- Text Size +

Nick’s favorite nurse, Cyndi walked into his hospital room, arms burdened with supplies. “Still not here yet?” she asked as her eyes swept the room.

Nick managed a tight smirk. “Nah, probably stuck in traffic or something,” he sighed in reply. Although he had waited for this day to come for weeks, Nick found himself not feeling excited about it, but rather he found himself wondering if this was such a good idea.

Cyndi laid the supplies on the bed tray and sat on the corner of the bed. “Okay, somethings bugging you..........Nick? Earth to Nick....”

Nick jumped when his eyes focused on the young woman’s hand waving in front of his face. “Huh?”

“You spaced out on me....”

He could feel the heat rise to his cheeks. “I did not.”

“C’mon Nick, something is bugging you.....I know you pretty good now to tell when you’re up and when you’re down and right now you seem to be pretty low for a guy to be checking out of the hospital this morning.”

Shrugging his shoulders in reply, Nick looked away from Cyndi’s gaze. He met his match in stubborness because the nurse wasn’t going to let a shrug suffice as an answer.

“Spill it now or I’ll call Dr. Petersen in...”

Upon hearing the name of the psychologist, Nick’s eyes widened. “NO!”

Cyndi chuckled at her patient’s response. “I knew that would get you....seriously, why are you acting down?”

Smoothing the blankets across his chest, Nick took a deep breath. “Um, well I guess I’m wondering if this is such a good idea now....you know, leaving? I mean Dr. Andersen pretty much has got me freaked out about germs and stuff and I dunno......”

The young nurse laid a comforting hand on her patient’s shoulder. “I know you’re a little worried about this but gosh Nick, hospitals aren’t that sanitary. There are sooo many airborne pathologens swimming around here you’d have a better chance taking a week off from here before you go into isolation, and remember that your friend Kevin has been instructed about precautions with you and he is going to make sure you do what you’re suppose to.”

Being reminded that Kevin was going to be left in charge of his care at home, Nick could only roll his eyes. ‘Yes, Kevin was a good friend, but he was also anal as hell when it came to certain things,’ Nick thought to himself.

“Okay what are you thinking about now?”

A smile tugged at Nick’s mouth. “Kevin.”

Cyndi grinned back. “So I’m guessin’ that it’s a good thing?”

“Yeah, but you really gotta know Kev I suppose....”

“What do you mean you really gotta know me?” the tall Kentuckian called out as he strode into the hospital room flanked by Howie and AJ.

“How anal you are.”

Kevin arched an eyebrow in response.

“So Kaos, you ready to blow this place?” AJ rasped.

Cyndi looked at Nick questionably.

“Um yeah I think I am,” came the uncertain response.

Howie stepped up to the side of Nick’s bed laying a plastic grocery bag on his lap. “We brought you some sweats and a tee shirt and stuff to wear home. I doubted that you’d want to wear that hospital crap any longer than you had to.”

Nick peered into the opening of the white bag. “Thanks........ you didn’t have to buy me new stuff, I have plenty of sweats at home....”

“Nothing that would fit you,” AJ quickly pointed out and then instantly regretted his words. “I’m sorry...”

Nick held his hand up. “Don’t be sorry, I know it’s true.......hey dark green! My favorite color,” he smirked as he held up the sweatpants. His happy expression eased up for a moment. “I really think this might be too small though.”

“I kinda figured that you’d be in a medium,” Kevin replied.

“Yeah probably every place but here,” Nick said as he gently patted his swollen stomach.

“Nick, you make do then, just wear the waistband below your stomach,” Cyndi stated.

AJ grinned. “Just like the old days Nicky.”

Smiling, Nick stuck his middle finger up in reply.

“I couldn’t help it........”

“I know Jay and thanks,” Nick grinned.

The room was silent for a moment before it shifted to an uncomfortable silence.

“Um, I can put my shirt on I think but I know I’m gonna need help with the other stuff......”

“Shit, what were we thinking?” AJ rasped, shaking his head.

“Don’t get all uncomfortable about Jay, please,” Nick begged. “There’s just some stuff I can’t do by myself right now and stepping into my pants and boxers is something I need help with.....well that and other things...” his voice trailed.

“If you want I can help while the guys step out,” Cyndi offered.

“How about I help you buddy,” Kevin said as he stepped up and took the plastic bag from his young brother’s lap.

“Jeeze Train, Nick here might want the pretty nurse helping him,” AJ said as he winked at Nick.

Kevin gave the nurse an uncertain look as he cleared his throat. “Um, I think its something that I gotta get used to again so I might as well do it now.”

As much as he wished he could protest the ‘fighting’ over who was going to help him get dressed, Nick bit his bottom lip as he listened to Cyndi, Kevin and AJ argue about his status as if he weren’t even in the room.

“He’s pretty weak, I think maybe it would be a good idea if I show you how you need to do---”

“I’m sure he puts his shorts on one leg at a time still,” Kevin snapped as he cut off the nurse.

“Well we can’t run the risk of him falling and getting cut,” Cyndi pointed out.

“There really isn’t much to Nick now and I bet he could get hurt easily,” Howie softly observed.

“STOP IT!”

Four sets of eyes turned at looked at the pale man laying in the bed, their mouths dropped opened.

“Nicky take it easy,” Howie urged placing a gentle hand on Nick’s shoulder. But Nick didn’t want to have anything to do with being calm as he dipped his shoulder away from the Latino.

“Please stop fighting over me like I’m not even here,” he cried.

“Nick, calm down......we’re just trying to help you,” Kevin stated in a hushed whisper.

The emotions Nick had been fighting back were stinging his eyes, aching in his throat. He looked up at his friends; his vision blurred by the pooling of tears. Once he blinked, they started to spill.

Quickly wiping the tears from his cheeks, Nick pointed at the white bag in Kevin’s hand. “Just give me the clothes, I’ll get dressed myself.”

“Whoa Carter, not on my clock you’re not,” the young nurse warned.

AJ raised an eyebrow at Cyndi’s words. “Geeze Nick, she’s got you figured out.”