- Text Size +
Earthquake



No this couldn't be happening none of this was supposed to happen Brian though as he looked around the ruined house, then down at his friend Nick who lay smashed under a heavy bookshelf. Earlier he had thought his friend was dead but he realized that Nick had only passed out from the pain.

Screams of pain rang in his ears he guessed that some of the party guests had been hurt. Yes that was how the evening had started out, a birthday party for Nick. Nick who had just turned 23. The party had started off great but then an earthquake had hit. The first one wasn't very bad and no damage was done, but the second one had been the one to cause his friend to be trapped.

"Brian are you alright?" His older cousin Kevin called out trying to make his way to where Brian was kneeling.

"I'm fine Kevin, but Nick isn't. A huge bookcase fell on him and he is pinned down. He is not doing good he has passed out."

Kevin scrambled over so stuff and made his way to Brians side. He knelt next to him and looked down at Nick.

"Shit man this isn't looking very good. Nick, bro, can you hear me?" He asked the youngest member of the band patting his cheek trying to wake him up. There was no response to the older band member.

Kevin sighed and looked at Brian. He tried not to look panicked as he spoke in a calm tone.

"The other guys are doing alright, I'll go get them and mabe all four of us can get the bookshelf off of him, if not there are other guys here that can help us. We will save Nick from his prison."

With that Kevin got up and went to get the guys. Along the way he looked around checking on other people. One of their friends Ben, had a huge gash on his arm and another friend Tina was trying her best to clean it up. He got to the guys and told them the problem. Jerry, Max, and Tom were with the guys and they went to help also.

Kevin heard a stragled cry and turned toward the kitchen. A young girl, a friend of Howie, named Brittney was kneeling next to a body crying. Kevin went to her to see if the person also needed help. As he got closer he began to grow an uneasy feeling. On the floor lying in a puddle of blood lay her boyfriend Steven. Kevin knelt down and checked Steven then turned to Brittney.

She was dirty from all the dust but tears streaked down her cheeks.

"Hey are you ok?" He knew it was a stupid thing to ask but he didn't know what else to say.

"He's dead Kevin, Steven is dead." Sobs raked her body and Kevin hugged her trying to calm her down. A couple of her friends came to her so he got up and went to Nick.

Together the guys worked to get Nick free. It was hard work but about an hour later they were able to get the case off of him. The whole time Nick never opened his eyes. As carefully as they could, the guys worked on getting Nick onto a couch without hurting him. Kevin looked at his little brother and begged him to open his eyes so he could tell them what they needed to do for them.

"Dear God, it's me Brian. As you may know my best friend Nick got hurt in the earthquake that happened a while ago. Please God, he is my little brother and I love him, make him well."

Tears were now spilling from all of the guys eyes. It was so painful for them to watch their friend and not being able to really help him.

"All we can do now guys is wait for a miricle and just pray to God that Nicky wakes up." Kevin said to his younger brothers. It was hurting all of them deeply. One of their family members was hurt and all they could do was sit back and wait.

It seemed as hours went by. Brian refused to leave Nicks side but the others went around to try and help injured people. As bad as it all was there were only two huge deals. One being that Steven was dead and the other that Nick was seriously hurt.

They then started to get everything cleaned up and kept the tv on, which luckily hadn't been broken, to get updates on what was going on. It seemed that not just Nicks house but the whole city seemed to be pretty bad. The newsreporter told them not to be calling 911, that as soon as possible a poliece car should check up on the house.

Brian grew angry. "I can't believe it! We can't call anyone for help. By then it might be too late for NIck!"

"Brian you can't think negative like that. Nick is gonna be ok. Help will get here." Kevin tried to keep the worry out of his voice.

Brian nodded but at that moment he couldn't believe in Kevin. He wasn't going to do anything until Nick was awake and ok. He refused to leave Nicks side. He took Nicks hand, closed his eyes and prayed. The only one Brian had faith in was God and he knew God wouldn't let him down. He never did.

Kevin sat back and watched his cousin. He closed his eyes thinking of the party and how happy everyone was. He was so scared of how bad NIcks condition could be. He wished that he was at home asleep next to his wife and that when he woke up that all of this would be just a bad dream. A very bad dream.

Kevin sat up suddenly with a jerk his green eyes wide. He cocked his head to the side wondering if he was imagining things.

Brian looked over at his older cousin wondering what was going on. Then he heard it. It was a poliece car. He jumped up and ran to the window and looked outside. The squad car was a house down.

"OMG Kevin, I think everything is going to be ok. I think that Nick is going to make it!." Tears of joy ran down his face.

He took a step towards Kevin and suddenly his eyes widdened with horror. There was a rumble and once again the earth began to shake.

There was a loud crack and the ceiling began to crumble. Panick swept through Brian as he realized what was going on. An Aftershock was hitting the city. Brian met Kevins eyes which were filled with terror.