- Text Size +
Nick stared with disgust at the breakfast tray. His stomach was doing sommersaults just looking at the green dazzling unappetitizing guck that laid on the plate in front of him.

Jello!

Never in his life had he liked that stuff and heīd been lucky enough not having to encounter it too many times in the past. Digging into the alien-like substance with his spoon he did his best not to gag. After all this was his first "solid" breakfast in a long time and he should be happy to be off that formula crap that he heīd been fed through the J-tube. He didnīt want to be ungrateful, it was just that when the name breakfast was being mentioned he didn’t invision something as gross as this! Instead he had hoped for a plate of scrambled eggs and bacon or even better - a large bowl of Captain Crunch cereal swimming in a large bowl covered in milk!

Taking a sip of water he rinsed out the vile taste from his mouth. Feeling that there was no way he could eat another bite he pushed the tray aside and pressed on the call button in hopes that someone would come and pick the tray up so it wouldnīt assault his senses anymore.

No one showed up.

They were either occupied with another patient or didnīt give a damn about his situation. Whatever it was they better hurry since there was an even more pressing matter at stake too. He was dying to use the bathroom. Looking at the closed bathroom door across his room he pondered his options. Did he dare get out of bed even though there were strict regulations that he was not allowed under ANY circumstances to go there on his own? Or did he have to wait for someone to come to his aid?

Neither solutions were good because last time he had disobeyed orders heīd ended up on the floor from a fainting spell and in the process got a good reprimand from every nurse in the building as well as his own doctor. Not to mention from the guys. No matter how desperate he was this was not an option, especially since he didnīt like to be treated like a small kid.

Groaning he pressed the call button harder, hoping that someone would show up. He felt very uncomfortable and fidgeted around in bed, trying to find a good position. 'Damn if they didnīt hurry up he would have to use a bedpan,' he thought disgusted as he once more pushed the bed tray out of his reach. Just when he thought heīd be stuck in this hell hole of a bed for the duration of the day the door opened and someone came into the room.

"Itīs about time," he snarled, "I thought I was gonna spend the whole day here..rotting."

"Mr. Carter we have other patients to tend to and you have to wait your turn," an unfriendly voice responded.

Shit! Nick bit his lip. It was that nurse from hell that heīd come to dislike so much. His day was not going in a good direction if this kept up.

"Anyway you did call, is there a problem?" she asked before turning off the call button.

"Eh..uh.." her annoyed expression made him stutter and for a moment he reasoned with himself to just bear down and take it if he was really going to ask for the aid that he so desperatly needed. But then he decided that there were no time in being stubborn so instead he said, "I just called for someone to pick this up and I also..,"

Not listening to what he had in mind she interrupted him, "Itīs not good for you laying here in the dark." Not waiting his reply she walked briskly towards the window, pulling the curtains aside. "There thatīs better," she snickered as a string of sunshine made it into the otherwise dusk room.

Nick watched in silence. Heīd never been much of a morning person and hated chipper people in the morning, especially if they pulled the curtains up before he had a chance to object. This was something the guys knew very well and there had been more than one occassion when they had used this to get him up in the morning, only to notice how grouchy he would become.

"Donīt look so grumpy boy," the nurse said with a thick southern accent, "A little sunshine wonīt hurt you."

Irritated that she was deciding what he should do he glared in silence back at her. They were all treating him like a small kid and it was starting to get annoying as hell. He was sick and tired of people butting into his life, telling him what he could or couldnīt do. Heck he wasnīt even allowed to go to the bathroom alone anymore and it sucked.

"Can you please take this away," he grumbled, pointing at the tray.

Without a word she walked up to his bed and just when she was about to remove the tray tray she burst out, "Oh My God boy, you havenīt eatin' a thing!"

She was making it like heīd done something wrong or even worse committed a crime.

"Huh?"

"Why, havenīt you eaten anything," she said with a frown, "Something wrong?"

"No," he shook his head. "Iīm just not hungry."

"Not hungry?" Her voice was clear and shrill. "But you have barely touched the food. You need to eat or else you wonīt keep your strength up." She was lecturing him like he was a little kid.

She was really starting to get on his nerves. "Well Iīm done anyway. Now can you kindly take this tray away?"

"Youīre sure?"