- Text Size +
Elle sat on the floor of the stage waiting for AJ at around one a.m. that night. She told Howie she was going to meet AJ, and even though he seemed a little worried, Elle assured him that nothing would happen.

It seemed that Elle had completely lost the AJ she knew as her best friend. After their breakup two years ago, things had been pretty rocky.

“Hey you.” Her head shot up when she heard AJ’s voice. He sat down across from her. He was wearing a wife beater and sweat pants. He had just taken a shower so he smelled clean and his hair was still wet.

“Hey, I didn’t think you were coming.” She smiled.

“I told you I would, didn’t I?”

“Yes, but it’s been forever since we’ve even had a conversation Age. We’re supposed to be best friends.”

He sighed, “Yeah. I know, well...how are things with you and D?”

“Great,” she smiled, “I mean, I think it's getting pretty serious.”

AJ nodded, his face expressionless. “He loves you very much.”

Elle smiled even though she could see that something was wrong with AJ. “I don’t know why.”

“Now why do you say that?” AJ questioned her.

“Oh I don’t know. Age, what’s wrong. Please tell me.”

“What do you mean?” AJ lied.

“Don’t start Age, you know I know you too well. Your face, something’s wrong. I’m worried about you. I always worry about you.”

He was surprised to hear her say that, “You worry about me?”

“Of course I do, so tell me.” She smiled sincerely at him and scooted closer, hoping he would just tell her what had been bothering him.

AJ sighed looking at Elle was just making everything worse. All he wanted to do was just scream “I love you! Can’t you see?! You left me and now I can’t live without you”.
Instead AJ smiled and said, “Do you remember when you and I went on that roller coaster at Six Flags and you barfed all over that guy with the huge bald spot?”

Elle burst out laughing, “What the hell Age??!!”

He started laughing with her, “I just couldn’t get the image out of my head where you were like ‘I’m so sorry sir’ blahhhhh.”

“Thank you for allowing me to remember that embarrassing moment in our history.”

“Hey I’ve got more.”

“And I’ve got a ton about you that I could potentially share with the guys if you tell any more of my embarrassing stories.”

“Oh hun, they know ‘em all.” He grinned.

“You didn’t tell Howie about my barfing story did you?”

“Great,” AJ thought to himself, “We’re back on the topic of Howie.”

“Did you Age?” She laughed.

“I guess you’ll never know will you?”

“I wish we were still sixteen.”

“Oh I don’t, I was so awkward.” AJ laughed.

“Oh stop, you were just trying to grow sideburns that’s all.”
“I succeeded eventually didn’t I?” He said touching his now fully grown in sideburns.

“Yeah you did, I love it. I tell you one thing I didn’t like though Age, the blue hair. What were you thinking?”

“It was only for a little while! I was going through a phase.”

“You should have consulted me before going through that phase.”

“Oh hey now.” AJ smiled.

"Sorry but it's true!" She playfully nudged him.

"Well what about the time when you decided to chop almost all your hair off into this spiky...something."

"Hey Hey Hey!!! Why don't you ask the other twelve million people who did their hair like that when they were 16."

AJ laughed again, "Alright, alright."

"I miss this Age." She looked down at her lap.

"So do I hun." His eyes grazed over her every feature. God how he hated moments like these. Moments where he wished he could just scoop her up in his arms and kiss her with everything he had in him.

"We're best friends its not supposed to be like this. I mean I haven't talked with you, I mean really talked with you in months."

He felt like saying, "Why don't you ask your boyfriend about that one." But instead he replied, "I know."

"AJ serioulsy what is bothering you? Talk to me. Don't change the subject, don't sidetrack just talk to me."

He had to lie, "Elle, sweetie, nothing is bothering me. I'm alright, really." He gave her a small smile to reassure her of something he knew wasn't true.

She paused, knowing there was something under the surface that she wasn't telling him, but she decided to let it go. "Fine, but we need to make sure that this isn't the last time we talk and laugh with eachother okay?"

"Of course. There will me many more of these humilating conversations to come."

She laughed, "If you tell Howie about the barf I will kill you, you know that right?"

"Yeah I know, I just might be willing to accept the punishment."

She stood up and crossed her arms, "McLean."

He stood up as well, "Yes?"

"I'm serious."

"Oh I know." He loved playing with her.

Her eyes narrowed, "Alright."

He just laughed, "Cool it Stevens I'm not going to tell your lover about the barf fest okay?"

She shook her head smiling, "Good. Now can I have a hug?"

His eyes softened, "Definatley, come here." He held his arms out for her and she walked into them, resting her head on his shoulder. Her arms curved around AJ's stomach and he sighed quietly. He held her tightly and rubbed her back slowly and gently.

If only she knew.