- Text Size +

Before I knew what was happening, Kevin and Howie had grabbed me and were carrying me back inside the radio station. Why the hell didn't thtey think of this brillant idea before I puked up in front of everyone out there? "How come we're back in here," I mumbled as I looked at my surroundings.

"I am starting to get worried by all of this," Howie said as he looked down at me and then at Kevin.

"This is the last time Pearlman controls us!" Kevin replied as he glanced at his watch.

"I hope I don't puke my guts out ever again too....but I doubt I can promise that," I sobbed. I felt so weird right now. It wasn't like I had the flu I just felt really weird.

"So what are you going to do," Howie asked.

Did they not hear me? Why are they ignoring me? "Guys.....hello? People up there.....Earth to Kevin......c'mon this is my job to space out not you guys.....why aren't they listening to me?"

"Look at him, he doesn't have a fever but he isn't making any sense, just mumbling and that has me really concerned," Kevin replied as he studied my face.

My eyes blurred with tears as I looked up at Kevin's face. I caused more problems for us once again by causing that scene in front of the fans and as always Kevin was going to pay the price for my mistakes again. "I'm sorry Kev," I sniffled.

"Easy there little man," Kevin said as he rubbed my shoulder. "Howie do you think you can get Lou to come in here and take a look at Nick? I think maybe it will get into his thick head if he sees how bad off this kid is."

"I'm sorry.." I whined. "My head hurts really bad Kevin."

"Sh-h-h, don't try to talk Nicky," Kevin said quietly as he watched Howie leave to go get our manager.

I tried to clear my throat. "My head hurts."

Instead of acknowledging my comment, I found Kevin rubbing my upper arm in a circular motion. I thought I told him clearly that my head hurt....

"Can I have some Tylenol?"

"Sh-h-h-h....just close your eyes Nicky."

It seemed as if I had only closed my eyes for a few moments but the next thing I knew, my stomach started to feel like it was going to do an encore performance and I was going to hurl. Must be that Kevin heard me gagging because he quickly shoved a waste basket next to the couch. I was so embarrassed to think I was going to throw up again, I closed my eyes tight, praying that I wasn't gonna over shoot the small container. After a few minutes of dry heaving, I opened my eyes.

"Are you feeling any better?"

I looked up to find that Kevin was knelt beside me, his face had that 'concerned fatherly look.'

Wow! I figured I would be left alone when I got ready to throw up again but for some reason Kevin stayed by side.

I did feel a little better but now I wanted to get that taste out of my mouth more than anything. Nodding my head, I managed to say "Thirsty." That put Kevin into sudden action. I'll have to admit, the bottled water that was offered seemed better than a boat ride on the ocean for me right about now.

"Easy there Nick, take it slow....you don't want to get sick again."

I shook my head in agreement and handed the bottle back. "Thanks."

"You're welcome."

"Kev?"

"Yes Nick."

"What did the fans do when I got sick? I mean, did they stay for autographs or...."

"S-h-h-h don't worry about that, Brian and AJ are taking care of that now try and get some rest, I'll try and get you back to the hotel as soon as I can."

I felt like I had just closed my eyes for a few minutes when the next thing I knew, I was staring up at Lou, Johnny, Kevin and Howie. I immediately thought I had done something wrong - I mean Lou never catches anyone of us laying down when we're suppose to be working and here I was laying flat on my back. Just as I started to make a move to sit up, I was immediately met with Kevin and Howie's hands pushing me back onto the couch.

"Stay down Nick," Howie said to me in a gentle, but firm voice.

Okay this had to be serious, Howie never sounds firm!

"I'm sorry I musta fell asleep, lemme go, I can go back to work now," I defended weakly.

"You bet you'll be going back to work! I can't believe how you let lazy Carter get away with this again!"

"Get away with what?"

"Kevin, Mr. Pearlman is right, I was being lazy and I tried to get out of work again," I said as I tried to get back up.

"No Nick! Lay back down! Lou how many times do you have to see that this kid is sick? He's been through the wringer and he is starting to pay for it with his health," Kevin said in my defense.

"Carter is nothing but a big baby! He couldn't even make it to the bathroom on time and puked in front of all those poor innocent fans!"

"It just hit me so quick I didn't have time to get to the bathroom, I'm sorry. I-I don't feel well but I think I can keep working though, I don't want to let the fans down."

"See! Carter knows what he has to do."

"No, it's more like Nick is scared to do anything without worrying about getting in trouble," Howie jumped in. "He's so scared of stepping out of your grip he works when he clearly shouldn't have been."

"Carter is a baby and makes a big deal about nothing!" Pearlman shouted.

I cupped my hands over my ears. "Please don't yell it makes my head hurt worse."

Kevin stepped in front of the manager, sticking his face inches away from his. "He's done Lou!"

"Phfish! There's nothing you can do to stop me Richardson."

Kevin had this weird look cross his face. I think I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I seriously was getting scared!

"Wanna bet? I will go to the press and tell them how badly we've been treated by you andJohnny!"

"Like they would believe you."

"They may not believe about us being mistreated but they will about how badly Nick's been treated. We have proof with his little accident last week," Howie added.

I wasn't sure, but I think I saw Lou's face get as white as a sheet, which would be a miracle since that guy's face was always red and sweaty!

"Go back out there Richardson....Dorough, those fans have been standing out in the heat long enough and you must not keep them waiting. I'll take care of the boy," Pearlman said with a smile that didn't reach his eyes.

This had me really scared because from my past experiences alone with Lou none of them had been good ones.

"No, I'm staying here with Nick, you go call the airlines and book our flights for tonight and Howie will go finish the autograph session," Kevin said as he took a seat on the edge of my couch.

God Kevin is my all-time-personal hero! He must be able to read minds.

"Remember Lou, you don't do what I ask, all it takes is one phone call," Kevin reminded.

Wow! Kevin has balls! Although my head was pounding like someone was beating me it with a rock I was actually proud of the old man standing up to Lou.

Pealman left the lobby, mumbling something about how this was going to be a lot more expensive booking a flight to Florida at the last minute for the five of us plus the two managers. I could tell by the look that Kevin was giving that he could have cared less about how much money it cost. He seemed to be more concerned about me than about anyone or anything else. That made me feel pretty good in a way and pretty bad too, I guess. I didn't want to cause trouble.