father who shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

This was turning out to be a worse situation than they could ever imagine.