- Text Size +
Aftershock



Brians heart raced when he felt the ground shaking again. He realized what was going on. The city was being hit with an aftershock. He stumbled and fell foreward in front of Kevin who reached down and helped him up. The heard the crack and realized that the ceiling was gonna fall in. Both Brian and Kevin threw themselfs ontop of Nick to try to protect him.

Screams of terror echoed through the house and soon Brian and Kevin were joined by AJ and Howie. All they wanted to do was protect their friend and make sure he didn't get hurt anyworse. They waited for the ceiling to fall but it didn't. Just a huge crack formed on it and pieces of it fell off and landed on them. Once it was over they sat up and dusted themselves off.

"When will this horrible nightmare ever end?" Howie sighed.

Nobody had an answer for him. They were all scared and wishing that it was over.

"Brian?" Brian jumped in shock. Was he hearing things? He looked down at Nick whose eyes were fluttering.

"Nick man are you awake? Can you hear me?"

"Brian whats going on?" Nicks voice was only a little above a whisper. "I feel so much pain."

"Nick everything is going to be ok. There was an earthquake and a bookshelf landed on you but are going to be ok. The guys and I won't let anything happen to you. We are all going to get through this."

Nick gave him a weak smile. All of the other guys looked down on him worried. AJ got up and moved to the door clearing things aside to make room for the emergancy people. He went outside just as two poliece men pulled up into the cracked driveway.

"How bad is it in there?" One officer asked.

AJ shrugged. "Our friend Nick is really hurt and one of our other friends is dead."

The officers pushed their way in and moans of pain met their ears once again. The officers wore confident expressions on their faces but deep down they felt helpless seeing so much agony before their eyes.

AJ led them to where Nick lay. As gently as they could, they lifted Nick up and carried him out to the car. Nick passed out once again from the pain. The officers went back inside to see if any other people needed to be taken to the hospitle. Luckily the others only had tiny scrapes and cuts, not serious injury

All of the guys went to the hospitle to support Nick. The ouside world was a disatster. Brian stared out the window shocked to see a place they loved be destoryed. The hospitle was a mad house but Nick seemed pretty bad so the doctor agreed to see him right away.

"A bookshelf feel on him and kept him pinned for a while. We got him out as soon as we could with out hurting him." Kevin told the doctor.

Brian waited with the others outside Time seemed to crawl by before Kevin came back out. Brian felt his heart leap to his throat when he saw Kevins face. The guys all jumped up and faced their older friend.

"Nick borke several ribs. One punctured his left lung and it is bleeding. They don't think he will last until morning."

Brian felt his stomach turn violently. He threw up in a near by trashcan and sat up crying once he was finished. All of the guys were also crying. How could they accept that their youngest friend was dying?

Kevin tried to calm him down but Brian couldn't stop crying. He was losing his best friend, his little brother. He picked up a chair and threw it across the room. A nurse ran in starlted. Brian was in a daze and didn't realize what he was doing. The nurse had to sedate him to calm him down.

All through the night, the guys took turns visiting Nick. Around midnight when Brian was calmer he went to NIcks room and was surprised to find a young woman with him.

"Are you a nurse?" Brian asked cooly.

The woman turned around. She had startling violet eyes and long blond hair. She was very beautiful maybe 23.

"No, I am not a nurse. My name is Edwina."

"Well this is a private room. If you are fan you have no right to be here so please leave. Nick is dying and we would like to spend his finals hours with him not having to deal with some phsyco fan."

Edwina turned to Nick and placed her hand over his ribs and kissed his forhead. She got up with out saying anything and walked out the door. Brian looked and Nick and sat down. He felt guilty for being so harsh so he went to the door to see if he could stop Edwina and apologize.

He looked down the hall and was shocked that he didn't see her. He turned and went back into Nicks room stopping short. Above Nicks bed Edwina floated. She was bathed in a bright light and huge white feather wings flapped around Nick.

Brian heard singing and knew he was hearing the heavenly choir. He stood still watching Edwina singing above Nick. Tears fell from his eyes. After a few moments Edwina disapeared and the room grew dark. Brian ran to Nicks bedside.

"Everything will be alright." Brian turned and saw Edwina with out wings standing by the door. She smiled at Brian and left.

Brian walked back out to the waiting room. He didn't tell the others anything. Early the next morning the doctors came into the waiting room.

"It should be soon."

They all got up and went to Nicks room prepared to say goodbye. As they walked in they all came to a dead stop. Nick was sitting up in bed eating his breakfast slowly. Brian looked over and saw Edwina sitting by the bed. It didn't seem like anyone but Brian and Nick knew she was there.

The doctors were amazed and check Nick. Only 2 ribs were cracked and there was no bleeding in his lung. They declared a miricle.

Brian went outside for some air.

"God has given Nick another chance to live Brian, he was not finished here on earth. You are a good friend."

Edwina stood before Brian and he smiled. She touched his cheek and warmth filled him.

Months had gone by and Nick was better. They guys sometimes joked about Nick wanting a rest so he went and got his ribs cracked.

"Nick if you wanted break you could have just asked for one." Kevin said smiling down at Nick.

"Kevin you are a slave drive. You wouldn't listen. This was my only choice." Nick said laughing.

Brian stood back smiling watching his friends joke together. Nick had changed after he got out of the hospitle. He had been touched by an angel.